Build Advice I'm thinking of buying some parts ?

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
It can be a bad habit, buying parts that sit around. I know the logic, if you don't need a new gaming PC, wait for newer, better, cheaper.

But my system is based on an ASRock6 Z97 and Intel I7-4790K, so. I'm tempted to get a new one.

I'm thinking of picking up some parts in the Amazon sale - AMD 7800 3DX for $342 (not on Amazon), Seagate 8TB HD $110, Samsung 990 4TB SSD $280 (heatsink isn't available, hopefully not needed). GPU and MB and Case not selected.

To be used with LG G3 TV arriving this week, but need to figure a comfortable way to game from couch (not a fan of controllers).

Lutfij

Titan
The thing with deals/offers is that you need to take the dive yourself. Some people end up with buyers remorse after the product was purchased.

You could wait it out a little longer and see if prices drop in the next month(during Black Friday), provided you're able to wait for that long. To me, it seems like a good buy but what about the rest of your parts? You mentioned the processor, HDD, SSD. I'm not a fan of buying parts one at a time over time since you are sitting on money that isn't being utilized. Rather buy parts in groups.

Are you planning on recycling your PSU?

On second thoughts; please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
The thing with deals/offers is that you need to take the dive yourself. Some people end up with buyers remorse after the product was purchased.

You could wait it out a little longer and see if prices drop in the next month(during Black Friday), provided you're able to wait for that long. To me, it seems like a good buy but what about the rest of your parts? You mentioned the processor, HDD, SSD. I'm not a fan of buying parts one at a time over time since you are sitting on money that isn't being utilized. Rather buy parts in groups.

Are you planning on recycling your PSU?

On second thoughts; please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

Hi, I'd include that list, but I don't have it. Like I said, just picking up some parts, the ones listed. I would need a new PSU, I might get a 1000W if I go with a high end GPU.

It can cut both ways. Sometimes you get a deal you're glad you got; on the other hand, I got a 980 SSD in November for like $200 on sale that quickly went much lower ever since (still unused).

the LG G3 evo oled is 100hz native 4k with VRR and freesync premium i guess.

GPU wise, i would recommend 4090 if you have the cash. 4080 for a more sensible option.
If you dont care about ray tracing, 7900XTX or 7900XT.

7800XT is the lowest i would recommend as it gives about 60fps in 4k.

without storage and gpu:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($349.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($40.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B650E PG RIPTIDE WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Montech AIR 903 MAX ATX Mid Tower Case ($72.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF A3 - TT Premium Edition 1050 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $912.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-10-12 05:43 EDT-0400

Reactions: Craig234
Buy parts when you need them and plan to use them right away.

A good deal will not really go away.
They are often a precursor of an upcoming replacement that is more attractive.
PC parts get better price/performance over time.
If not put to use soon, you may find something better and regret your premature decision.

If there is a time gap between purchase and use, you may go past the warranty or return window without verifying that the purchase is sound.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Generally the sales are for products that were already on sale or not moving for some other reasons. Usually a better product priced about the same. Others are priced in the expectation that you will need to then purchase something to make it work. Might be a discount on CPUs, but motherboards will no longer be on sale to make up the difference. Or memory.

Aside from a few discounts on storage options, nothing really jumped out at me this Prime Day/Newegg/etc.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
^ i snagged a G915 TKL for £109. the 915 would always retail at £160+, so it was a good deal considering i wanted a low profile TKL...

the other option was Keychron, but they dont do 1ms in wireless mode...
An interesting one. Just says it was overpriced?

$140 now, which is about what I paid for a wired mechanical keyboard with the numpad, G513 a few years back.

Thanks for the suggested parts. Would you say 'they work' or are especially 'best picks'?

the 7800X3D is the current gaming cpu king, along with 7950X3D maybe. the soon to be launched i7 14700k might match the performance of 7800X3D but it will cost about 400 to 450 USD if the rumours are true.

but again, you cannot upgrade to a new chip with LGA 1700 mobo, its end of life. So i would consider AM5 and 7800X3D as the best as you can upgarde to next gen CPUs.

the cooler is one of the best:

like i said, B650E with pcie 5.0 ssd. does the job and has upgrade options.

good case with included fans and good airflow. front panel type C. you might want a cooler looking case. upto you.

other options (you might have to buy extra fans):

PSU is again one of the best. Its a top performing tier A psu with 10 years warranty.

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

alternate with white cables:

so except for the case, and no rgb ram (cooler would cover it anyway) i would say the parts are indeed 'the best'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Craig234

Latest posts