Question I'm trying to add a GTX 980 or 1660 to Lenovo ThinkCentre M91p

paulliewallnuts

Commendable
Nov 27, 2018
Hi, I'm trying to cobble together a gaming PC for my nephew, He's got a Lenovo ThinkCentre M91p and bought a GTX1660 GPU and a CX550M PSU, The GPU lights up and fan spins but no output, I try to open any thing Nvidia and it says no Nvidia GPU detected also under Device Manger I have no GPU under display adapters but under other devices I have PCI slot but can't update the driver or anything.

I tried the 1660 in another PC and it works fine. I put my working GTX980 in the Lenovo machine and same deal no out put but I can boot in to on board graphics even with the 980 GPU in but still no detection of the GPU. With the 1660 I couldn't boot in to the on board graphics with the GPU inserted, I'm pretty stumped, Any ideas? Maybe this should be posted in Motherboards, IDK but if any one can help me with this I'd really appreciate it.

May 6, 2020

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
the more I'm reading its the Lenovo Thinkcentre M91p directly that isn't compatible with the latest release of NVIDIA cards.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkC...-RTX-2070-get-Blank-screen/m-p/4321668#M24812

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkC...eforce-1660-and-Thinkcentre-M91P/td-p/4549318

I'm still looking in to it.
I wouldn't think that should be the problem, unless Nvidia changed something between the 10-series and the 16-series cards. I had a previous-generation Lenovo M58P tower and put a GTX 1050 Ti (and later a GTX 1060) in it w/o any issues.

The fact that the GTX 980 didn't work at first but later did work seems to indicate something else is at play. Just wish I had an answer for you.

May 6, 2020
I wouldn't think that should be the problem, unless Nvidia changed something between the 10-series and the 16-series cards. I had a previous-generation Lenovo M58P tower and put a GTX 1050 Ti (and later a GTX 1060) in it w/o any issues.

The fact that the GTX 980 didn't work at first but later did work seems to indicate something else is at play. Just wish I had an answer for you.
i heard that there’s a gpu whitelist on lenovo motherboards and bios? maybe my 2060 isn’t being allowed to run by the pre-installed bios?