I'm going to build a new PC with a Z170 motherboard

Solution
If you can get your hands on something like Acronis youcan make a back up of your PC. Then when you restore it you can set it to new hardware mode. All applications files and settings will transfer. A lot of the drivers will not. You will simply need to install the network drive from your Mobo's driver disk and grab the rest from the makers website.

Justin Hsu

Reputable
May 24, 2015

Thanks for the reply, so what would be the feasible solution for it? Transfer my ST31000528AS data to the hard drive that fits the Z170 mobo?

Justin Hsu

Reputable
May 24, 2015

Yes, I want to boot from it, though I don't know how to install the OS in a new MOBO since I never done it before......

kanewolf

Titan
You will need a bootable Windows install media. If you purchased Windows you should have a DVD or USB device. Boot off that media and perform a custom install. Format the disk and install. Use the driver media that came with your motherboard to install the necessary drivers.

There are lots of tutorials on Youtube on how to do a clean Windows install.

Richard Meikle

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
If you can get your hands on something like Acronis youcan make a back up of your PC. Then when you restore it you can set it to new hardware mode. All applications files and settings will transfer. A lot of the drivers will not. You will simply need to install the network drive from your Mobo's driver disk and grab the rest from the makers website.

Solution