I'm getting "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucasuck

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
I just build my pc and I was very exciting until I got this message "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"
Before this message it shows on the header JMICRON and on the bottom "detecting drives:no drives" then blink once, "detecting drives: no drive" again Then it goes "boot from CD:DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"
Here is what I tried so far,
1. I set the priority booting device as the cd rom - hard drive
2. I changed the replugged and changed the SATA cable to new one.
3. I unplugged the hdd drives and tried booting with only cd rom drive.

Is there a possibility that the MOBO is damaged or somehow doomed?
I also checked the CMOS features and it show all the drives in it( 2 hard drives and one CD drive).
Please give me some help ..

does the computer POST ok ? if it does then you probably dont have a hardware problem .
Id pull the power from the hard drive you are not installing windows on . Just to simplify things

When you set the dvd to be first boot device did you F10 to save the changes and exit?
Insert the disk and then hit the power button to turn the pc off . Then push it again and it should boot the windows disk

What mobo do you have ? I'm going to guess and say it's an Asus with a Nvidea chipset...but I could be wrong.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
This might sound like a stupid question, but did you actually do what it said to do? Did you insert the OS disk in the Optical drive and press enter? And like outlander said, make sure you save the changes you made to the BIOS.

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Good suggestions by everyone, but I have a question.

The hard drive that you are using is it new or did you pull from another machine? Disk Boot Failure are sometimes representative of a failing hard drive. That fact that the Bios sees it, but doesn't boot would be a good sign (other than checking the cables which it seems you have done).

Did you set the drives up in a Raid Array, this could be adding to the problem, but less likely.

Let us know what happens.

mattbu

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
I am having the same problem. It's a brand new build (first build) and I'm trying to install Windows 7. Whenever I put the DVD in the drive and hit enter I get the "DISK BOOT ERROR" message. I have prioritized and saved the booting instructions as dvd/cd-rom, hard drive and then flash drive. It's recognizing both my hard drive and optical drive in the bios settings. Any help would be appreciated

martinpeim16

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

i got an asus with nvidia chips set!!!!!!! got same error, bios doeasnt read hdd, and if i put vista dvd, it goes to the loading screen and then it crashes there with a blue screen.

helppp!!!1

Go into your bios and change the boot order from CD DRive to Harddrive.

martinpeim16

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

ok, this is the full story:
I wake up, turn the pc on, this error shows up. I look up in forums and see that people say i coul have the cables loose. I check, i try puting it in all sata ports, with differetn cables, nothing.
I changed the bios to boot from the hdd first then cd-rom.
The i put the vista dvd and the windows loggin screen crashes after been stuck fo a while.
I put my motherboard cd, and try to use the "fdisk /mbr" command and it says it cant change the boot tables.
The i c people saying it could be a virus, but i got no idea how to scan for one if i cant even acces windows.
If i check in the start screen, i see the computer doesnt detect the HDD.
I go into the partitions section, and i c a partition of the hdd but only of 24Mb instead of my 500Gb.
pls help, this is so suddenn!!!!!

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Hmmmmm .... stuck between a rock and a hard place.... well if you dont need the info or the data on the drive then I would run a debug script on the drive and start over on the os load......

cloudstrife7

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Make sure you put the disk in right side up. I continually got this error while using my PC. It was dark in the room, and I checked and I put the disk in data side up.

stephanpieri

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I am having the same issue.

I just purchased Windows 7 Professional for my home machine, insert the disk to boot and i get the "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER".

This is a new machine, using all new parts except for the DVD drive.

Things i've tried so far,
1. Inserted my Windows XP Professional disk, this boots fine,
2. Inserted my Windows 7 disk into my laptop (currently running Vista), this boots fine,
3. Inserted my Windows 7 disk into my old desktop (currently running Windows XP Professional), this boots fine,
4. Checked, double checked and triple checked the BIOS, all is setup correctly with the DVD being the first boot device.

I have done lots of searches using good old Google, and i can see that noone is having the same issue as me!

Any help would be greatly appreciated in this, as i might need to see if i can send Windows 7 back if i cannot install it.

Cheers to all
Steph

stephanpieri

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Hiya all,

Just to let you know that i managed to get past this issue.

For any of you in the same situation as i was in, i did 2 things.

1. My motherboard with default settings for increasing performance by using MIT, some overclocking tool. The CPU performance was set to Turbo, so i put this back to Standard.

2. The other thing i did was replace the DVD drive in my computer. I do not know if this was the thing causing the issue, but my computer is now in the process of installing my new Windows 7.

I hope that this can be of use to anyone in need.

Cheers
Steph

phatboy_me

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
Hi Steph,

I was having the same problem, after I read your post, I realized my CD drive was the problem. Bought a LG drive, all went well. Thanks for the post.

Cheers,
phatboy

memnochh

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Hey all,
I am having the same problem. But except windows 7 was installed on my PC by my colleges IT department on a new hard drive I bought so I that my data could be stored on my old hard drive, and Windows 7 was installed on my new hard drive. And I don't have a Windows 7 CD to boot from...
Please help.

memnochh

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Sweet! Switching the Hard Disk Priority in the Bio's fixed this issue! It seems that the hard drive that had Windows 7 installed on it was set some how to boot second, and my other hard disk this which contained only data was set to boot first.

Thanks all!

mulosky

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011

shastabot55

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Ok. i just finished geting by computer hardware put together. i have a new western digital 3TB caviar green, a gigabyte X58A-UD3R motherboard, an asus dvd writer, and a pioneer blu- ray writer. ALL OF THIS IS NEW. NO RECYCLED, except for a pci card from an old computer.

no matter what i do in the bios, when i boot it gives me

"Boot from CD/DVD :
DISK BOOT FAILIURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

I have tried CD-Rom,Hard Drive,Floppy; Hard Drive,CD-Rom,Floppy; Floppy,CD-Rom,Hard Drive; Floppy,Hard Drive, CD-Rom In Boot Order. I am trying to install wndows xp and mac osx(hackintosh, for witch you need The disc iBoot)

I have tried these disks in both of my hard drives. everything shows up in the bios.

iBoot CD
iBoot DVD
XP install cd
XP install DVD

I'm going to try to boot from an old hard drive from 2002, it's the only other desktop hard drive i have. This is really getting me frustrated so thanks in advance.

scottbike10

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
I had a similar issue. It is a computer I built a few years ago. Asus Maximus motherbord. Lots of hard drives, including 4 configured as a RAID(not the boot drive).

In the end, the problem turned out to be that the little battery on the mother board had died. It seems that this causes the BIOS to reset the boot drive. I could go into the BIOS and set the correct drive, and it would start. But then the problem would return. When light finally dawned, and I replaced the battery, I set the boot order one last time and the problem went away.

By the way, in the interim I destroyed the RAID beyond repair. Good think I was mostly backed up!

Hope this helps.

jason_wells

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I've had the exavct same problem; brand new machine no operating system with dvd drive etc, new oem windows 7 disk - same error message. Tried switching around things in the BIOS, tried a stick, etc etc.
In the end I plugged in an external dvd reader popped in the windows 7 disk and no problems at all - it's loading right now!
It must just be that the installed dvd drive needs a driver but it's not installed yet??!
Sorted, I hope this helps.
Jason.

Status
Not open for further replies.