Question I'm thinking of buying this computer. I want to hear your opinion and is it worth buying?

Dule035

Honorable
Jun 29, 2019
I'm thinking of buying this computer. I want to hear your opinion and is it worth buying?

AMD
Motherboard : ASRock B450M-HDV
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Hexa Core Processor
GPU: GIGABYTE Radeon RX 6600 EAGLE sa 8G GDDR6
RAM: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200MHz RAM2 x KINGSTON Beast 8GB DDR4 3200GHz CL16
Storage : KINGSTON NV2 500GB PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 NVMe SNV2S/500G - SSD
Case : GAMEMAX Revolt Mid Tower/Black
Power supply: Argus 620W

I'm thinking of buying computer with motherboard ASRock B450M-HDV.
What do you think about this motherboard ?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I want to hear your opinion and is it worth buying?
If you replace the PSU with good quality unit - then Yes.

If not and you keep that no-name PSU in there, then: No.

Price wise, 70.000 RSD = 651 USD and in USA prices, components would be:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($87.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.94 @ MemoryC)
Memory: Kingston FURY Beast 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($47.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston NV2 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($42.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte EAGLE Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Case: GameMax Revolt ATX Mid Tower Case ($70.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $592.89

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-07-20 09:41 EDT-0400

Do note: That PSU is replaced with good quality PSU. If you remove the PSU, price would be ~513 USD.

Since what you're looking at is prebuilt, the one who composed the build also wants money for assembly, so ~650 USD (or 70.000 RSD) would be a bit on the expensive side. But you need to replace the PSU!

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Dule035

Honorable
Jun 29, 2019
If you replace the PSU with good quality unit - then Yes.

If not and you keep that no-name PSU in there, then: No.

Price wise, 70.000 RSD = 651 USD and in USA prices, components would be:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($87.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.94 @ MemoryC)
Memory: Kingston FURY Beast 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($47.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston NV2 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($42.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte EAGLE Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Case: GameMax Revolt ATX Mid Tower Case ($70.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $592.89

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-07-20 09:41 EDT-0400

Do note: That PSU is replaced with good quality PSU. If you remove the PSU, price would be ~513 USD.

Since what you're looking at is prebuilt, the one who composed the build also wants money for assembly, so ~650 USD (or 70.000 RSD) would be a bit on the expensive side. But you need to replace the PSU!
Why do you think that PSU Argus 620 W is not good?

Dule035

Honorable
Jun 29, 2019
every one of their units i've encountered over quite a few years have been very low quality.

usually only intended for basic home/office systems and nothing more.
but, even then i would be skeptical about their reliability.
If replacing the PSU is your only recommendation, overall this is a good gaming setup, other components are good.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Why do you think that PSU Argus 620 W is not good?
Time to burst the bubble....
Btw, i specialize on PC hardware and PSUs are the ones i know most about. Because PSU powers everything and thus, is the most important component inside the PC.

When it comes to PSUs, you need reasons to buy the PSU, not the reasons to reject the PSU. And most important factor, on knowing if PSU is good or not, is:
* review by a REPUTABLE reviewer.

Anyone can take olliscope and hook the PSU on it, make some tests and call the PSU good. That doesn't mean the PSU is actually good. What it takes, is reputable reviewer, e.g Aris Mpitziopoulos who has written PSU reviews for Tom's Hardware and who is also founder of Cybenetics (https://www.cybenetics.com/), which puts PSUs through far more in-depth testing than ATX PSU standard specifies.
Or Jon Gerow (aka jonnyguru), who is the de facto guy when it comes to PSUs. jonnyguru has reviewed loads of PSUs in his years and he is currently working at Corsair as director of PSU engineering.
Other reputable PSU reviewers include, but are not limited to, are: Steve Burke (GamersNexus), Hardware Secrets, PC Perspective, [H]ard OCP, AnandTech, KitGuru, Tech Power Up.

So, when it comes to PSU, it must have:
* official specs site
* review by reputable reviewer (preferably several reviews by several reputable reviewers)

Good to haves are:
* cybenetics report
* long warranty
* high efficiency
* good standing in PSU Tier list ( https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/ )
* good PSU brand reputation
* good PSU OEM (the one who made the PSU)

So, lets take your PSU and see what it has, or has not. I'll also include my own PSU as a comparison.

You have Inter-Tech Argus APS-620W PSU. I have Seasonic PRIME 650 80+ Titanium PSU [SSR-650TD].

Official specs;
your PSU: https://www.inter-tech.de/3427/Argus_APS-620W_EN.html
my PSU: https://seasonic.com/prime-titanium

From your PSU official specs, it has two +12V rails, each rated for 30A. That makes 360W per rail. One can not combine +12V rails to make the output of the PSU 570W, as claimed in the specs. And one can not combine all PSU rails, to magically add 50W and make 570W into 620W. So, what this PSU is, at best, is 360W unit and not 620W unit. This wattage increase is a blatant lie, many cheap PSU makers make, to sell their PSUs easier.

Now, if you were to look the rail layout of my PSU, it has single +12V rail rated at 54A. That makes 648W, just as said in the specs. And PSU total wattage is rounded up by mere 2W, to make nice round 650W, which my PSU is. Seasonic (or any other proper PSU maker), does not magically add watts to their PSU.

Reputable review(s);
I could not find reputable review of your PSU. I couldn't find even any review what-so-ever. That's a very bad sign.
My PSU reviews;
By Aris: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seasonic-prime-titanium-650w-psu,4690.html
By jonnyguru: https://web.archive.org/web/2017090.../modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=493
By KitGuru: https://www.kitguru.net/components/...onic-prime-650w-titanium-power-supply-review/
By AnandTech: https://www.anandtech.com/show/11252/the-seasonic-prime-titanium-power-supply-review

Cybenetics report;
None of Inter-Tech PSUs have been tested by Cybenetics.
My PSU, name listed as:"Prime Titanium 650W": https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&params=2,0,12

Warranty;
For your Inter-Tech PSU, it is listed as 24 months or 2 years under official specs.
My PSU has 12 years of warranty. Listed in official specs. Also, 12 years of warranty is the longest warranty there is for PSU, and Seasonic PRIME series PSUs are only ones in entire world, who have 12 years of warranty. Other high-end PSUs, at most, have 10 years of warranty.

PSU reliability can be seen from the warranty length it has been given.
In a nutshell:
up to 2 years - terrible reliability
3 years - poor reliability (e.g Corsair VS/CS)
5 years - mediocre reliability (e.g Be Quiet! Straight Power 11, Seasonic G12, Corsair CX/CXF)
7 years - good reliability (e.g Seasonic Core/Focus GM, Corsair TX/AX)
10 years - great reliability (e.g Seasonic Focus GX/PX, Corsair RMx/HX/HXi/AXi)
12 years - superb reliability (e.g Seasonic Vertex/PRIME)

Efficiency;
Your PSU does not have any 80+ rating what-so-ever. None. Nada. Official specs claim it to be 82% efficient. This efficiency level is so low, that it doesn't even meet 80+ standard. Since for 80+ White, efficiency level must be at least 85%.
My PSU is 80+ Titanium. The highest efficiency there is. Namely, 96% efficiency.

PSU Tier list;
None of the Inter-Tech PSUs are even listed in there.
My PSU is Tier A, in single-rail section.

Brand reputation;
Inter-Tech GmbH started it's business in 1996 and by selling other manufacturer's PC hardware, namely PC cases and PSUs. In recent years, Inter-Tech started to produce their own PC cases and PSUs. Production also expanded into notebook adapters, external HDD cases, Raid and Sub-Raid systems, CPU coolers, fans and various computer components.
So, a brand that produces plethora of different devices, without specializing in any of them.

Seasonic was founded in 1975 (48 years ago) and Seasonic started to manufacture electronic test equipment. In 1981, Seasonic stated producing PSUs for workstations and servers. In 1995, Seasonic developed the ATX PSU, which now is the standard for all PSUs in PCs. 2003 was the year when Seasonic entered into consumer PSU market and started to make consumer PSUs. In 2009, Seasonic was the 1st in entire world, who made 80+ Gold efficiency PSU (X-series). 2021 saw the release of Syncro PC case, that is custom built to house Seasonic Connect PSU (intorduced in 2019), which simplifies cable management. In 2022, Seasonic released their MagFlow fans with innovative magnetic connection.
Full history here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Sonic#History
Seasonic is a manufacturer (OEM) that specializes in PSUs. Seasonic is 3rd oldest PSU OEM in the world. 2nd oldest is Delta Electronics and 1st one is Flextronics.

OEM reputation;
IF it is to believe that Inter-Tech actually makes their own PSUs, and do not outsource their PSUs to other PSU OEMs, just to slap their brand name onto it, then for being PSU OEM, it would make Inter-Tech the newest PSU OEM, with 2-3 years of experience in making PSUs. Though, i strongly believe that they outsource the PSU manufacture to other PSU OEMs (e.g Great Wall, Sirfa, HEC) and slap their brand name onto it.

My PSU is made by Seasonic itself. Seasonic is one of the best (if not the best) PSU OEM in entire world. Other great PSU OEMs include: Super Flower (founded 1991) and Flextronics (founded 1969). Seasonic has made PSUs for: Antec, Cooler Master, Corsair (e.g AX-series), EVGA, NZXT, Riotoro, Silverstone and XFX as well.

After reading all that (yes, it was a long read), which of the two PSUs you'd use? Your Inter-Tech brand PSU? Or my Seasonic brand/OEM PSU? :rolleyes:

overall this is a good gaming setup, other components are good.
Components are good, but GPU, RX 6600 is a bit old. ~100 FPS at 1080p on average.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
it is not a gaming psu.
There is no such thing as "gaming" PSU. Either it is good or bad PSU. Or to be bit more precise: crap quality, low quality, mediocre quality, good quality or great quality.

Inter-Tech Argus APS-620W is crap quality. Specs lie about wattage and on today's day and age, it doesn't even meet 80+ White efficiency.

Dule035

Honorable
Jun 29, 2019
There is no such thing as "gaming" PSU. Either it is good or bad PSU. Or to be bit more precise: crap quality, low quality, mediocre quality, good quality or great quality.

Inter-Tech Argus APS-620W is crap quality. Specs lie about wattage and on today's day and age, it doesn't even meet 80+ White efficiency.
I am buying this computer on credit, it needs to arrive at a local store, I will request that they change the PSU before I buy it.

Dule035

Honorable
Jun 29, 2019

I am buying this computer on credit, it needs to arrive at a local store, I will request that they change the PSU before I buy it.

Dule035

Honorable
Jun 29, 2019
Time to burst the bubble....
Btw, i specialize on PC hardware and PSUs are the ones i know most about. Because PSU powers everything and thus, is the most important component inside the PC.

When it comes to PSUs, you need reasons to buy the PSU, not the reasons to reject the PSU. And most important factor, on knowing if PSU is good or not, is:
* review by a REPUTABLE reviewer.

Anyone can take olliscope and hook the PSU on it, make some tests and call the PSU good. That doesn't mean the PSU is actually good. What it takes, is reputable reviewer, e.g Aris Mpitziopoulos who has written PSU reviews for Tom's Hardware and who is also founder of Cybenetics (https://www.cybenetics.com/), which puts PSUs through far more in-depth testing than ATX PSU standard specifies.
Or Jon Gerow (aka jonnyguru), who is the de facto guy when it comes to PSUs. jonnyguru has reviewed loads of PSUs in his years and he is currently working at Corsair as director of PSU engineering.
Other reputable PSU reviewers include, but are not limited to, are: Steve Burke (GamersNexus), Hardware Secrets, PC Perspective, [H]ard OCP, AnandTech, KitGuru, Tech Power Up.

So, when it comes to PSU, it must have:
* official specs site
* review by reputable reviewer (preferably several reviews by several reputable reviewers)

Good to haves are:
* cybenetics report
* long warranty
* high efficiency
* good standing in PSU Tier list (https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/)
* good PSU brand reputation
* good PSU OEM (the one who made the PSU)

So, lets take your PSU and see what it has, or has not. I'll also include my own PSU as a comparison.

You have Inter-Tech Argus APS-620W PSU. I have Seasonic PRIME 650 80+ Titanium PSU [SSR-650TD].

Official specs;
your PSU: https://www.inter-tech.de/3427/Argus_APS-620W_EN.html
my PSU: https://seasonic.com/prime-titanium

From your PSU official specs, it has two +12V rails, each rated for 30A. That makes 360W per rail. One can not combine +12V rails to make the output of the PSU 570W, as claimed in the specs. And one can not combine all PSU rails, to magically add 50W and make 570W into 620W. So, what this PSU is, at best, is 360W unit and not 620W unit. This wattage increase is a blatant lie, many cheap PSU makers make, to sell their PSUs easier.

Now, if you were to look the rail layout of my PSU, it has single +12V rail rated at 54A. That makes 648W, just as said in the specs. And PSU total wattage is rounded up by mere 2W, to make nice round 650W, which my PSU is. Seasonic (or any other proper PSU maker), does not magically add watts to their PSU.

Reputable review(s);
I could not find reputable review of your PSU. I couldn't find even any review what-so-ever. That's a very bad sign.
My PSU reviews;
By Aris: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seasonic-prime-titanium-650w-psu,4690.html
By jonnyguru: https://web.archive.org/web/2017090.../modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=493
By KitGuru: https://www.kitguru.net/components/...onic-prime-650w-titanium-power-supply-review/
By AnandTech: https://www.anandtech.com/show/11252/the-seasonic-prime-titanium-power-supply-review

Cybenetics report;
None of Inter-Tech PSUs have been tested by Cybenetics.
My PSU, name listed as:"Prime Titanium 650W": https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&params=2,0,12

Warranty;
For your Inter-Tech PSU, it is listed as 24 months or 2 years under official specs.
My PSU has 12 years of warranty. Listed in official specs. Also, 12 years of warranty is the longest warranty there is for PSU, and Seasonic PRIME series PSUs are only ones in entire world, who have 12 years of warranty. Other high-end PSUs, at most, have 10 years of warranty.

PSU reliability can be seen from the warranty length it has been given.
In a nutshell:
up to 2 years - terrible reliability
3 years - poor reliability (e.g Corsair VS/CS)
5 years - mediocre reliability (e.g Be Quiet! Straight Power 11, Seasonic G12, Corsair CX/CXF)
7 years - good reliability (e.g Seasonic Core/Focus GM, Corsair TX/AX)
10 years - great reliability (e.g Seasonic Focus GX/PX, Corsair RMx/HX/HXi/AXi)
12 years - superb reliability (e.g Seasonic Vertex/PRIME)

Efficiency;
Your PSU does not have any 80+ rating what-so-ever. None. Nada. Official specs claim it to be 82% efficient. This efficiency level is so low, that it doesn't even meet 80+ standard. Since for 80+ White, efficiency level must be at least 85%.
My PSU is 80+ Titanium. The highest efficiency there is. Namely, 96% efficiency.

PSU Tier list;
None of the Inter-Tech PSUs are even listed in there.
My PSU is Tier A, in single-rail section.

Brand reputation;
Inter-Tech GmbH started it's business in 1996 and by selling other manufacturer's PC hardware, namely PC cases and PSUs. In recent years, Inter-Tech started to produce their own PC cases and PSUs. Production also expanded into notebook adapters, external HDD cases, Raid and Sub-Raid systems, CPU coolers, fans and various computer components.
So, a brand that produces plethora of different devices, without specializing in any of them.

Seasonic was founded in 1975 (48 years ago) and Seasonic started to manufacture electronic test equipment. In 1981, Seasonic stated producing PSUs for workstations and servers. In 1995, Seasonic developed the ATX PSU, which now is the standard for all PSUs in PCs. 2003 was the year when Seasonic entered into consumer PSU market and started to make consumer PSUs. In 2009, Seasonic was the 1st in entire world, who made 80+ Gold efficiency PSU (X-series). 2021 saw the release of Syncro PC case, that is custom built to house Seasonic Connect PSU (intorduced in 2019), which simplifies cable management. In 2022, Seasonic released their MagFlow fans with innovative magnetic connection.
Full history here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Sonic#History
Seasonic is a manufacturer (OEM) that specializes in PSUs. Seasonic is 3rd oldest PSU OEM in the world. 2nd oldest is Delta Electronics and 1st one is Flextronics.

OEM reputation;
IF it is to believe that Inter-Tech actually makes their own PSUs, and do not outsource their PSUs to other PSU OEMs, just to slap their brand name onto it, then for being PSU OEM, it would make Inter-Tech the newest PSU OEM, with 2-3 years of experience in making PSUs. Though, i strongly believe that they outsource the PSU manufacture to other PSU OEMs (e.g Great Wall, Sirfa, HEC) and slap their brand name onto it.

My PSU is made by Seasonic itself. Seasonic is one of the best (if not the best) PSU OEM in entire world. Other great PSU OEMs include: Super Flower (founded 1991) and Flextronics (founded 1969). Seasonic has made PSUs for: Antec, Cooler Master, Corsair (e.g AX-series), EVGA, NZXT, Riotoro, Silverstone and XFX as well.

After reading all that (yes, it was a long read), which of the two PSUs you'd use? Your Inter-Tech brand PSU? Or my Seasonic brand/OEM PSU? :rolleyes:

Components are good, but GPU, RX 6600 is a bit old. ~100 FPS at 1080p on average.

That's where the warranty comes in once you get up to 7 yr your into the better stuff.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Seasonic B12 BC is a mediocre quality unit. It will do, if you do not have money for proper, good quality PSU, like
Corsair RMx: https://gigatron.rs/napajanja/corsair-rm750x-750w-napajanje-504305
or Seasonic Focus: https://gigatron.rs/napajanja/seasonic-focus-gx750w-ssr-750fx3-napajanje-637517

Btw, for RX 6600, you do not need 650W PSU. You can do fine with 550W unit as well, and Seasonic B12 BC-550 is 1000 RSD cheaper than it's 650W counterpart,
store: https://gigatron.rs/napajanja/seasonic-napajanje-b12-bc-550-w-b12-bc-550-463019

There is 5 years of warranty with Seasonic B12 BC series.

Dule035

Honorable
Jun 29, 2019
Seasonic B12 BC is a mediocre quality unit. It will do, if you do not have money for proper, good quality PSU, like
Corsair RMx: https://gigatron.rs/napajanja/corsair-rm750x-750w-napajanje-504305
or Seasonic Focus: https://gigatron.rs/napajanja/seasonic-focus-gx750w-ssr-750fx3-napajanje-637517

Btw, for RX 6600, you do not need 650W PSU. You can do fine with 550W unit as well, and Seasonic B12 BC-550 is 1000 RSD cheaper than it's 650W counterpart,
store: https://gigatron.rs/napajanja/seasonic-napajanje-b12-bc-550-w-b12-bc-550-463019

There is 5 years of warranty with Seasonic B12 BC series.
Thanks

Reactions: Aeacus