IE Hater Convinced IE "Sucks Less" in New Microsoft Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
IE9 was a good thing, actually. Didn't break so many pages as I would normally expect ;D

Still sucks though, MS. Abide by world standards and stop pushing your crappy APIs so it actually sucks less as your add shows.

Cheers!

EDIT: Typo

fleeb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]IE was a good thing, actually. Didn't break so many pages as I would normally expect ;DStill sucks though, MS. Abide by world standards and stop pushing your crappy APIs so it actually sucks less as your add shows.Cheers![/citation]

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/11/microsoft-begs-web-devs-not-to-make-webkit-the-new-ie6/

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
that actually a good ad. expected Microsoft to make an ass of themselves, but it was quite clever and true to alot of haters.

adopting an island of kittens and giving them to children = WIN

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
The issue isnt whether the new version IE is better than older versions... of course it is.

The issue is that Microsoft decided to use DirectX for hardware acceleration in IE. Then Microsoft decides its not going to make DX10 available in Windows XP. Since IE9 relies on DX10, Windows XP is stuck with IE8. IE8 doesn't support HTML5 or CSS3 therefore as long as Windows XP is around web developers like myself can't use new HTML5 and CSS3 features because we have to support IE8.

It seems Microsoft is creating this same problem again by forcing users to upgrade to Wnidows 8 if they want the new version of Direct X... and consequently future versions of IE.

Microsoft is actively slowing down the overall progress of web development and the internet.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Performance wise Internet explorer 10 is, as of this moment better than Mozilla and Chrome. The lack of add-ons when compared to Mozilla and Chrome kind of kills it though. I only use it for watching Netflix.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
IE can go toe-to-toe with the best of them.

Not without Adblock (and possibly some other extensions) it can't.

Though it might beat FF occasionally in the Browser Grand Prix here, the browsers aren't moving to pages with ads on them. FF + ABP just gets faster and faster compared to IE as you increase the number of ads on the page; especially on sites with ads before their videos (YouTube is a prime example).

Therefore, there's no reason to pick it because nearly everything else still works better and has more features than IE has. It's less about "hating IE" and more about "pointing out it's still behind the times".

Of course, the definition of "hating" has for some reason been changed so that pointing out the fact that other browsers are better than it is seen as such.

But IE, as much as Microsoft wishes it did, does not exist in a vacuum.

dgingeri

Distinguished
I was once partly convinced IE sucked less once, shortly after the system I was using was forced to upgrade to IE9, but then I tried to use it to open an iDRAC session with a Dell server. Nope, it pretty much sucks as much as it always has.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]koga73[/nom]The issue isnt whether the new version IE is better than older versions... of course it is.The issue is that Microsoft decided to use DirectX for hardware acceleration in IE. Then Microsoft decides its not going to make DX10 available in Windows XP. Since IE9 relies on DX10, Windows XP is stuck with IE8. IE8 doesn't support HTML5 or CSS3 therefore as long as Windows XP is around web developers like myself can't use new HTML5 and CSS3 features because we have to support IE8.It seems Microsoft is creating this same problem again by forcing users to upgrade to Wnidows 8 if they want the new version of Direct X... and consequently future versions of IE.Microsoft is actively slowing down the overall progress of web development and the internet.[/citation]

stop making crap for IE than?
don't give me lines like you have to, cut all ties and stop it.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]koga73[/nom]The issue isnt whether the new version IE is better than older versions... of course it is.The issue is that Microsoft decided to use DirectX for hardware acceleration in IE. Then Microsoft decides its not going to make DX10 available in Windows XP. Since IE9 relies on DX10, Windows XP is stuck with IE8. IE8 doesn't support HTML5 or CSS3 therefore as long as Windows XP is around web developers like myself can't use new HTML5 and CSS3 features because we have to support IE8.It seems Microsoft is creating this same problem again by forcing users to upgrade to Wnidows 8 if they want the new version of Direct X... and consequently future versions of IE.Microsoft is actively slowing down the overall progress of web development and the internet.[/citation]

I understand your frustration, but it should not be on Microsoft if companies refuse to upgrade to a modern OS; from a business standpoint, xp should have been out the door as soon as support ended.

That being said, we are stuck on ie8 due a legacy webapp; all system are running windows 7.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]I was once partly convinced IE sucked less once, shortly after the system I was using was forced to upgrade to IE9, but then I tried to use it to open an iDRAC session with a Dell server. Nope, it pretty much sucks as much as it always has.[/citation]

if you have any need for ilo/drac, you should be able to t/s that issue.

from a forum post:
"I had the same issue. It was because I was using a stored bookmark to the iDRAC like:

https://ipaddress/index.html

When I linked to this address it would redirect to login.html and cache it as index.html. So once I actually logged in, it would redirect me back to the cached version of index.html which was a login page. Once I changed my bookmarks to point to either https://ipaddress/ or https://ipaddress/login.html all was good. Just make sure you wipe your browser cache before trying this again. Also, in IE you can also enable the advanced security setting of "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" which also helps."

rabidraccoon

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]stop making crap for IE than?don't give me lines like you have to, cut all ties and stop it.[/citation]

40% of the customers are on IE... so we do have to. We have to support all browsers to reach more people.

dgingeri

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jackbling[/nom]if you have any need for ilo/drac, you should be able to t/s that issue. from a forum post:"I had the same issue. It was because I was using a stored bookmark to the iDRAC like:https://ipaddress/index.htmlWhen I linked to this address it would redirect to login.html and cache it as index.html. So once I actually logged in, it would redirect me back to the cached version of index.html which was a login page. Once I changed my bookmarks to point to either https://ipaddress/ or https://ipaddress/login.html all was good. Just make sure you wipe your browser cache before trying this again. Also, in IE you can also enable the advanced security setting of "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" which also helps."[/citation]

I have so many servers, and work from so many servers, and rebuild these servers so frequently, that I don't shortcut the iDRAC or IPMI pages. I just go by name. I'm the admin of a server software test lab with 4 different subnets and 7 different DNS domains. (It was 2 and 2 until I got started. I got it properly organized.) We have over 1300 servers and about 6000 devices, with VMs making things even more complicated. Remembering names is a whole lot easier than remembering IP addresses. I have all systems that have ipmi or iDRAC setup with a "name-ipmi" DNS entry for their ipmi/iDRAC address. For instance, a machine named Luna has an IP address for the system and a second "Luna-ipmi" for the iDRAC interface.

I can guarantee that this was not a case of an incorrect caching problem. I could get logged in just fine. Bringing up the system info was difficult, as the positioning wouldn't come out right, and the console was downright horrible, even using Java instead of ActiveX. Chrome works just fine, so I wind up installing that on infrastructure systems that I use for lab administration. (I have a VM that acts as my own personal file server and remote console for building servers, but I can't use it all the time. When I built it, I started using IE8, and that worked, somewhat, but then IE9 was pushed to it and both Dell iDRAC6 and Supermicro IPMI consoles stopped working. I only use Chrome on that machine now, and I never install the IE9 update on new servers.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS