Question I'm confused as to what cables I need for backplane to motherboard ?

esnrhtx

Honorable
May 24, 2019
I saw another post on here about this but I really couldn't make sense of it. I bought a
Silverstone RM43-320-RS for a file storage server (like pics, music, other files and Plex. It's not loaded down by several users at one time, normally just me and maybe my wife for the most part. I am using a Gigabyte Z690 board from an old PC with 3 M.2s, 128 GB of RAM, 10GBe LAN (1 GB on other things) and 1 GB up and down internet.

The backplanes use the Mini-SAS HD SFF-8643 interface. I have a 16 port SATA PCI card plus 4 SATA ports on the board. Everyone says to use reversed cables to make this work properly. As I read the sites for the cables, they will say reversed and further in the description they say forward. Then I read about HBA cards. I'm assuming that the HBA card is connected using just a 8643 to 8643 cable from the backplane to the card.

They claim a reversed cable is from 8643 (host) to 4 SATA cables (target). I was hoping that it was just connecting the 8643 to the SATA card and motherboard. I'm a noob to this but I'm tired of pulling a case apart to connect new drives or swap failing ones. Can anyone guide me as to what actually has to be done to be able to accomplish this? I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff that doesn't work.

I still have time to cancel the server case if this really isn't the way to go. Will I need an HBA card and use breakout cables? They say these connectors are kind of old compared to the 8087 ones, not sure if that's true, but I can't seem to find a 20 or 24 HDD case that supports E-ATX boards. What all do I need to make this happen? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your input.

Ralston18

Titan
Not really in my comfort zone here (full disclosure). However, just trying to delve in a bit more.

This chassis?

https://www.silverstonetek.com/en/product/info/server-nas/RM43-320-RS/

and

https://www.silverstonetek.com/en/product/info/accessories/CPS04-750/

The links provide a great deal of information and some very clear photographs.

In any case, the links may be able to directly help with providing some common reference points and/or direction towards identifying the needed cables and other components.

esnrhtx

Honorable
May 24, 2019
I saw another post on here about this but I really couldn't make sense of it. I bought a
Silverstone RM43-320-RS for a file storage server (like pics, music, other files and Plex. It's not loaded down by several users at one time, normally just me and maybe my wife for the most part. I am using a Gigabyte Z690 board from an old PC with 3 M.2s, 128 GB of RAM, 10GBe LAN (1 GB on other things) and 1 GB up and down internet.

The backplanes use the Mini-SAS HD SFF-8643 interface. I have a 16 port SATA PCI card plus 4 SATA ports on the board. Everyone says to use reversed cables to make this work properly. As I read the sites for the cables, they will say reversed and further in the description they say forward. Then I read about HBA cards. I'm assuming that the HBA card is connected using just a 8643 to 8643 cable from the backplane to the card.

They claim a reversed cable is from 8643 (host) to 4 SATA cables (target). I was hoping that it was just connecting the 8643 to the SATA card and motherboard. I'm a noob to this but I'm tired of pulling a case apart to connect new drives or swap failing ones. Can anyone guide me as to what actually has to be done to be able to accomplish this? I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff that doesn't work.

I still have time to cancel the server case if this really isn't the way to go. Will I need an HBA card and use breakout cables? They say these connectors are kind of old compared to the 8087 ones, not sure if that's true, but I can't seem to find a 20 or 24 HDD case that supports E-ATX boards. What all do I need to make this happen? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your input.
Not really in my comfort zone here (full disclosure). However, just trying to delve in a bit more.

This chassis?

https://www.silverstonetek.com/en/product/info/server-nas/RM43-320-RS/

and

https://www.silverstonetek.com/en/product/info/accessories/CPS04-750/

The links provide a great deal of information and some very clear photographs.

In any case, the links may be able to directly help with providing some common reference points and/or direction towards identifying the needed cables and other components.
One like this:

https://www.delock.com/produkt/83320/merkmale.html

or

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168121...&ranSiteID=TnL5HPStwNw-PHnvWrlj_2Z_6ciQsrB4ug

Do I have to use an HBA and an expansion card? The way it sounds, I could use just a reverse 8643 cable but when you look at the description, the text makes it seem like a forward cable. I am trying to do this with just cables and no HBA card. The server case you posted is correct. Thank you.

Ralston18

Titan
FYI:

https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...forward-reverse-straight-crossover-etc.28384/

From Post #2

"Forward = HBA has SFF connectors
Reverse = drive backplane has SFF connectors"

Backplane -from the server link:

https://www.silverstonetek.com/uplo...3-320-RS-4bay_SAS_backplane_User_Guide-v2.pdf

= = = =

The following links seems to be on the right track in regards to the posted requirements and questions:

https://www.servethehome.com/external-sassata-disk-chassis-wiring-part-1/

See "Additional Notes" at the end.

Then:

https://www.servethehome.com/external-sas-sata-disk-chassis-wiring-part-2/

The links provide some excellent diagrams/images that can be referenced.

Make a couple of simple sketches of your own to show components and connections.

= = = =

Just to be sure about the environment:

1) Not RAID - correct?

2) How many drives to be hosted?

My expectation is that to connect directly from backplane to the drives will require reverse 8346 cables.

One backplane connector to 4 drives.

Possibly the breakout cable from the first link above.

https://www.delock.com/produkt/83320/merkmale.html

However, the premise is that an HBA is not needed.

esnrhtx

Honorable
May 24, 2019
[Moderator edit to break up a single paragraph of text.]

OK, so if I can get the reversed breakout cables, which I will need 5 for all 20 HDDs, I shouldn't need the HBA.

Is the HBA used for raid just for my understanding? I am not going to do raid. Right now I have 14 drives that I will be using and I will be using a 16 port SATA PCIE card and I have 4 ports on the motherboard that can be used also.

Should I just get a 20 port SATA card or do you think it would be OK the way I'm doing it, with 16 and 4? The only thing that worries me is when I find a revere cable, as you read further down, it says it's a forward cable.

That's the most confusing part. I would think it would say reversed and in the description it would say the same. I don't want to buy a $3-$6K assembled server just for my stuff and that is why I'm looking at doing it like this.

I am currently using an 8 bay Rosewill LSV-L4000 right now and it's done a great job for several years and I have another for Nextcloud.

I wish I could learn to do VMs and run Nextcloud on the same server but I'm not sure on how to set it up.

Yes, some videos or blogs guide you but there is always parts that are missing.

I also have a Sabrent 5 drive USB 3.2 SATA "box" and I don't have room to add drive 14 and that's why I went with the 20 and hot swappable.

I really don't even care about hot swapping, just making it easier to add or change drives. It may be weird but I'm a weird person, LOL. Just trying to make it easier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding:

"That's the most confusing part. I would think it would say reversed and in the description it would say the same."

Confusing descriptions do not surprise me. All too many product descriptions, specs, etc.. are cut, copied, or edited from preceding products or documentation. Little or no proof reading for spelling, grammar, and often less so for technical details.

If in doubt then contact the manufacturer/vendor and ask the necessary questions. Get answers in writing to document what was said.

= = = =

Just buy one forward cable and one reverse cable for testing purposes. Keep everything in case an RMA becomes necessary.

= = = =

20 drives is a lot.

Just for the record, how often do you actually need to or find yourself swapping drives?

Hot swapping is convenient and I understand wanting "easier".

However, the overall setup, use, and on-going server management may end up being less "easier".

There may be other options available with respect to home network storage.

If possible wait. There may be other ideas and suggestions posted. Or someone may correct an error of omission or commission on my part.

esnrhtx

Honorable
May 24, 2019
Ok, So if I use this server and use reverse 8643 connector which is the SATA as host and 8643 as host, it should work? I keep reading about an HBA controller card and expansion card. I'm just going to put everything out there so that I'm clear and not confusing anyone. I'm sorry if it is repeating but I just want to be sure. I called Silverstone and their tech guy wasn't there but he will call me to explain what I need (I'm holding my breath BTW, LOL)
Case
Silverstone RM43-320-RS with SFF-8643 connections on the backplane
I'm using all 3.5" SATA drives except the OS and hoping to use the other 3 for cache.
Board is a Gigabyte Z690 Master
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CDL27C25?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details ( I bought this expansion SATA card and I know the cable won't work for my setup).
128 GB of DDR 5 RAM
I'm using 4 M.2, not using the one that slows the PCI-e 16
Corsair 1500HI PSU
GTX 2080 TI Card (just used for transcoding or encoding)
No Monitor, Just remote in to it but I keep a monitor on hand for it and my Linux Nextcloud server if needed.
10 GBE
ASUS BE-98 Pro router
Cisco CBS350-48FP-4X Switch (10GB is just for local machines)
1 GB up and down internet.
This is a JBOD and no raid will be used.
I'm using Windows 11 as I don't feel I need a server version and if I did I would buy a true server board.

I know there is probably more information than needed. I wish these companies put out directions for noobs like me. I've had a couple fails drive to answer your question but on the Rosewill case I have is a pain to change them. It is full and that's why I added the Sabrent DS-SC5B, which I would like to maybe add to my personal PC later, if needed. Again, I would really like to add the Linux subsystem on Windows to add Nextcloud to it and lose the Linux server also or use some other VM. The have those ansible setups but I'm nervous about someone inputting stuff that I don't want and the same for dockers. I'd have to figure out how to use them anyway. I hear that Nextcloud runs slower when either of these are used and I still can't grasp the concept or setup a VM. Things like the settings and all. I can't keep more than one thing in my head at a time due to brain damage I suffered due to an aneurysm and suffering an anoxic brain injury due to dying twice and being induced into a coma. That is why some of this is hard to grasp and I'm sorry for that but these are the cards I'm dealt. And Ralston18, thank you for your input on this so far, I do appreciate it a lot.

Ralston18

Titan
I am going to defer to those with long term experience with servers, disk farms, etc..

In the meantime, I will suggest that you start with a prototype setup and install only four drives - not the full 20.

Begin with one drive using either the forward or reverse cable to determine which cable works. Test as much as possible.

Keep notes, document, diagrams, double check everything, andmonitor performance,etc.. Screenshots of configuration screens will be very helpful to keep try of what was changed, where, why, original setting/new setting....

Then add the other three drives and experiment with some drive swapping to test out that process.

Easy hot swapping being the foremost requirement.

Basically you are climbing the learning curve and and need to work through it all in as many incremental steps as you wish.

Key being that you do not proceed to the next step until any immediate problems or questions are resolved.

Consider it all as a test environment so ensure that all data and drives are fully backed up away from the test environment. Things will go wrong.....

Do not be in a rush and fully expect that there will be other, new questions and problems. As you learn more it is very likely that those questions and problems will be easier to understand and resolve.

There may be other ideas and suggestions posted. Technical or otherwise.

I have no problems with that.