[SOLVED] I'm upgrading My pc and need advice on my choices. Advice needed

noaharc

Honorable
Sep 5, 2017
Using this pc for Gaming
I just need advice on a Motherboard and Ram and maybe some debate on the 5600x that ive been suggested to get

(Want)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 5600x

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Have)

CPU Cooler
CRYORIG H7 49 CFM CPU Cooler

Storage
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Video Card
EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB SSC GAMING ACX 3.0 Video Card

Power Supply
Thermaltake TR2 800 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

Last edited:
Solution
Yeah, a 3900X is probably not the best choice for gaming now that AMD just released their new 5000-series CPUs the other day. The 5000-series uses AMD's new Zen3 architecture that can perform over 20% faster in games in situations where performance is CPU-limited. And today's games don't even tend to fully utilize an 8-core, 16-thread CPU, and currently get along fine on 6-core, 12-thread models, so the much of the 12-cores and 24-threads of a 3900X will be sitting around idle when gaming. So, a 5600X or 5800X will tend to be faster CPUs for gaming. The only issue might be buying them right now, since they just came out within the last couple days, and are more or less sold out at the moment.

However, with only a 1050 Ti, your...

noaharc

Honorable
Sep 5, 2017
What are your other parts right now and what are you using the PC for?

Where are you buying parts from? Country?
I'm using the pc for Gaming mainly
My other parts that i currently have like cpu,motherboard and ram are outdated and are getting replaced. The ones under the dotted line are my current parts that're not getting replaced. I'm buying in the us and those are the lowest prices on pcpartpicker. I appreciate the repsonse btw :)

Last edited:
Yeah, a 3900X is probably not the best choice for gaming now that AMD just released their new 5000-series CPUs the other day. The 5000-series uses AMD's new Zen3 architecture that can perform over 20% faster in games in situations where performance is CPU-limited. And today's games don't even tend to fully utilize an 8-core, 16-thread CPU, and currently get along fine on 6-core, 12-thread models, so the much of the 12-cores and 24-threads of a 3900X will be sitting around idle when gaming. So, a 5600X or 5800X will tend to be faster CPUs for gaming. The only issue might be buying them right now, since they just came out within the last couple days, and are more or less sold out at the moment.

However, with only a 1050 Ti, your performance will be held back by the graphics card nearly all the time in newer titles, even at 1080p resolution, making the choice of CPU far less important. What CPU do you have now? Unless it's a rather old design, like one of AMD's older FX models, you would likely get much more of a performance uplift in games out of a faster graphics card instead.

Reactions: noaharc
Solution

noaharc

Honorable
Sep 5, 2017

However, with only a 1050 Ti, your performance will be held back by the graphics card nearly all the time in newer titles, even at 1080p resolution, making the choice of CPU far less important. What CPU do you have now? Unless it's a rather old design, like one of AMD's older FX models, you would likely get much more of a performance uplift in games out of a faster graphics card instead.
cool thanks for the info. I go for max fps in every game i play so I'm not to worried about the 1080 res. Ill be on all low and lower res. My current cpu is actually the phenom ii x4 955, haha super old. but I'm getting over 60fps in overwatch and 100 in cs which are my main games. My motherboard is a msi 7551 ver 1.2 and ram is old af too. any suggestions for a motherboard

noaharc

Honorable
Sep 5, 2017

Hey so a 5600x seems kind of impossible anytime soon haha. any suggestions on the second best option. Also How long did ryzen 9's take to become available

TRENDING THREADS