I'm getting much lower performance compared to others when using a GTX 1060 3GB and an AMD-FX-8350.

Mar 29, 2018
My specifications:
GTX 1060 3GB
AMD-FX-8350 (Black Edition)
Windows 10 (64 bit)
MSI Gaming 970 motherboard
500 watt EVGA power supply
1 TB HDD, with a 250GB SSD for games
-----------------------------------------
When playing games like Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, PAYDAY 2, and GTA V, my performance is lower than what others have, and it's enough to be very noticeable.
CSGO: 40-250 fps (My fps is around 80, with drops to 40 in dense places with lots of objects, and 250+ when looking somewhere that there is hardly any geometry, like the sky).
PAYDAY 2: 30-80 fps (30 is most common in areas with lots of enemies, in which there is a lot in this game.)
GTA V: This game stutters so much that it isn't worth the hassle to play it, but it stays around 45 fps.

Lowering settings improves the average, but the drops and random stutters in these games and others remain the same.
My CPU stays at about 30 degrees Celsius most of the time, and I've searched online for solutions and tried most of them with no noticeable improvement (other than things like disabling AMD Cool N' Quiet and Turbo, which boosted my fps to a noticeable degree). Does anyone know what could be happening?

Solution
Sounds like you've got a little bit of CPU bottleneck going on. Disabling the power saving features is helping the CPU stay at a higher clock speed I'm guessing.

If you've not done so, I'd consider overclocking. But that said, it's probably getting time for an upgrade when you can. However, if you can, go into bios, turn off cool n quiet, turn off c1e, turn off basically all of the power saving features, and if you have a decent cooler, maybe do a little overclocking to get the maximum speed out of your CPU to minimize the bottleneck.
Sounds like you've got a little bit of CPU bottleneck going on. Disabling the power saving features is helping the CPU stay at a higher clock speed I'm guessing.

If you've not done so, I'd consider overclocking. But that said, it's probably getting time for an upgrade when you can. However, if you can, go into bios, turn off cool n quiet, turn off c1e, turn off basically all of the power saving features, and if you have a decent cooler, maybe do a little overclocking to get the maximum speed out of your CPU to minimize the bottleneck.

Solution
that is strange, an FX8350 really shouldn't limit a 1060. there probably a power saving mode or some other setting that is causing your poor performance.

reset your bios/uefi to defaults if you haven't done so already
disable any power saving settings
reinstall GPU drivers

setting up an overclock is a great idea either way.

TRENDING THREADS