Question If you have v-sync on, does enabling a FPS limiter in-game do anything to help reduce GPU usage/further reduce screen tearing?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Will enabling a FPS limiter do basically nothing, or does it help in some way if v-sync is already being used?

Also what if fast sync is enabled in nvidia control panel? Will ALL games automatically have fast sync enabled, or does it only work for supported games? If you enable v-sync in-game will that sync be fast-sync, and if not is it possible for both fast and v sync to be enabled at the same time?

D

Deleted member 362816

If you are using fast sync and your frame rates fall into the range of your monitor/card I don't see how V-sync would do anything tbh.

D

Deleted member 362816

To my knowledge once enabled in the Nvidia Control Panel it works with anything.

I could be wrong. If I am someone please correct me.

D

Deleted member 362816

I see, and I'm wondering if it automatically applies and how it's enabled in-game.

Once it's enabled at desktop level it would just translate to any app that is used. You wouldn't (enable it in game)

I could be wrong, but that was how it was explained to me long ago.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Presumably the driver will override the game settings.

However, Nvidia does allow dual settings. Such as G-sync or G-Sync compatible being on in the control panel. If V-sync is on, the GPU will not render frames above the refresh rate of the monitor, with V-Sync off, it will use G-sync until it exceeds the monitors refresh rate and then turn off synching.

Fast-Sync sounds like it it is effectively letting the GPU render frames as fast as possible, but only letting completed frames through to the monitor at the beginning of its cycle. So effectively reducing tearing while keeping the most up to date possible frame on the monitor (under those circumstances)

I can see no benefit to having V-sync on at the same time, so it would very likely be overridden.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Presumably the driver will override the game settings.

However, Nvidia does allow dual settings. Such as G-sync or G-Sync compatible being on in the control panel. If V-sync is on, the GPU will not render frames above the refresh rate of the monitor, with V-Sync off, it will use G-sync until it exceeds the monitors refresh rate and then turn off synching.

Fast-Sync sounds like it it is effectively letting the GPU render frames as fast as possible, but only letting completed frames through to the monitor at the beginning of its cycle. So effectively reducing tearing while keeping the most up to date possible frame on the monitor (under those circumstances)

I can see no benefit to having V-sync on at the same time, so it would very likely be overridden.
Thank you! So can you assume there is no switch in-game for fast sync and so it automatically applies and any v-sync setting is just overridden correct?