Question igpu and Dgpu at same time

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
hi. i have two motherboard. b250 and b660 and two 3060ti.
today i opened furmark on my b250 one and noticed it shows two gpu . a 3060ti and a intel HD 510.
BUT on my b660, there is only one GPU and its a 3060ti.
how so?
how can i enable my iGPU on my 12th gen motherboard?
by the way, both CPUs are None F varient

On your B250 chipset motherboard, check the BIOS settings. Provide FULL PC specs, including the make/model of BOTH of your CPUs. Check the device Manager settings on the B250 system.

You told you don't have an F variant SKU ? Means you have an non-F SKU, right ? Because, The F series are the multiplier-locked version of the KF Intel CPU. This chip comes without any integrated graphics. They lack iGPU, but which one is your processor model ?

It supports iGPU ?

Reactions: .valkyrie.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
On your B250 chipset motherboard, check the BIOS settings. Provide FULL PC specs, including the make/model of BOTH of your CPUs. Check the device Manager settings on the B250 system.

You told you don't have an F variant SKU ? Means you have an non-F SKU, right ? Because, The F series are the multiplier-locked version of the KF Intel CPU. This chip comes without any integrated graphics. They lack iGPU.
there is a G4400 with HD510
and other one is 12100 none F varient. i have used intel hD on that cpu. but it only show up when i take out my 3060 (not even if i take out 8pin)

Okay, so you have this particular CPU ? Check the BIOS settings if you also want to enable iGPU. But using a discrete GPU should automatically disable the onboard graphics.

Are you using a multi-monitor setup, so that's why you need BOTH of these graphics to be enabled ? Your current new Intel processor supports the UHD Graphics 730. Go to the BIOS and check the settings there.

Reactions: .valkyrie.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Okay, so you have this particular CPU ? Check the BIOS settings if you also want to enable iGPU. But using a discrete GPU should automatically disable the onboard graphics.

Are you using a multi-monitor setup, so that's why you need BOTH of these graphics to be enabled ? Your current new Intel processor supports the UHD Graphics 730. Go to the BIOS and check the settings there.

no , this is just out of curiosity. also i'm not sure but maby if i'm not gaming, why not to use igpu that save energy?
haven't seen anything thing related on bios but maby i'm missing. exact model of my motherboard is Asus prime b660 ma

no , this is just out of curiosity. also i'm not sure but maby if i'm not gaming, why not to use igpu that save energy?
haven't seen anything thing related on bios but maby i'm missing. exact model of my motherboard is Asus prime b660 ma
Having iGPU enabled, reserves portion of system ram for GPU purposes.
This reserved ram is not available for user processes and becomes hardware reserved.

Normally with discrete GPU installed, integrated GPU gets disabled automatically.
But iGPU can be enabled with settings in BIOS.
On different boards this setting is called differently. Multi monitor - for example.

If you have no specific reason, to use iGPU, then I'd suggest disabling it.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Having iGPU enabled, reserves portion of system ram for GPU purposes.
This reserved ram is not available for user processes and becomes hardware reserved.

Normally with discrete GPU installed, integrated GPU gets disabled automatically.
But iGPU can be enabled with settings in BIOS.
On different boards this setting is called differently. Multi monitor - for example.

If you have no specific reason, to use iGPU, then I'd suggest disabling it.
if there is no way to disable 3060 during the week days, is it possible to chage the Cable? like i take out hdmi cable from gpu end and insert it to motherboard directly?

Reactions: artk2219
if there is no way to disable 3060 during the week days, is it possible to chage the Cable? like i take out hdmi cable from gpu end and insert it to motherboard directly?
You can disable iGPU.
To disable discrete GPU, it has to be removed from system.
Even just being connected, discrete GPU will use some power.

Just disable iGPU.
Doing low power tasks (like office) discrete GPU consumes very little power.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, there's no purpose to doing it this way. Removing the GPU for eight hours a day, five days a week would save less than two KWh of energy.

You'll wear out the PCIE slot and have to buy a new motherboard long before you save enough money in energy usage to buy yourself a nice sandwich.

Reactions: artk2219
Windows is quite capable of running two different graphics adapters and their drivers.
Normally, the integrated gpu adapter is capable of ordinary desktop work, including youtube videos or HD movie playback.
If that is the case, then remove the 3060 cards.
OTOH. If you do a bit of fast action gaming, the 3060 will be much more capable and the integrated adapter can be disabled.
That will save you a bit of ram if ram is in short supply.
One little known capability of the integrated adapter is quick sync.
If this is of use to you, keep the integrated adapter active.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
You can disable iGPU.
To disable discrete GPU, it has to be removed from system.
Even just being connected, discrete GPU will use some power.

Just disable iGPU.
Doing low power tasks (like office) discrete GPU consumes very little power.
thanks, i always thought its like laptop that wont use Dgpu at all unless you require it. i mean its even possible to right click on a app and chose a gpu .
but it seems pc is different so i guess its the way it is

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Unless you need quick sync you are better off with the dGPU. The iGPU will reserve memory and eat memory bandwidth.
no i don't need it.... i thought its like laptop and it seems its not.

and tonight i checked gpuZ and it seems it only draw 8w so ....

but i still wonder how that other b250 use both at same time like a laptop