IMedia X2414 has died!!

CompuDad

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
2 years ago I brought a iMEDIA X2414 for my teenage daughter and during that time it has been fine.

Last month she reported seeing a BSOD and then... nothing... completely dead!! When I powered it on the fan is heard then after 2 or 3 seconds it dies. No BIOS on the monitor, in fact the monitor never comes on.

I had a look inside and saw that the CPU cooling fan and heatsink were both full of dust (I keep telling her to clean that damm room of hers!)

So, I stripped it down cleaned everything and reassembled. When I swithed on the CPU fan came on but after about 2 or 3 seconds went off again. Every power on attempt results in the same effect. Namely fan comes on for 2 to 3 seconds then dead!!

I changed the PSU for something with a bit more meat (580W instaed of the installed 250W) but the same thing happens.

I pulled out the HDD and DVD drive and all ancillary cards anf the front panel audio and USB connectors and even the memory but it's the same everytime

I removed the BIOS battery and checked the voltage. It was okay but I replaced it anyway. still the same.

So after all this I'm left with either the mainboard or the CPU. Because of the amount of dust found inside blocking the cooling process I'm leaning towards the CPU but I don't have another to try.

So the question is, is there anything else I can do to prove whether it's the CPU or the MB I don't really want to waste the cash by replacing both.

Model: iMEDIA X2414
Main board: MCP73VT-PM with NVIDIA GeForce 7050 and nForce 610i chipset
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Memory: 2GB DDR2 (2x1GB strips)

Your help is greatly appreciated :)

G

Check the larger capacitors close to the processor -- any sign of leakage or bulging of the end caps. Common cause of mobo failure.

mikeaggy

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Hi
I have the exact same PC and the exact same problem! I also have replace the power supply with a 500w and disconnected all of the motherboard connections. We have a feeling it might be the heat / fan sensor in the cpu but cannot load the pc to allow us to disable this! Have you made any progress cos I am thinking of getting a new motherboard!
Thanks
Mike

G

hi
is the motherboard, a friend mine had the same problem, we just change the motherboard and is everything ok now.

sonicjim

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
anon - what replacment motherboard did you buy? got the same problem here and want to make sure the replacement is fully compatible with everything else.

Jim

TopGoblin

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Did anyone find a solution to this? Or Can anyone provide the best way to test components?
I have the EXACT same problem, i just replaced the Motherboard AND the PSU, and still getting Red light.. :eek:
So i'm thinking it's the CPU.. GOD DANG IT. This feckin Piece of sh!t has already cost me €120 and now i may have to replace the CPU???

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER TOUCH PACKARD BELL CR@P. They have been surviving on the skin of their teeth for far too long, they deserve to go to the Company Graveyard..