[SOLVED] I'm looking at external USB 3.0 capture device that can be used for a web cam.

travistee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2016
I'm looking at external USB 3.0 capture device that can be used for a web cam.

I saw this https://itstillworks.com/create-ip-surveillance-camera-usb-cam-23413.html
They say there is a way to do it without the capture device, but I don't know what it can actually do.

Is there a way to do this without needing this capture device?

This is the capture device I am looking at:
Magewell USB Capture HDMI Gen2 - USB 3.0 HD Video Capture Dongle Model 32060

kanewolf

Titan
You need something that the USB camera can connect to that can run a webserver. You don't need to convert video to USB, which is what a capture device does. You need to convert USB to ethernet. You are trying to create an IP camera from a USB. Raspberry PI would be the obvious choice.

travistee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2016
You need something that the USB camera can connect to that can run a webserver. You don't need to convert video to USB, which is what a capture device does. You need to convert USB to ethernet. You are trying to create an IP camera from a USB. Raspberry PI would be the obvious choice.
I took a quick look at the Raspberry PI. It looks like I would have to do lots of work to get this little thing to do what I want. I wasn't planning to do this as a new hobby. It does sound interesting and I may even spend the $35 to get one. Do you know of anyone who has used it to set up a webcam or if there are shareware or freeware versions of software that can do what I want?

The choices I see in the video capture cards range from about $75 to $300. The Raspberry PI is about $35 and more for newer or better models but it looks like lots of work.

I want to be able to send live video to a video conferencing system and they recommend the USB capture systems. It used to require a card in a PC. Now they have these USB devices. It has to work on a laptop.

travistee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2016
How about this article -- https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-webcam-server/

Again -- my point is you neec a "computer" to convert USB to network. It might be embedded in an appliance, it might be a raspberry PI or a laptop.
You don't need a video capture device because you already have USB output from your camera.

I'm starting to see what some of the choices are. I think I'm going to need a laptop to have more control than I can get from the Raspberry PI, since video conferencing will need keyboard entry.
I see there is something called OBS and Sparkocam.
I found this video about that;
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oyKH_0-HEc

So it looks like you are correct and I don't need a capture card. Let me know if you have any additional advice on the OBS and Sparkocam solution.

What exactly are you trying to do? You are talking about video conferencing and the link in the first post is about using a web cam as a security camera. It sounds like you are trying to do something simple in a complex way.

I'm starting to see what some of the choices are. I think I'm going to need a laptop to have more control than I can get from the Raspberry PI, since video conferencing will need keyboard entry.
I see there is something called OBS and Sparkocam.
I found this video about that;
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oyKH_0-HEc

So it looks like you are correct and I don't need a capture card. Let me know if you have any additional advice on the OBS and Sparkocam solution.

travistee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2016
Don't worry about the first post. I started out thinking I needed a HDMI to USB capture device as I said. I think I can do what I need with OBS and Sparkocam. If it works I'll post the results.

I have an question in to the OBS people. For some reason they tell you how to use a DSLR camera but they don't mention using a HD video camera. I'll let you know what they say.

I had to order a USB cable for my Canon R700 video camera, so I'll be able to test it soon.

travistee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2016
sparkocam only works with DSLR cameras and its not good for the sensor. USB to USB is ok for this.

The USB connection did not work with the video camera.

This is what Canon told me about the R700.

"
The HDMI terminal is active, whether you're recording, replaying videos or when the camcorder is powered on and idle (not recording). When using the HDMI terminal, since it replaces the camcorder's display, the display will go dark.

As for powering down, just turn off the "Auto Power Off" menu option off. To do this, touch the Home icon, then choose the "Other Settings" (Screwdriver & Hammer icon) tab, then choose "Settings" (Wrench icon). Next, choose "Auto Power Off" and set to "Off".

"

This looks like the best way to go since this camera has much more control than the webcams like Logitech.

Any recomendations for a HDMI to USB converter