If I were to buy this Monitor, will my GPU achieve 75 hz rate?

Spietres

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016
Hello everyone.

So recently I have been looking out for some 75 hz monitors and I have found one that really got my interest. It is Iiyama Black Hawk GE2488HS-B2, an 75 hz monitor with 1 ms response time.

What catched my eye in negative way is some of the people reviews saying that mentioned monitor displays 75 hz only if you are using Freesync technology (so AMD card) or displays 60 hz on Full HD resolution. I can't tell if those people are saying the truth and the product is false advertised or if they are doing something wrong, which might not happen in my situation when I buy this monitor.

This really got my worried as I intended to use this monitor with Nvidia GPU (GTX 960 Winforce 4 GB) so I won't be able to use Freesync - which is fne as long as I can get 75hz - and obviously I want to use it on 1080p resolution.

I mean that's really my question. Can a refresh rate of the monitor could be locked behind a Freesync technology? Does resolution has anything to do with a monitor displaying lower refresh rate than mentioned in description?

So summarying: I want to use 75 hz rate of this monitor with my Nvidia GPU without using Freesync technology at the resolution of 1920x1080p. Is that possible in this scenario?

Thanks for the answers in advance! If everything will be just like I want it to be I'm surely going to buy this monitor before the Christmas.

Cheers.

Solution
You will be able to hit 75hz regardless of the FreeSync. The Freesync is only useful for preventing screen tearing when you go above 75fps, but because you're using an Nvidia GPU doesn't mean you can't use the full refresh rate of the monitor.

The GTX 960 SHOULD be able to hit 75fps at 1080p on most games, but you might have to compromise on some graphical settings for more intense games.
You will be able to hit 75hz regardless of the FreeSync. The Freesync is only useful for preventing screen tearing when you go above 75fps, but because you're using an Nvidia GPU doesn't mean you can't use the full refresh rate of the monitor.

The GTX 960 SHOULD be able to hit 75fps at 1080p on most games, but you might have to compromise on some graphical settings for more intense games.

Solution

Spietres

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

Well the refresh rate is really my only concern right now. If you say I should be able to use 75 hz in my case whenever I use Fressync or not, then that's really the only answer I'm looking for. Appreciate it.

About fps, I am able to get 100+ in most games, in CSGO I can go as long as 220, but that's what I achieved at 1050p resolution not 1080p. Hopefully Full HD won't hurt my frames a lot, so I can get improvement from having 75 hz monitor.

Worst case scenario I can still go back to 16:10 and use 1680x1050 resolution.

Thanks for your answer, I'm hoping some other people will answer as well, so I could be double sure.

Cheers.