[SOLVED] If i am going to measure internet speed manually ?

saynow111

Reputable
Jan 16, 2018
If I am going to measure internet speed manually
Should I measure how much kbytes data transfer during .....5 min 1 min or 10 min or what ?
I am fed up with online websites and their results ...?

Thank you

Solution
I prefer to measure it by myself
To download something and measure how many kilobyte I download per second then multiply it by 8 to get kbps ....
Should I measure that for 5 minute or 10 minutes or only one minute
I get different results for 1 min , 5 min , 10 min which one is the real spead ?
@SamirD
Thank you
There is no way to get even close to an accurate result doing this. If your objective to measure total bandwidth it follows the following formula: megabytes transferred / time in seconds * 8 = megabits / second.

Based on this formula, it does not matter what amount of time you measure so long as it is more than 1 second. A typical test would be to download a filesize of a known size multiple times measuring the...

saynow111

Reputable
Jan 16, 2018
If you're fed up, use the following test sites: dslreports.com/speedtest and fast.com. Those are the only two I use and the dslreports one is the most accurate, although it isn't as good as before the pandemic.
To download something and measure how many kilobyte I download per second then multiply it by 8 to get kbps ....
I get different results for 1 min , 5 min , 10 min which one is the real spead ?
@SamirD
Thank you

USAFRet

Titan
@SamirD
Thank you
Unless you control the whole data chain from source to target (you don't), "measure it by myself" is somewhat meaningless.

What is the source server giving you? All the routers/switches/cables in between. Your ISP, etc, etc...
What are you "downloading"?

And there is no "real speed". Rather, it is what it is at this particular moment. 10 minutes from now it could change, because your neighbors cranked up a large download and congested the neighborhood line.

Reactions: saynow111
@SamirD
Thank you
There is no way to get even close to an accurate result doing this. If your objective to measure total bandwidth it follows the following formula: megabytes transferred / time in seconds * 8 = megabits / second.

Based on this formula, it does not matter what amount of time you measure so long as it is more than 1 second. A typical test would be to download a filesize of a known size multiple times measuring the speed each time. The problem is that this file will only transfer as fast as that server and route to your will go. You will have to try files from all over the internet to determine your true speed.

Solution