Question I'm looking for specific screws for the Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper ?

MaxT2

Commendable
Apr 14, 2021
Hello,

I would like to find specific screws that go with Cooler Master’s CM Storm Trooper case.

20231006-T231732-Z-DSC01566.jpg
On the picture, the one on the left is one of the standard screws that comes with the case which is used in various places, including attaching cards back brackets and attaching the left and right case panels. I have plenty of these.

The screws that I am looking for (or equivalent screws, I don’t really mind about the precise look) are the ones on the right. They seem identical but their thread is 1 cm long instead of 5 mm. (I believe that their steps and diameters are equal to those of the shorter screws, though I can’t very precisely measure them).

I looked for screws based on the case name but could find these parts. I ask Cooler Master but the case is too old for them to help.

Do you know a way to find them or to find screws with identical specifications?

(I can always order from abroad, but I would prefer to find them in Europe if possible.)

Thank you for help.

Look on Amazon you can get screws 25 pc or 100 pc bags.

you can also do a google picture search of only the one on the right it should lead you to somewhere that's selling them most likely a link to amazon.

MaxT2

Commendable
Apr 14, 2021
Look on Amazon you can get screws 25 pc or 100 pc bags.

you can also do a google picture search of only the one on the right it should lead you to somewhere that's selling them most likely a link to amazon.

Thank you. I was indeed thinking of ordering screw packs, but I need to be sure about the specs first... From what I understand, things like Mx indicate the diameter... but what about the step?

In example, through Google Search I found some look-alike picture reading "M3/M4" that is only on amazon.co.uk (the UK is close to EU, but... it can be complicated regarding customs) ... but then the length they're actually selling is 6 mm (I guess the picture's wrong) and anyway they're out of order.) Many lousy references abd stuff that have to ship from China so far... Also I said I don't care about the look, but I see many screws with flat heads ... a flat head would make them difficult to use in the location where they need to go.

Edit: From a measure I just made, they could be M2.5 ... is this the standard diameter for bracket screws?
So M2.5x10 ... something ???
Step may be 0.5 mm, but it's very difficult to be sure.

Last edited:

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
Computer case fixings tend to be 6-32 UNC (coarse thread) and M3 (fine thread) although you occasionally see 4-40 UNC on GPU card hex pillars.

If you take an existing screw to a hardware store, you can try out various nuts to determine the thread size, if you don't have a thread gauge.

Looking at your photo and comparing it with an identical knurled case screw and a known M3 x 15mm screw, they both fit into my computer case perfectly without any binding or loose fit, so I think your screws are M3.

Reactions: Phaaze88 and MaxT2

MaxT2

Commendable
Apr 14, 2021
Thank you.
Base on what I measured (but was wrong), I first ordered M2.5x10mm screws. They don't fit well.
So today I redone the measure (it's 12, not 10) and ordered M3x12mm screw.

Then considering when these screws go, it's very hard for me to predict if the screw head will be right or cause difficulties...

I was thinking of ordering a large pack with all kind of screws so I could do multiple tests at once, but after a quick search, my impression was most of these pack stop at 8 or 10 mm-long screws at best (or maybe I didn't search deeply enough). Waiting for the news screws to arrive...

Reactions: stonecarver

MaxT2

Commendable
Apr 14, 2021
So I got M3x12mm screws, but it's weird...

Picture:
61zDxxK847L._SL1001_.jpg

What is weird. I take one of the components where these screws go. Each component has 8 potential holes for these. I test the 8 holes:
- In 2 holes: the new screws enter seamlessly -> OK.
- In 6 holes: the new screws enter, but I can only screw them in for 1 or 2 mm, and then they stuck or they become hard to push, while the actual Cool Master screws enter seamlessly in screw holes...

I wonder what's going on, maybe the threads are slightly different? And then, who's wrong? The new screws (which look like a cheap import from China) or Cooler Master's screw holes?

Right now I don't want to try too strong because I don't want to damage the components screw holes...
I'm thinking of maybe ordering screws from a different source and see if the problem also exists for those.

PS: Well, one the reviews says this :
(Translate from German using Google Translate.) said:
I ordered the screws for my radiators, the threads are constantly seizing up or becoming distorted.

the quality really leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited:

MaxT2

Commendable
Apr 14, 2021
Finally found and received* screw that fit, item name on Amazon is "Cylinder Head Screws DIN 912 A2-70 Stainless Steel M 3 x 12 mm Pack of 100". Thank you all for advice.

919aVV3R72L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

99%* tested and worked.

* Weirdly, these took a long time to get delivered... I was receiving a flow of other Amazon items (mostly storage boxes at this time) but the screws got "delivery attempt, can't deliver" multiple times while they could simply have been dropped in my mailbox the first time... weird logic at work...
* The 1% doubt is because I didn't have the time to completely un "mount a component right now so I old remove the case side panel and test the screw on one side in one single hole.

Reactions: stonecarver