Question I'm experiencing FPS drops on my laptop ?

Aug 13, 2024
heres my laptop information :
ASUS TUF Gaming A15
AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX with Radeon Graphics, 3301 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3060 laptop GPU
32 GB ram
smBIOS version 3.3
( i dont understand specs that much so if u guys have more question about the specs you needed to help me just ask)

also another info the GPU temperature is around 80 to 84 just thought i should put it there

so recently i had a problem with my wifi that keeps dissapearing especially a couple of minutes when i play games its rarely happen if i never play games so only appear if i did play games.
ive done everything any solution for the internet about it that doesnt require me to open my motherboard, so i decided to take my laptop to service, after some cleaning and repasting boom its back to normal BUT theres a price.

the price is...... exactly the fps drop when i play a quite heavy game like Monster Hunter World, and RDR2. FYI i never redo settings or use a new settings for the game i do none of that, the setting is like how it used to be. BEFORE i go to clean and repasting it even though there is a connection loss problem i ran these games smoothly no drop no nothing, but all of a sudden theres a fps drops and what interesting is they drop at the same fps
RDR2 : 66fps - 15-22ish fps
MHW : 60fps - 19 is fps

ive contacted the person who clean and repasting it and thankfully hes ready to help me again this time its free of charge, so he repaste it again with a diff one when i test it at his house its doing fine, i run full graphic settings + raising my fps limit to 144(it never really reach 144 fps for MHW but i just thought its normal since it is quite heavy and only run stable 55-60 fps) no drop so far, so i tested it on RDR at home because yk rockstar gonna need you to connect to the internet and my data connection isnt the best so i decide to try it at home.
all looking good so far until it drops again, its not as frequent as before but nether the less its still apeared, the more i play the more frequent the fps drop. Ive check everything i need like looking at the gpu and cpu, but i dont see anything wrong but i do notice the 3D from Nvidia got a massive drop when the fps drop happen.

so the problem i have now is really just a random drop of fps when i play games, i dont think the problem would need like a serious change of hardware to my laptop since before cleaning and repasting its really just fine with playing games no drop no anything with the same settings, pls i really need help.
( i dont really need to play with that high of a graphic but it just concern me that the laptop that usually be able to handle heavy gaming all of a sudden its just dropping frame here and there)
(i do have a feeling it has something to do with the thermal paste used need to be something more better but idk)

im sorry i yap a lot i just thought is need to tell the full story of what happen before to help you guys solve my question and english is also not my main languange so i am sorry about that.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

An SKU to your laptop, apart from the make and model. You should see it on the underside of your laptop. As for your laptop, armed with the SKU, look up Asus's support site and see if you have any BIOS updates pending.

When you see the issue with your WiFi, check and see if in Device Manager, one or more items flag up with a yellow exclamation mark. What thermal paste was used in your repasting process?

I'd see if your OS is pending an update, then see if your chipset drivers are pending an update as well. Following that, use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode, then manually reinstall the latest GPU drivers sourced from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command.

Just a side note, have you tried working with Curve Optimizer within Ryzen Master?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Aug 13, 2024
thanks for the welcome, looking forward to all the help i can get from everyone here!

in terms of update my laptop is pretty much already up to date whether in my asus or windows update settings i always install the latest update.

im not sure about the yellow exclamation mark since the wifi problem has been solved, but there is no sign of any yellow exclamation mark in the device manager

he use deepcool Z3 thats the paste when i first repaste it he use a diff one im not sure about the brand, ill try to ask him about it later

i might try to reinstall the gpu driver later and see if that will help

i havent tried curve optimizer actually well i never really heard of it but i dont think i ever used it before the fps drop problem starts to exist maybe ill see to it aswell.

a bit of an update, when i play monster hunter to test out if its really not luck or anything that the fps didnt drop before but for some reason now theres no sign of fps dropping, not as bad as before at least where it will drop to 19 fps, now it drop to a reasonable fps like aroun 55 - 61(it didnt bother me that much) the only time when the fps will drop to 40 ish fps is when im in a place where there is a lot of like effect and shader something like that but over all playable.

Hey there,

85c for the GPU is pretty high. Right at the end of the scale where some throttling might occur.

What about CPU, what temps are they hitting?

Who did the clean and repaste? It could have been done wrong. WIth laptops, it's best to use a thermal paste with high viscosity as other pastes such as Arctic MX 4/Noctua NT-H1 suffer from pump out effect. Noctua NT H2 is better for bare dies like those in a laptop. It might be worth to check that again.

What Windows power profile is running? Balanced, High Performance?

I presume you are using Asus Armoury Crate? If so, uninstall it, and then test again. AC can cause all sorts of issue if not properly configured.

Aug 13, 2024
Hey there,

85c for the GPU is pretty high. Right at the end of the scale where some throttling might occur.

What about CPU, what temps are they hitting?

Who did the clean and repaste? It could have been done wrong. WIth laptops, it's best to use a thermal paste with high viscosity as other pastes such as Arctic MX 4/Noctua NT-H1 suffer from pump out effect. Noctua NT H2 is better for bare dies like those in a laptop. It might be worth to check that again.

What Windows power profile is running? Balanced, High Performance?

I presume you are using Asus Armoury Crate? If so, uninstall it, and then test again. AC can cause all sorts of issue if not properly configured.
hello,

i don't really know actually since i dont see any temperature in the task manager, ill try to use a third party software or check on my bios

for the thermal paste, i actually did search for some thermal paste that are good for gaming laptop because when he told me he uses this i do have a bit of a doubt whether it is enough for my laptop or not, i will try to search for a better replacement if the problem is from the thermal paste

since i always charge the laptop to play games i set it to turbo, but the balanced option actually uses a bold font is there something wrong with it?

im not sure if i can uninstall and reinstall AC actually maybe ill try it and see if it help.