I'm an idiot... but does Raid work in 98?

G

I am sorta new to the whole RAID thing :eek:).. but I was going to set it up on my computer anyway... does Windows 98 support it? I was assuming it did, but then someone told me it didnt earlier tonight, and that got me thinking.. I'm still researching trying to figure it out.. let me know.. if you have time..

thanks

-AMD's are not for the faint of heart... Intels? those are for newbies :eek:)-

G

it doesn't support it natively like Win2k/NT/Linux does. But the addition of an ATA raid controller will allow it to.

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***

G

so it will work fine with my KT7A-Raid board? That's what I thought, but for some reason the guy I talked to didnt.. maybe it was the natively thing that was confusing him, thanks

-AMD's are not for the faint of heart... Intels? those are for newbies :eek:)-

G

I just thought I'd clear something up. I'm new to RAID, but there are 2 types of RAID Hardware and Software correct? Hardware is built into the IDE Controller, and Software is the RAID in Windows 2000/NT Right? Thanks

Jacob

G

Close enough, in reality there are allot of different RAID devices and hardware but for the general idea your there.

Mike

G

I guess there's some debate about this, but to me, it's pretty logical and simple. If the system processor has to handle the io traffic for the RAID Array.. it's software, which is the case for 2k/NT and Fasttrack/similar controllers. If it is handled by a dedicated processor (not necessarily always better performance) on the RAID controller (no the FAsttrak does not have this), it is hardware. simple..

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***