IE8 Losing Popularity Contest in EU Browser Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

nonxcarbonx

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
It's actually pretty amazing to think people were too lazy or too ignorant to simply download Firefox or Opera before the EU's decision. I recognize it's only a few percent, but still, that translates into a lot of people.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
I'm still waiting for an EU browser ballot mandate on Apple's OS X, and every Linux distribution. Should probably get one on text editors too, that Notepad has had an undeserved monopoly for far too long!

Doesn't matter if you like or hate Windows, Microsoft, or IE, forcing them to advertise their competitors is idiotic.

joex444

Distinguished
Really. "Opera browser 10 is Internet Browser innovation."

That's the tagline that won these idiots over? It's the one with grammatical flaws. Say what you will... the correct use of our language is a sign of intelligence. The improper use is therefore a sign of shoddy programs.

Also, what's with Opera's image compression nonsense? Sure, its faster. But the web never looked worse.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]victomofreality[/nom]SURPRISE... wait thats not it... ummm... EXPECTED! why would any one want Microsoft's buggy browser if it didn't come with the os?[/citation]
Yea, I'm so relieved that I can now change my browser, thank god the EU came through and made that possible for the first time... o wait, never mind...

heffeque

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002
It seems that joex444 doesn't know that the only countries in Europe that speak English as a mother language are the UK and Ireland.

Eh, it's all a matter of preference when it comes down to it. I prefer Opera myself, but generally out of habit, i.e. I'm used to it. Others prefer Chrome, Firefox, etc... Just a matter of choice really.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]Abrahm[/nom]I'm still waiting for an EU browser ballot mandate on Apple's OS X, and every Linux distribution. Should probably get one on text editors too, that Notepad has had an undeserved monopoly for far too long!Doesn't matter if you like or hate Windows, Microsoft, or IE, forcing them to advertise their competitors is idiotic.[/citation]That's the price they pay for a de facto monopoly OS market share of 90%+. If Apple OS X achieves that market share then it will be their turn for a browser ballot. If the EU didn't act to limit the power of monopolies that threaten free-market efficiency then they would be accused of being corrupt or bribed.

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Just doesn't make sense to me...

..my grandparents downloaded firefox themselves, after looking at reviews, and they are no-where near tech-savvy.

Not that hard to download an .exe on windows and let it automatically install for you.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Abrahm[/nom]I'm still waiting for an EU browser ballot mandate on Apple's OS X, and every Linux distribution. Should probably get one on text editors too, that Notepad has had an undeserved monopoly for far too long![/citation]
Yeah, everyone knows that text editors affect the global economy like the web does! Also Apple and Linux both have 90+% of the PC OS market and use that to inflate the adoption of their integrated browsers! Everybody codes pages that only work in Safari or Epiphany or Firefox, and IE never gets any love from web designers!

Or maybe you don't know quite what you're talking about. This isn't about random product coming bundled with random other product in a healthy, competitive market. Bundling isn't the issue. Abuse of monopoly in one market to establish dominance in another market is the issue.

At least I got here before the car analogies started.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]Abrahm[/nom]I'm still waiting for an EU browser ballot mandate on Apple's OS X, and every Linux distribution. Should probably get one on text editors too, that Notepad has had an undeserved monopoly for far too long!Doesn't matter if you like or hate Windows, Microsoft, or IE, forcing them to advertise their competitors is idiotic.[/citation]
I don't know about Apple's OS-X, but last time I check most of Linux distributions came with package managers and repository with at least 3 other web browsers. Heck most of KDE based distributions came with 2 web browsers pre-installed. So next time before you comment please check your facts first.
Oh. One more thing, the ballot screen is MS solution, EU wanted to un-bundle the IE. MS decided this is better solution for them.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I'm a web developer of 15 years and highly prefer IE over other browsers. Seems the fastest, is proven the most secure and loads the fastest thanks to being woven into the OS. The UI is the best as well, perfectly matching Windows, updates with Windows Update, very easy for most people.

Each to his own, nothing wrong with other browsers. Just saying M$ kiddie basher dorks get tired after a while, find something else to bitch about. You don't even know what you talk about...yea, end rant

blue shift

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Bundling a crappy free product with an expensive, high-quality good is anticompetitive? This. Changes. Everything.

In all reality, this is only a problem BECAUSE Windows is, well, ubiquitous. Since all of these browsers are free, why does it really matter that much? If people care about having a high-quality browser, they'll download one.

As an Opera user who remembers being excited about Opera 8, I approve of this messave

This may sound crazy but is it possible the EU simply got a little carried away with freedom of choice? Could it be they just wanted to make sure everyone knew they really and truly had the freedom to choose a web browser?

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I first used Opera when I was fixing someone's computer with Windows ME on it several months ago. They could either struggle with IE 6, or get something modern. Firefox? Nope. Chrome? That doesn't even support Windows 2000, and neither does IE after 6. Safari? Same thing. Opera actually supports Windows ME with their latest browser. So, I put it on. After using it a bit, it kind of grew on me, and I won't use anything else now. It's not a lot better than Firefox, except for the memory leak, but I never went back to Firefox since I started using it. It's fast, easy to use, and doesn't have the memory leak that plagues Firefox. I like it.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
What a "shocker", that when people have a possibility to choose, they'll even use it (not that the EU is famous for offering too much choice, on the contrary).

Now the collective lament of the wintarded micro$uxx fankiddie herd will start, at the tune of it's monopolistic convicted master's tune...

There's almost futility into bringing any sense into the herd's narrow minded prefabricated consensus, but:
- it was m$'s unforced choice to bring up the ballot screen (thanks SAL-e), the EU's competition commission asked only for the unbundling of exploder
- m$ is the de facto, and only, monopolist in the OS market (thanks jhansonxi - there could be objections, that the games/drm loader isn't actually an OS), so anti-monopolistic measures don't apply to the rotten fruit, or other (not flying) birds
- the argument of not being capable of downloading anything, without a browser, is one of the lamest ones to date
[citation][nom]pojih[/nom]my grandparents downloaded firefox themselves, after looking at reviews, and they are no-where near tech-savvy.[/citation]
The quest for knowledge is an appanage of intelligence, tech-savviness is merely a measure of training.

Ephebus

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
I've been using Opera since version 3.5 I guess (sometime around 1997), and it's the center of everything I do on the Internet - it's just that good. Just avoid version 10.5x and stick to version 10.10 or earlier. Opera devs seem too obsessed with gaining market share at any cost, even if that means degrading what always worked well in Opera, and have managed to make version 10.5x look and work like some type of Chrome meets Safari clone. The Opera forums are filled with long time Opera users, who like me have been promoting the browser for over a decade, complaining about what they're turning Opera into. Problem is, those forums are also administered by people who most probably weren't even there when Opera started and most posts containing negative criticism simply get deleted, or at least the topics are locked. There's also a group of users who seem to be there 24 hours a day ready to flame any critics of version 10.5x (watch out for a guy nicknamed Pesala). Some examples:

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=478101

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=471831

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=448311

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=433401

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=437721

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=471691

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=472271

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=486881

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]I'm a web developer of 15 years and highly prefer IE over other browsers. Seems the fastest, is proven the most secure and loads the fastest thanks to being woven into the OS. The UI is the best as well, perfectly matching Windows, updates with Windows Update, very easy for most people.Each to his own, nothing wrong with other browsers. Just saying M$ kiddie basher dorks get tired after a while, find something else to bitch about. You don't even know what you talk about...yea, end rant[/citation]

You forgot to add that you work for Microsoft. But we can work that bit out for ourselves.

DFGum

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
p05esto :

I'm a web developer of 15 years and highly prefer IE over other browsers. Seems the fastest, is proven the most secure and loads the fastest thanks to being woven into the OS. The UI is the best as well, perfectly matching Windows, updates with Windows Update, very easy for most people.Each to his own, nothing wrong with other browsers. Just saying M$ kiddie basher dorks get tired after a while, find something else to bitch about. You don't even know what you talk about...yea, end rant

You forgot to add that you work for Microsoft. But we can work that bit out for ourselves.

Shrug, all my friends rant about firefox and how they have noscript and all this, but i use my IE just fine and have no keylogging/security problems. Of course i dont even run a antivirus, because i don't go randomly looking at sites i know could be comprimised, and i keep my stuff up to date? Zero problems.

I do have firefox and chrome installed tho and do use them occasionally.

An inquiry in New York, a few months ago. Random people in the street.

Question: "what's a browser?"

Answer: 8 in 100 knew it was the software you used to go on the Internet.

If Microsoft delivered the ballot screen in the US, or anywhere else in the world, how fast would IE's market share dwindle? If you consider that BEFORE the ballot screen, IE had already less than 70% of the market (as opposed to around 80%), how fast would the low-hanging fruit (people frustrated by IE, but not knowing it can be replaced, because 'every software is MS, but these Macs things') be picked by these other browsers?

Status
Not open for further replies.