News Imagination Technologies Enters the CPU Space With RISC-V Architecture

I wish PowerVR would come back to DeskTop graphics and make Graphics Cards that are competitive with nVIDIA, AMD, Intel

Imagination make their business model to pure licensing only because they cannot really take the heat on desktop market before. Another problem is the company seems very reluctant to invest on better software for their hardware. That's why despite having one of the best gpu design on mobile no other soc maker really license their design.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Imagination make their business model to pure licensing only because they cannot really take the heat on desktop market before. Another problem is the company seems very reluctant to invest on better software for their hardware. That's why despite having one of the best gpu design on mobile no other soc maker really license their design.
Maybe they need new leadership who has more cajones and a broader vision.

i think their CEO already step down when the fiasco with Apple happen. and he was the one that pull Imagination to mobile licensing only in the early 2000s. i think right now Imagination is owned by some chinese company. discrete GPU is not an easy market to enter. GPU is one hardware that rely a lot on drivers. what other hardware that have frequent driver updates like GPU? and majority of hardware maker only want to support their hardware within 18 to 24 months only. with GPU people are getting angry even when the hardware already being supported for 6 years no longer receive driver updates. this is why some legit GPU maker that still exist today does not want to enter discrete GPU market even if they have billions of dollars to fund the project like Qualcomm.

lazyabum

Reputable
Jan 16, 2021
You'd think after being on top of GPUs with iOS, Desktop video cards would be a no brainer. I guess they're still afraid of competition. Plus ImgTec was to make a 128 core GPU for Apple Mac Pro's.

TRENDING THREADS