[SOLVED] If SSD is password locked will it still show up in file explorer?

May 23, 2021
I have recently run into an issue where my teamgroup l5 lite ssd has all of the sudden asked me for a password on boot that i did not set. It is not my boot drive so im able to access the pc, but i have to give incorrect passwords until it locks the drive. And the result is that it does not show up in file explorer or in the disk manager. I was wondering if locked ssds are still supposed to show up in file explorer/disk mgr, but are just inaccessible? Because if theyre supposed to show up still, then I would imagine that the ssd is just dead/defective and needs to be replaced rather than factory wiped. Just trying to save myself the headache. Any help is appreciated!

Specs:
CPU: Intel i5 10600K
GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700XT
Mobo: Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600mhz CL16
PSU: Rosewill RBR1000 1000W
Storage: Intel 660p 500GB SSD
Teamgroup L5 3D Lite 480GB SSD (The drive with the issue)

Solution
No it will not show and be inaccessible. The point of the password is to make the drive inaccessible to those whom don't know it.

If it automagically set a password then it's likely dead and you'll need to contact teamgroup for an RMA if it's under warranty. Hopefully you had a backup or the data wasn't important.

bignastyid

Titan
No it will not show and be inaccessible. The point of the password is to make the drive inaccessible to those whom don't know it.

If it automagically set a password then it's likely dead and you'll need to contact teamgroup for an RMA if it's under warranty. Hopefully you had a backup or the data wasn't important.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution