[SOLVED] I'm upgrading my RAM. Should I wait?

HardToSpell

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
I'm currently getting some upgrades for my rig while I wait for GPU prices to normalize here in South America.
My next purchase will be for new ram sticks, as my current meager 4x4GB DDR4 is bottlenecking my system while I work from home.
I've been reading on DDR5 coming out sometime soon™, and it currently has me puzzled.
My original plan was to 1) get a 2x16GB DDR4 kit and then adding another 2x16GB DDR4 in the future just to be sure I wouldn't need further upgrades, but now I'm torn between 2) getting a 4x8GB DDR4 kit and wait to upgrade to DDR5 some other time or 3) just wait for DDR5 and a new motherboard.
So I ask those of you with a better understanding of the current situation on RAM, what is the most reasonable move for the long term?

Reactions: Prastowo
Solution
Go ahead and Buy the DDR4, there's not enough info of price or timelines of ddr5 and mobos to hit the shelves.
Just Don't take the chance on buying separate kits of ram and expecting them to work together, there is No Guarantee they Will.
So buy 2x?? Or 4x?? And for best practice buy what is on your mobo's Qvl or use something like G.skills Ram Configurator.
https://www.gskill.com/configurator...9&adSearch2=Capacity§32GB+(8GBx4),&model=3410

I have been doing the same thing upgrading what I can while waiting on the Gpu Market to someday get to near normal again but I'm starting to run out of upgrades.
So far has been.
Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm
Asus 27" 1440p 165hz monitor
2x Samsung 870 evo's
Go ahead and Buy the DDR4, there's not enough info of price or timelines of ddr5 and mobos to hit the shelves.
Just Don't take the chance on buying separate kits of ram and expecting them to work together, there is No Guarantee they Will.
So buy 2x?? Or 4x?? And for best practice buy what is on your mobo's Qvl or use something like G.skills Ram Configurator.
https://www.gskill.com/configurator...9&adSearch2=Capacity§32GB+(8GBx4),&model=3410

I have been doing the same thing upgrading what I can while waiting on the Gpu Market to someday get to near normal again but I'm starting to run out of upgrades.
So far has been.
Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm
Asus 27" 1440p 165hz monitor
2x Samsung 870 evo's

Reactions: HardToSpell
Solution
16GB of ram is usually more than enough for work at home situations. What are you doing that's exceeding that much ram usage?
I second this, what exactly are you doing for home work that 16GB is not sufficient?
Can you post a screenshot of your RAM usage under your workloads?

Assuming a RAM upgrade actually would be beneficial, DDR4 would be the way to go at this point in time. The technology has had sufficient time to mature, meaning you get robust speeds and capacities at a reasonably prices. Chances are DDR5 at launch will cost more and be slower than DDR4 for a short period of time. DDR4 was the same story.

DDR5 will indeed cost alot at launch, and it will take several years before it can achieve general consumer-level prices.

IMO its not worth it to wait if you need the upgrade now, because given the current pandemic situation and global silicon shortage, you can expect new product development to also be hampered in the future. Playing the waiting game, you might end up not being able to buy anything at all and ram prices are steadily increasing. Manufacturers are still making new fabs which takes several years to setup.

If none of these current conditions existed, playing the waiting game might work if you can still hold onto your current hardware and willing to wait as long. So I second everyone's recommendation to use DDR4.