IE Hater Convinced IE "Sucks Less" in New Microsoft Video

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

someoneelse

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
MS should stop being assinine and allow the best version of IE on ALL windows operating ( including XP ).

This 3 versions of IE thing isn't working out well for anyone.

nonoitall

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
[citation][nom]jackbling[/nom]I understand your frustration, but it should not be on Microsoft if companies refuse to upgrade to a modern OS; from a business standpoint, xp should have been out the door as soon as support ended.That being said, we are stuck on ie8 due a legacy webapp; all system are running windows 7.[/citation]XP is past its prime, sure, but from a browser perspective, why is it not a modern OS? It's still a valid platform on the internet until it loses its support status, and as third party browser developers have demonstrated, it's still thoroughly possible to release a current browser for it. Ironically, Microsoft themselves are the ones giving the least support to the venerable OS, and that's where the real headache for web developers comes from. People satisfied with XP are not going to leave it for IE9, and Microsoft's thinly veiled attempt to drive people to its newer OSes is simply driving them to other browsers -- and slowing progress on the internet at the same time.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
hmmm, well... all I know is that the javascript I need to work on still requires a lot of "if (isIE)" checks in order to work on IE9 and even IE10, while it otherwise "just works" on every other browser...

IE10 does have a terrific default engine - it exchanges blows with Firefox and Chrome on most benchmarks. Moreover, for the first time ever, it is consistent on all platforms it is implemented on: x86-32, x86-64, and ARM.

However...

It still carries around IE5, IE7, IE8 and IE9's engines. Which can be triggered at the drop of a hat - go on and explain to a customer "you have the very latest IE10 installed, congratulations! But our website crawled to a stop on your machine because, well, tough luck, it fell back to IE7 compat mode". I had to deliver that line no later than yesterday. I let you imagine the face the customer pulled. And no, I can't send the compatibility header because, among all the layers of proxies and caches we use, it gets lost.
Moreover, there are still quite a few people who have Windows XP - and who are, thus, limited to IE8. Go on and explain to them that they have to change their PC (on which they may store their accounting and several other productivity tools, successfully and without any problem) because their OS doesn't support the latest version of their browser...
So, instead of trying to educate our customers about a matter that they don't care about at ALL, we took all of the above, rolled it up in a ball and threw it away.
We're not even going to validate our website against IE10 - we validate against Firefox and Chrome, we ensure that it runs more or less usably on a IE7 Compat, no frills installed IE, and that it issues no W3C warnings. If IE10 can load it, great! If it runs well, even better! If it goes boom, we'll just keep saying "just use Chrome, or Firefox if you already have it".

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]rabidraccoon[/nom]40% of the customers are on IE... so we do have to. We have to support all browsers to reach more people.[/citation]

if your independant than refuse those 40%, if you work for a company, try and get them to refuse those 40% or get them to get their heads out of their butts and move to a more up to date browser.

G

[citation][nom]wannabepro[/nom]IE SUCKS...Less[/citation]

then the next version of IE ;)

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Part of what our company does is support applications on browsers.

If something is really weird, and screwed up the first question is "Are you using an Apple?". If not, the second question is "Are you using Internet Explorer"?

castle songbird

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
this whole video is just character assassination. They want people to stop trusting thier "techie" friends when they tell them how inferior IE is.

G

It might be good performance wise, but their layout is nothing but terrible.
Until they introduce pinned tabs and do a standalone tab bar, not one which is merged with address bar, it's a no go for me, as i have 15 tabs open on average.
The empty space with title above is just begging to be used.

rabidraccoon

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

Winning business strategy right there

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]rabidraccoon[/nom]Winning business strategy right there[/citation]

40% means that there is still 60% of people who dont require ie6
and unless you service those 60% exclusively, try telling me that you cant survive as a business on those 60% alone.

G

Any web browser that doesn't block advertisements sucks by default. Until IE starts accepting plugins that will do that, then it sucks.

I see a lot of articles here about web browsers. I don't care about stupid stuff like "this web browser loads the page 2 seconds faster!" or "look at all this pointless fancy nonsense this browser can do!" Web browsers aren't my house or my car. Its just a tool to get a job done. When did it stop being that?

A web browser just needs to do these two basic things:

1. Deliver the content
2. Not annoy me

Status
Not open for further replies.