Question I'n having issues with RAM, and I need some advice/help.

Dec 29, 2021
Hey all.
I was tweaking around with the computer last night, since i wanted to get more RAM for my PC, and wanted to see what type of ram I already had. I took a piece out, made some photos of it and put it back in (slot 3). However, the PC didn't see that RAM stick anymore. It told me I only had 4GB installed (my build is 2x4GB). I tried using the other channel, but to no avail, so i also attempted to clean the original slot, and it made an interesting difference: normally the BIOS would say that I had 4GB installed, single channel, but now it says 4GB dual channel?? I'm even more confused, since the RAM stick installed in the 3rd slot isn't broken. I took both out and tested them each on different slots - both worked well in slot 1, neither worked in slot 2, 3 or 4. What can I do?

Dec 29, 2021
What's the motherboard model?
As @sizzling says, dual channel is usually enabled by populating slots 2 and 4 (counting the closest to the CPU as 1).
Nevermind. For some reason, it works again. Sadly, slots 2 and 4 still don't work (I'm thinking of upgrading so I'll have to get that checked out soon!)
I actually didn't do anything. My cleaning attempts seemed unsuccessful. I just moved the ram from slots 1 and 3 to 2 and 4, and then back to 1 and 3 and my 8GB are back. Sorry for wasting your time, but I appreciate the help anyway.

TRENDING THREADS