Question If you have have a mesh filter should you use static pressure fans?

Ralston18

Titan
Is there some specific problem?

E.g. airflows, temperatures., etc.?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

More explanation and information needed.

You can also post photographs here via imgur (www.imgur.com) if you believe that posting photographs helps to show and/or explain any problems.

The front should be fine with airflow focused fans as the mesh seems decently spaced unless there's a fine mesh behind the mesh. If the rest of the mesh is similar or at least not double stacked you should be fine using pretty much whatever.

Personally I used Arctic P12 fans for intake and then replaced them with P12 Max as I wanted the better sound profile at higher RPM for more airflow (these fans are slightly skewed towards static pressure).

drthrd

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
Is there some specific problem?

E.g. airflows, temperatures., etc.?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

More explanation and information needed.

You can also post photographs here via imgur (www.imgur.com) if you believe that posting photographs helps to show and/or explain any problems.
I am going to replace my CPU cooler with Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO and wanted to add some exhaust fans at the top. The top of the case has a mesh grill and under the grill is a filter. I was looking up fans and seen where some say if you have filters you should use static pressure fans. I was wondering if I should replace my front intake fan with a static pressure fan also. The front cover also has a mesh grill with filter.

System spcs

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($328.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720 85.85 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($218.72 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($106.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 4 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($120.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card ($649.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($129.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 TT Premium 1350 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($226.63 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($24.12 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro Retail - USB 64-bit ($198.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2304.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-07-05 09:18 EDT-0400

As far as pictures goes there is some videos of the mesh grill and filters.
View: https://youtu.be/Ed7OAnKX7P8?si=tKOlJ-PunKVg3JeJ&t=780

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Unless there are specific problems I would leave things alone.

Or limit the change to just the cooler if there is indeed a reason to change the cooler.

There should be some quantifiable benefits resulting from the changes being considered.

AKA "If it ain't broke then don't fix it".

That is just me.....

Whatever is decided or done just be sure that you can roll back to some previous configuration if and as necessary.

And, as always, have all important data backed up.

Reactions: Paperdoc
There aren't static pressure 200mm fans that I'm aware of so getting 120mm or 140mm whichever fits the open area better would likely be the way to go.

That cooler will have to be installed on the top in that case so I'm not sure you're going to be adding more fans there.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I will say that I remove these in most cases. The only time I leave one is if there is no fan there and I don't need the flow. The only one I do leave in place is the downward facing one associated with the power supply in some cases, as I pull and clean it more regularly than the case itself.

I have come to find that the common placement and the restriction on flow isn't worth just leaving them out when compared to cleaning frequency. I also keep all but one PC in the house well up off the floor now too.

drthrd

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
There aren't static pressure 200mm fans that I'm aware of so getting 120mm or 140mm whichever fits the open area better would likely be the way to go.

That cooler will have to be installed on the top in that case so I'm not sure you're going to be adding more fans there.
I am replacing my cooler with Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO and figured it would help to install exhaust fans at the top. Was not sure if static pressure fans would help since the grill is mesh and there is a filter.

I am replacing my cooler with Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO and figured it would help to install exhaust fans at the top. Was not sure if static pressure fans would help since the grill is mesh and there is a filter.
Oh I see! For a tower air cooler you'd only want one fan at the very back of the top for exhaust otherwise you pull air away from the cooler/generate turbulence.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
In general the dust filters (often polyurethane foam sheets) are NOT significant air flow blockers, so you do NOT need Static Pressure fans to blow through them. Of course, they DO need to be cleaned from time to time, or they become an air blocker.

Regarding the top fan positions, most commonly they are used for exhaust, whether as just fans or as the rad in an AIO cooling system. In those cases you do NOT need to have the foam sheet in place because the air flow is from inside the case to out.

Reactions: CompuTronix