if i have a ddr3 motherboard can i install any ddr3 ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

metahard

Honorable
Feb 17, 2015
if i have a ddr 3 motherboard and it supports 1333,1600 mhz ,can i install any 8 gb ddr3 single stick ram on one slot .

the motherboard has maximum 16 gb ram capacity .

i m confused about 240 pin ,sdram

[update]

MSI H81M-E35 V2 , im looking for this mobo

Solution

markmyong2

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015
What is the brand and model of your motherboard? You can check the compatibility of ram to MOBO on the website of the MOBO manufacturer. Synchronous dynamic random access memory (SDRAM) is dynamic random access memory (DRAM) that is synchronized with the system bus. Classic DRAM has an asynchronous interface, which means that it responds as quickly as possible to changes in control inputs. Never mind the pins, as long as you have seen the compatibility on the website. BTW, pins are the gold attached in rams.

Yes you can.. but you can make absolutely sure the RAM is compatible visiting the motherboard manufacturer's product page > Support > Memory Compatibility, which lists RAM brands with speeds and voltages the motherboard supports. You can install any 1333 or 1600 MHz stic of RAM as long as it runs at the voltage that the motherboard supports... for example, most motherboards support 1.5 volt RAM modules, some support 1.65 Volt RAM, and some support 1.35 volt RAM... but if the motherboard BIOS has the options to adjust the voltage to the RAM voltage, it should work without issues but it's better to use RAM with the voltage the motherboard suports by default and avoid the hassle. Another possible issue is some motherboards (very few) don't run well with single channel RAM (single RAM module), and some don't even run... so it's better to use two modules which even work better since dual channel memory works better than single channel.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

No, it will depend on the mobo, contrary to the mythical belief that DDR3 is DDR3, most newer models of DDR3 use high density memory chips (4Gb where older is more often 2Gb chips on the sticks), also there is the Fury line from Kingston that runs on PnP instead of XMP and isn't compatible with older mobo chipsets. If you have a fairly recent mobos, i.e. 1155 or newer you should be OK with most any DDR3.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.