[SOLVED] I'm having a remarkable amount of trouble downloading Windows Updates

00000AMillion

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
Link to a screenshot of my Windows Update screen: View: https://imgur.com/a/yY8FpGJ

For several months now, I've been trying to install these updates as they come up in Windows Updater. No matter what I try though, I keep getting the error messages 0x80071a91 and 0x800706ba. I've followed the instructions of these two links:

For the error 0x80071a91, I've tried downloading Microsoft Hotfix, which led to this error message: "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a difference version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch."

For error 0x800706ba, I made sure that Windows Update, Workstation, and Background Intelligent Transfer service were enabled and set to "Automatic" by running services.msc.

For both errors, I've run the Windows Updater troubleshooter, I've run an SFC scan through Command Prompt, I've tried to directly download the updates from the Microsoft Update Catalog Website, and I've run a clean boot. None of these fixes worked.

I'm kinda at my wit's end here, so could someone help me out?

Solution
You made some sort of mistake during setup, as the message indicates this in both halves.

If you are attempting to do an in-place repair install/feature update, please follow the instructions, Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file, to the letter. You do not need a USB drive if you're doing a Feature Update/repair install this way.

If you have decided instead to do a completely clean reinstall, follow one of the following three sets of directions:
a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File

b) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive...
Try this one:
Method 4: Resetting the components of the Windows updates
https://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/fix-error-0x80071a91-on-a-win-10/

There are couple of "\" symbols missing in rename commands.
These lines:
Ren C:WindowssoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 Catroot2.old
Should be corrected to this:
Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.old​
Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 C:\Windows\System32\Catroot2.old​

00000AMillion

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
Try this one:
Method 4: Resetting the components of the Windows updates
https://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/fix-error-0x80071a91-on-a-win-10/

There are couple of "\" symbols missing in rename commands.
These lines:
Ren C:WindowssoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 Catroot2.old
Should be corrected to this:
Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.old​
Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 C:\Windows\System32\Catroot2.old​

The first command on that method, net stop wuauserv, ends with Command Prompt telling me that Windows Updater could not be stopped. Should I just ignore that this time and continue down the list with your corrected commands?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
i would just do a feature update from the Microsoft Media Creation Tool that is the link for the Update Now and all should be good.

Agreed. There is absolutely no point in going through multiple gyrations on a system showing it's still on 1803 without first trying to do the feature update directly to 1903 using the ISO file.

I generally avoid the Update Assistant (Update now button) on the Windows 10 Download Page since I have found it problematic with systems exhibiting behaviors such as those described here. I prefer: Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

Last edited:

00000AMillion

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
In this case I sincerely doubt it would be. And since Version 1803 is but one month away from going out of support now would be the time to do a Feature Update, whether to 1809 or 1903, but why not just go for the latest version if you're going to do it at all?

I'll try Mandark's solution (Microsoft Media Creation Tool) and report back later this evening when I'm home from work.

Thanks for your replies :)

00000AMillion

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
i would just do a feature update from the Microsoft Media Creation Tool that is the link for the Update Now and all should be good.

In this case I sincerely doubt it would be. And since Version 1803 is but one month away from going out of support now would be the time to do a Feature Update, whether to 1809 or 1903, but why not just go for the latest version if you're going to do it at all?

So I tried this and after the long wait while it got my update ready, it ended with the notification "This PC can't run Windows 10. You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive during setup."

What the heck is causing this??

D

Deleted member 14196

Are you trying to run windows 10 on a USB drive? You cannot install windows 10 to a USB flash drive

00000AMillion

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019

So I tried this and after the long wait while it got my update ready, it ended with the notification "This PC can't run Windows 10. You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive during setup."

Does anyone have a solution here?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
You made some sort of mistake during setup, as the message indicates this in both halves.

If you are attempting to do an in-place repair install/feature update, please follow the instructions, Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file, to the letter. You do not need a USB drive if you're doing a Feature Update/repair install this way.

If you have decided instead to do a completely clean reinstall, follow one of the following three sets of directions:
a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File

b) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive

c) How to do a CLEAN Installation of Windows 10 (Tom’s Hardware Forums, with screen shots)

Solution