[SOLVED] In need of guidance, is this new custom build optimal or will I experience throttle in some way shape or form?

Sep 15, 2019
Hi guys, I don't know much about throttling when it comes to pc setups, I only really know the basics about gaming PC's (GPU, CPU, RAM and whatnot) so I was just wondering if anybody who knows a bit more could tell me if this setup will experience any problems like throttling or if the setup is future proof, can I add SSD/more RAM/what RAM speed can I reach and so on?

If anyone knows stuff about motherboards I'd really appreciate their input on whether this motherboard will let my other components perform to their max capabilities.

Specs:
CasePCS CYCLONE GAMING CASE (Red LED Fans)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache
MotherboardASUS® PRIME Z390-P: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 650W VS SERIES™ VS-650 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCoolerMaster Hyper 212X (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler Black Edition
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired NetworkingWIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Solution
A hyper 212 is not enough for a 9700k. The 9700k needs a bigger cooler to run cool and be quiet.
A Corsair VS650 is a budget PSU. I would STRONGLY reccomend upgrading to a TXM650w at least for a 2080ti.
The motherboard is fine. Nothing special at all. I would go for a little better board since you are using a $350 CPU, but you really don't need to.

You could drop the 32gb ram for 16gb and spend the saved money on the above improvements. 16gb is all you need for gaming.
A hyper 212 is not enough for a 9700k. The 9700k needs a bigger cooler to run cool and be quiet.
A Corsair VS650 is a budget PSU. I would STRONGLY reccomend upgrading to a TXM650w at least for a 2080ti.
The motherboard is fine. Nothing special at all. I would go for a little better board since you are using a $350 CPU, but you really don't need to.

You could drop the 32gb ram for 16gb and spend the saved money on the above improvements. 16gb is all you need for gaming.

Solution
Sep 15, 2019

Thanks for the speedy reply, would a Noctua NH-US14S Ultraquiet performance CPU cooler be okay for the 9700k or could you recommend another?
Also I can amend my order to add a TXM650w, thank you sir!

NH-U14s is a great cooler.
What is your new case, and why did you need one?
NH-U14s is a bit taller than most coolers at 165mm.
As an alternative, the noctua NH-D15s is a similarly priced cooler that is stronger and is only 160mm tall.

And... I urge you to replace the 1tb HDD with a 1tb ssd.
I suggest Samsung evo in either m.2 pcie or 2.5" format.

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch
Dec 6, 2019
What about case fans. When I had my first cpu built for me by Cyberpowerpc I totally didn’t even think about them and my PC came with 1 fan and that was the one on the aio. It made temps really hot. I would add at least two case fans if you can. It can help cool by up to ten degrees C just getting some fresh air in the case.

edit: also I would get a ssd or m.2nvme, they just had a bunch of deals so it’s easy to get one. Even a 128-256gb drive is like under 40$ and will make your computer 10x more responsive. Load times in games and apps will be super fast especially if you go m.2, and right now m.2 is practically the same price gb for gb with ssd except for maybe 3$. Find a good 256gb nvme m.2 to install windows to and your all set. It won’t throttle with a old style HDD, but it’ll take a long time to load stuff. If your going for a 2080ti do this, trust me.