[SOLVED] If I get a new motherboard with the same socket type as the previous one, will I have to re-install windows?

Solution
It will depend on if your windows license is configured to your specific mobo or not.

Typically you wouldnt have to reinstall windows as changing a mobo dont change anything on your storage drive, however you may have to re-activate your windows using your windows account because some windows licenses are attached to the hardware inside of the PC. But you can only do this if your current license is connected to your Microsoft account. You will use that license for your new activation. So I would make sure your license is connected to your MS account or you may have to buy a new key. They do this so you cant just buy 1 copy for multiple pcs.

But as far having to re-install, I highly doubt it.

Devin latulippe

Prominent
Dec 4, 2019
No, you don't have to reinstall windows, windows is stored on the hard drive and not the motherboard, you'll be just fine. Although you might have to buy a windows key to reactive windows (you can use windows with it un-activated, you'll just have an annoying watermark at the bottom left of the screen)

It will depend on if your windows license is configured to your specific mobo or not.

Typically you wouldnt have to reinstall windows as changing a mobo dont change anything on your storage drive, however you may have to re-activate your windows using your windows account because some windows licenses are attached to the hardware inside of the PC. But you can only do this if your current license is connected to your Microsoft account. You will use that license for your new activation. So I would make sure your license is connected to your MS account or you may have to buy a new key. They do this so you cant just buy 1 copy for multiple pcs.

But as far having to re-install, I highly doubt it.

Solution