I'm looking for a job where you can build computers i've been interested with computers since i was ten until i was 15 i built

Status
Not open for further replies.

dale5900

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016
where i can find a job building computers and what type of degree should i take and where i can get this job

Solution
The IT world (and the world in general) is changing very fast.

It is quite unlikely that you will be able to make a career out of building computers.

There may be more opportunities involving networking, IoT, 3D printing, robotics, communications, security, etc. Difficult to predict.

Not easy for anyone these days. I do not intend to be discouraging - be great if you can prove me wrong. But we must be realistic.

As for jobs and potential employers - the answer is that you must read the "Help Wanted" ads and go online and search for positions. And you must learn what skills and experience levels employers are looking for.

But after that there is so much more involved.... Boils down to convincing a potential employer that...

Ralston18

Titan
The IT world (and the world in general) is changing very fast.

It is quite unlikely that you will be able to make a career out of building computers.

There may be more opportunities involving networking, IoT, 3D printing, robotics, communications, security, etc. Difficult to predict.

Not easy for anyone these days. I do not intend to be discouraging - be great if you can prove me wrong. But we must be realistic.

As for jobs and potential employers - the answer is that you must read the "Help Wanted" ads and go online and search for positions. And you must learn what skills and experience levels employers are looking for.

But after that there is so much more involved.... Boils down to convincing a potential employer that you can do the job and be a solid, reliable, team player, with good work ethics. And honest.

Starting out means that you will be working in the lowest trenches with the dullest assignments - helpdesk is common. How far up and how fast you can move up depends on your ablility, skills, willingness to sacrifice, etc.. And some luck as well.

Go to a college (two year is fine) or vocational institution and learn about the programs they offer.

(Note: Be careful about for profit technical schools that guarantee employment. Research them carefully.)

Keep your options open by taking classes. Not just technical classes. You need to be able to write, to communicate, to work with people at all levels, and in general be cognizant of the bigger picture. Find a mentor. Be willing to work hard and continue to learn. Your path will become clearer.

Solution

akmo32

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Follow your dream, I recommend salvage electronics.
Most reputable computer shops throw out allot of quality items. Repair and resell them on eBay, craigslist or locally. You will get allot of hands on diagnosing hardware, At little to no expense. Also get good with a soldering iron and replacing caps.
Look into LED TV's, cellphones and tablets as well cause money wont come all from the pc and the market is changing. These shop owners these days are not looking for degrees or to pay $100 an hour to an employee, Its about character, Salesmanship. They don't care if you can reflow laptops or have a new technic on pressure mods. That's more of an enthusiast thing.
I've talked to people with degrees that there only physical hands on experience is fresh installs on campus.
You need a mentor ^^^^^

ksio89

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
I'll be honest, I really don't see how you would make a living of building PCs nowadays. PC sales are diminishing each year, and people just buy another parts if they are faulty. Creating a channel on Youtube about building rigs would be my guess.

cannond1396

Reputable
Aug 15, 2018
I'll be honest, I really don't see how you would make a living of building PCs nowadays. PC sales are diminishing each year, and people just buy another parts if they are faulty. Creating a channel on Youtube about building rigs would be my guess.
I just started my second internship in IT (July 2019), and ask an IT guy about computers, he says that companies most likely just buy and setup pre-built PC's because they are easy and quick. When a new or transferring employees come, you just want to set them up and configure the user account in a unique way aside from the windows pre-setup profile with all the settings we don't need.

Reactions: DMAN999
Status
Not open for further replies.