I'm guessing the Bulldozer sucks for MMO's?

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
i dont play these games anymore really, dont have time. i might check out old republic just to see how good/bad it is. considering the reviews on bulldozer's core by core performance, i'm guessing the higher end phenom 2's are better for mmo's than the bd's? ironic because about a month before bd came out, i saw a commercial for bd promoting their performance in mmo style games....not sure if anyone else caught that. not sure what the game was on the screen, had dozens of samurai esque warriors on the screen at once.

zergesys

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
Well, the MMO games are probably going to be the worst on BD, I think. That CPU only shines when under very heavy multithreading, which an MMO game won't take advantage of. Most of the heavy stuff like AI and power effect calculations are handled on a server somewhere else.

Maybe if the Game used BD in their servers, lol.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Though CPUs have a role when it comes to games, most games tend to be GPU reliant. I'm sure people can play MMOs on a decent dual core, as long as your GPU can handle the game. Still, the Phenom IIs and Sandy Bridge CPUs are better options than Bulldozer (or at least in terms of gaming).

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
Do you guys know ANYTHING about MMO's? MMO's are EASY to play on almost any PC w/discrete graphics and a lot of them can even play on integrated graphics. The CPU has very little to do with MMO performance. Gpu is what matters. Any BD CPU is going to work just fine on any MMO out there, now and in the future.
This thread is really just a morbidly thin veil for Intel fans to bash on AMD's new BD. Childlike is a good description. If you like Intel, why cant you just be happy? You lead the pack, right now. I think that after awhile the BD may shake out just fine and if not, then progress, will move on and everyone will be just fine.

AbdullahG

Distinguished

Did you READ any of the posts here? Where do you see bashing on BD? You sound worse than the Intel fanboys defending Netburst. Calm your nips bro.

Welve

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
How did this thread about MMOs end up mentioning Netburst (something I still lol at when I see in print)? Anyway, the game won't be CPU intensive is my guess...I have played the beta and can tell you (I think?) that my 955 BE + GTX 275 handles it extremely well, like 60 FPS constant with v-sync on, and without it I bump up to 70-100 FPS...I wouldn't worry about performance issues in MMOs with BD. At the time I had netflix open, teamspeak open, and steam.

Most of the major ones still are. Most are not graphically intensive like EQ2 was at the time. Most use a more basic engine to be able to have massive worlds willed with tons on players and NPCs.

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
wow doesn't tell me much. wow runs on a pentium 4. now if you can get eq2 to run at solid 60fps, now that is telling me something. (i know it's not coded for modern hardware, all the more reason to be impressed if you can get it to run at 60fps).
it's all becoming irrelevant anyway it seems. those games are dying, and the new crop is coming in. it remains to be seen how the new hardware will run games like oldrepublic/guildwars3/d3, etc.

gmcizzle

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009

Yep, WoW actually does run really well under a single core P4 and AGP graphics, which is what my system was a long time ago when I played in vanilla/BC.