Question I'm confused want to buy new cpu for only Gaming, Next Month Core i9-10900X?

Oct 6, 2019
hello, I'm confused
beacuse Next Month the 10x net gen intel cpu coming out.
but the new cpus that come out, dont have K option for OC? Or Gaming?
Core i9-10900X its will be the next gen. but its not good for gaming?
9900k or i9-10900x who will be most strong for only gaming? beacuse its not have K options for OverClocking like other cpus have.

Last edited:
No one has seen the 10900 benchmarked in games yet....(all are unlocked and overclockable, so the lack of a K is not significant..)

When it debuts, I'll admittedly be curious to see it's min/average/max FPS in multiplayer BF1 and BF5 framerates with the very best GPU. (I just don't think ten cores over eight is going to provide much yet, and I doubt the 10900 will thermally sustain routinely running all-cores at 4.6 GHz like the 9900K. Happy to be wrong about it, however! Love to see gains!)

Even if it does defeat the 9900K, the minimum extra $100 each for CPU and $150 more for a decent mainboard is a steep price for jumping from 150 fps to 155 fps in the 2 games that might benefit from two more cores...

Last edited:
Reactions: tiggers97
The new ones are fully unlocked but don’t see them providing a boost to gaming over the 9700k or 9900k, especially with the added cost.

What resolution and refresh rate are you running? Higher the resolution, the less the cpu matters. I have an 8700k, friend has an AMD 3700X, and we both have 2070 Supers with 1440p/144hz monitors and he gets about two frames less than me in Valley bench so very, very close.

Reactions: King_V

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
so 9900k its better for gaming and OC?
For the first part, yes.
The second part, depends on the quality of the silicon in the cpu + plus the quality of the motherboard.

Core i9-10900X not good for gaming ?
HELL NO.
What do you need 20 threads for, when people aren't even over-saturating a 9900K in game?
What hurts the HEDT chips for gaming is the mesh bus topology they run on, as opposed to the ring bus of current mainstream cpus.
The I9-10900X will have a mesh bus too and the single core performance will be worse than a 9900K.

Endre

Reputable
If the “leaked specs” of i9-10900KF are real, then this new CPU will definitely be better than the i9-9900K!

Comparisons:
  1. 10-cores/20-threads vs 8-cores/16-threads
  2. L3 cache: 20MB vs 16MB
  3. Native memory: DDR4-3200 vs DDR4-2666
  4. TDP=105W vs TDP=95W
  5. Chipset: Z490 vs Z390

Everything at, pretty much, the same price!

I mean, if I were to build a new PC, I’d wait for the newer lineup!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It can’t be worse than 9th Gen!
Even if it won’t be a lot better, this 10th Gen should be slightly better...
The OP overlooked this, and you did too - Those cpus are Intel's HEDT section, not mainstream. They serve a different purpose.
Skylake-X = 7800X - 7980XE
Skylake-X Refresh = Replace the 7s in the Skylake-X models with 9s.
Cascade Lake-X = Replace the 7s with a 10, I guess...

If the “leaked specs” of i9-10900KF are real, then this new CPU will definitely be better than the i9-9900K!

Comparisons:
  1. 10-cores/20-threads vs 8-cores/16-threads
  2. L3 cache: 20MB vs 16MB
  3. Native memory: DDR4-3200 vs DDR4-2666
  4. TDP=105W vs TDP=95W
  5. Chipset: Z490 vs Z390
Everything at, pretty much, the same price!

I mean, if I were to build a new PC, I’d wait for the newer lineup!
1)The extra cores are only good if you actually USE them. While it's nice to have some spare extra resources, how many people actually fully saturate the 9900K's 16 threads???

2)This means what, exactly? L3 is the largest of the 3 Ls, but is also the slowest among them.

3)You failed to notice that the memory specification of the former is for QUAD channel. That's not a mainstream desktop feature.

4)TDP is irrelevant on Intel cpus, because the jerkwads only specify it at the base clocks. Once Turbo Boost kicks in... 105w TDP... 10 cores/20 threads... LOLOLOL~!
Does any one remember that 95w TDP 9900K?
I 'member! That sucker pulls over 200w under full load, and upwards of 250w when overclocked! What a joke!

5)HEDT costs more by default.
The cpus are cheaper this time around, you say? Oh wow! There's still the more expensive motherboards, and quad channel memory isn't cheap either.

6)'Everything' at the same price... you have no idea...

7)And all the other stuff that was left out.
I know for a fact that these cpus are going to be running on the slower mesh bus. Intel stopped bothering trying to implement the ring bus on more than 8 cores; the process apparently gets more complicated as cores are added, plus it wasn't cost effective for them.

Reactions: RodroX

Endre

Reputable
The OP overlooked this, and you did too - Those cpus are Intel's HEDT section, not mainstream. They serve a different purpose.
Skylake-X = 7800X - 7980XE
Skylake-X Refresh = Replace the 7s in the Skylake-X models with 9s.
Cascade Lake-X = Replace the 7s with a 10, I guess...

1)The extra cores are only good if you actually USE them. While it's nice to have some spare extra resources, how many people actually fully saturate the 9900K's 16 threads???

2)This means what, exactly? L3 is the largest of the 3 Ls, but is also the slowest among them.

3)You failed to notice that the memory specification of the former is for QUAD channel. That's not a mainstream desktop feature.

4)TDP is irrelevant on Intel cpus, because the jerkwads only specify it at the base clocks. Once Turbo Boost kicks in... 105w TDP... 10 cores/20 threads... LOLOLOL~!
Does any one remember that 95w TDP 9900K?
I 'member! That sucker pulls over 200w under full load, and upwards of 250w when overclocked! What a joke!

5)HEDT costs more by default.
The cpus are cheaper this time around, you say? Oh wow! There's still the more expensive motherboards, and quad channel memory isn't cheap either.

6)'Everything' at the same price... you have no idea...

7)And all the other stuff that was left out.
I know for a fact that these cpus are going to be running on the slower mesh bus. Intel stopped bothering trying to implement the ring bus on more than 8 cores; the process apparently gets more complicated as cores are added, plus it wasn't cost effective for them.

My response to you is:
  1. Extra cores and cache at the same price as 9th gen is just good business
  2. The memory is dual channel for both generations! Not quad channel!
  3. Price for i9-10900KF is just 499$
Please check out this link:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.game-debate.com/amp/news/27383/newsAmpPage.html

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My response to you is:
  1. Extra cores and cache at the same price as 9th gen is just good business
  2. The memory is dual channel for both generations! Not quad channel!
  3. Price for i9-10900KF is just 499$
Please check out this link:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.game-debate.com/amp/news/27383/newsAmpPage.html
Noice, you fell for a fake slide(y)

Here's the REAL product slide from Steve @ Gamer's Nexus who attended a meeting with Intel at the beginning of this month regarding the product launch:
View: https://youtu.be/0M4bp6lVv_E?t=335

Endre

Reputable

Here's the REAL product slide from Steve @ Gamer's Nexus who attended a meeting with Intel at the beginning of this month regarding the product launch:

Yeah, but this is the 10th core X series, not the K series!
We don’t know if the K line, 10th gen linked specs are fake news, yet!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If true, then yet another Skylake refresh, another 10% - if that - performance bump over current gen, even hotter chips, for which the budget constrained need not apply...
Coffee Lake Refresh is enough for most... if one is willing to spend the extra cash for a 9700K or 9900K.

Just what could you possibly be expecting from this - and a 10900K, that a bloody 9900K can't already do? And 10 cores for just gaming???
I don't see an air cooler being able to tame that, when the top air coolers can't handle the 9900K OC'd...

Endre

Reputable
If true, then yet another Skylake refresh, another 10% - if that - performance bump over current gen, even hotter chips, for which the budget constrained need not apply...
Coffee Lake Refresh is enough for most... if one is willing to spend the extra cash for a 9700K or 9900K.

Just what could you possibly be expecting from this - and a 10900K, that a bloody 9900K can't already do? And 10 cores for just gaming???
I don't see an air cooler being able to tame that, when the top air coolers can't handle the 9900K OC'd...

“Air cooler”?
I wouldn’t recommend that!
Liquid coolers are the way to go!

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
TL;DR - don't worry about the 10000 series. When it eventually comes out, its gaming performance over the 9000 series will be only slightly better, probably not noticeable.

Plus, depending on your video card, monitor resolution, and monitor refresh rate, the CPU side of things could be less important than the GPU side.

Finally, you don't need the very top-tier best of the best to enjoy gaming. You only need that if you're interested in bragging rights.

Yeah, perhaps worth asking, what video card will this be paired with and what will the monitor's resolution and refresh rate be? For gaming, it's generally better to put more money toward graphics hardware than the CPU. All current-generation CPUs from AMD and Intel in the $200+ range tend to perform rather similar to one another in today's games, within about 5-10% at 1080p when paired with one of the highest-end graphics cards, and with almost identical performance at 1440p or higher when running recent games with the graphics settings turned up. Getting a mid-range CPU (or keeping whatever you have) and putting the money saved toward graphics hardware will in most cases result in significantly better gaming performance.

TRENDING THREADS