Important Heatsink/Fan PSU question!!!

G

I'm putting together a new computer, epox 8k7a mobo, and have an FOP32-1 HS/F. A note came with the HS that said I should NOT connect it to the mobo, because it may short it out, and that I should connect it to my PSU via a 3 to 4 pin adapter. Now here are my questions. Is connecting it to the mobo really an issue? is there a downside to connecting it directly to the PSU? Also, i have a casefan connected to the PSU that is like a Y connector, so i can connect another device to it, so that the case fan doesn't waste the 4 pin connector. Is it safe to have the case fan running off of the PSU, and the 3 to 4 pin adapter connected to Y cable which connects from the case fan? Or should I plug them both into their own 4 pin connector? Lots of questions, hope someone can answer them :)
thanks for your time!

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I also have a FOP32, and I have it connected to the motherboard. I received no such note with my HSF. However, mine may have a different fan than yours.

The downside to connecting it directly to the PSU is that software cannot monitor the fan RPMs. Seeing as you are planning on having a hot-running Athlon, this may be rather nice to have.

As for connecting two fans to the Y connector, that's perfectly safe. I've done it myself many times.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."