IE Easily Beats Chrome, Firefox Security, Says Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
All three browsers are becoming so homogeneous with each other, can you honestly tell a difference anymore?

All three browsers have exploits. Therefore, all three browsers fail.

PICK YOUR POISON.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]All three browsers are becoming so homogeneous with each other, can you honestly tell a difference anymore?All three browsers have exploits. Therefore, all three browsers fail.PICK YOUR POISON.[/citation]
I can tell a difference because some browsers won't render certain pages correctly, while others do...

It has become a browser caruselle.

G

Microsoft, protecting idiots from themselves, next version of windows will come with free a bubble wrap coat........

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]BubbleWrapMe[/nom]Microsoft, protecting idiots from themselves, next version of windows will come with free a bubble wrap coat........[/citation]

Your name is self explanatory then.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]Your name is self explanatory then.[/citation]
Given that is his first and only post, I say troll

Anyways, I don't care about browsers so much. I use FF, have for a while, since I'm too lazy to change it and have little reason to do so, I don't care.

G

The world seems to have forgotten opera's existence. never see it grouped with ff ie and chrome anymore. damn shame because its a great browser and looks beautifully in windows 7 with a few tweaks.

I agree that IE9 is a good improvement over IE 8 but, for the rest it's like comparing apple and bananas.

Firefox with security add-on is simply the best secure web browser.
The problem with IE is that at some point hacker will find zero hour exploits and won't be fix for a while.

But if you want speed I think Chrome does a bit better

Athlon76

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Internet Explorer is THE WORST BROWSER hands down.
Most people are oblivious to IE's lack of proper CSS, HTML and Mime-Type handling and standards in general. Front & Backend developers will all tell you what a pain IE is to work with. The ONLY reason we have to make it work is because people who are computer illiterate don't know other browsers exist and think IE IS the internet. I wish it would go away.

G

@cknobman

if a user needs to be told not to click that download then they really shouldn't be on the net.......

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Yeah, 4.0 out of 10.0 is more like it, for the half-advanced user anyways.

You see, the primary infection vector on any machine is, of course, the user. The user just doesn't get it- they are insecure (in both applications of the word), and so they need idiot protection.
So perhaps it's a good thing that IE9 is at least twice as secure as the users.

Besides- those users will download every browser they see out there (here's looking at you, Safari) just because.

You see, people like us are smart enough that these "ratings" become irrelevant. Users that use different browsers and don't believe we're the millionth visitor to this page.

For example, Firefox (3.6 and beyond), with Adblock Plus (no flash ads to tell us we've won something) and NoScript (to ensure that, even in dangerous sites, that things aren't going to be stealth-downloaded), will be faster than any other browser out there. Why? Because loading ads and scripts always slows the browser down- no matter which one it is.
(It's interesting to note that this little fact is not in benchmark runs.)

Can and do we totally ignore safety and security? Of course not. We just don't need to do as much since those best practices are already in use and ingrained in our memories.

So while I don't agree with arbitrary, semi-fake benchmarks from the companies that make the software, the reality isn't all bad.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
with regard to lucky duck, I wonder how adblock + noscript firefox compares to the others?

The ease of adding extra's to firefox to tailor your browser to your needs means it wins.

I have not much experience with chrome, but it would be retarded of google to have an adblocker to block it's main revenue stream.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
don't forget these unrelated news headlines:

"Chrome easily beats IE and FF security, says Google"
"FF easily beats IE and Chrome security, says Mozilla"
"GM better than Ford, says GM"
"Ford better than GM, says Ford"
"Pakistan sucks, says India"
"India sucks, says Pakistan"

alandjackson

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
I'm not worried about a browser protecting me from downloads, I'm worried about getting infected by just going to a site.

With that said, the main way I measure security is by which browsers fall in the pwn2own competitions.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]I can tell a difference because some browsers won't render certain pages correctly, while others do...It has become a browser caruselle.[/citation]
Like FF7 and IE9 having issues logging into Toms? When I click "sign in" it takes me to the page to register a new account.

[citation][nom]Darkit[/nom]The world seems to have forgotten opera's existence. never see it grouped with ff ie and chrome anymore. damn shame because its a great browser and looks beautifully in windows 7 with a few tweaks.[/citation]
Most of the world never knew Opera existed. The last I heard of Opera, they still hadn't managed to break 1% market share.

[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]All three browsers are becoming so homogeneous with each other, can you honestly tell a difference anymore?All three browsers have exploits. Therefore, all three browsers fail.PICK YOUR POISON.[/citation]
All 3 have stupid users as well, so built in security really makes litle difference.

G

LOL,what a joke.
Using FF I used user agent Switcher, told it I was running IE9, scored 4 out of 4. Switched it off, so that it showed running FF again, scored 2 out of 4. What a total joke of a test. SAME browser, different browser ID. Kinda sad author didn't actually research this before acting like there is really an issue with Chrome or FF.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Like FF7 and IE9 having issues logging into Toms? When I click "sign in" it takes me to the page to register a new account.Most of the world never knew Opera existed. The last I heard of Opera, they still hadn't managed to break 1% market share.All 3 have stupid users as well, so built in security really makes litle difference.[/citation]

Last July they broke 1.65%. But the real thing is it's market share in countries like Georgia and Russia. The numbers there are impressive

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
such claims, like having an antivirus program installed, give you a false sense of security. the user is still the primary factor. you can have the most sophisticated airplane system but if the pilot cannot fly the plane you're still in deep shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.