[SOLVED] In Need of New Computer Parts.

LDavis213

Reputable
Nov 15, 2018
Hi there.

My computer is on it's last legs, sort of.
I'm hoping to upgrade my motherboard, Ram and CPU.

Here are my current specs:

AMD FX 8350 Eight Core Processor
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1080 Aero OC 8GB
Asus M5A97R2.0
Thermaltake 650W PSU
Windows 7 x64
And a neat Asus Xonar DG sound card. Which I believe causes many problems.

I am looking for a motherboard with many SATA slots. My MB has six and are all in use.
I suppose up to 8 RAM slots will be neat, and I heard DDR4 is quite fancy.
I have no clue what CPU is required, but I hear AMD isn't so great and that the one I have isn't so good.

Thank you very much for reading!

Solution
If you can swing it, you might start here with an Intel build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49 CFM CPU Cooler ($55.74 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $435.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-14 06:27 EST-0500

or here for an AMD build

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Best Buy)...
As far as SATA slots go, you can easily add a PCIe SATA card to expand the number of slots. Anyway most of teh AMD X570 have 8 and a good number of the X470 as well>

Commercial chips only support two DIMM slots per channel at most, meaning 4 total slots. And any more is worthless with DDR RAM anyway.

AMD CPUs are excellent, and almost better value at every performance range.

What is the primary use you plan for this system? Just gaming? Gaming and streaming? Video/photo editing?
What is your price range and where are you located?

LDavis213

Reputable
Nov 15, 2018
As far as SATA slots go, you can easily add a PCIe SATA card to expand the number of slots. Anyway most of teh AMD X570 have 8 and a good number of the X470 as well>

Commercial chips only support two DIMM slots per channel at most, meaning 4 total slots. And any more is worthless with DDR RAM anyway.

AMD CPUs are excellent, and almost better value at every performance range.

What is the primary use you plan for this system? Just gaming? Gaming and streaming? Video/photo editing?
What is your price range and where are you located?

Hello.

I'm not sure what a DIMM is. Looks a bit like a Ram stick.
I understand what you mean with 4 slot though. That would be more than enough for the size of Ram sticks.

I do plan on gaming and potentially recording, video editing.

I'm not sure what my price range would be. If there is a MB & CPU that can go with my GPU and that will suit my needs, well I suppose i'd have to get them.

I will look into the SATA cards also.

Thank's for the response.

Hello.

I'm not sure what a DIMM is. Looks a bit like a Ram stick.
I understand what you mean with 4 slot though. That would be more than enough for the size of Ram sticks.

I do plan on gaming and potentially recording, video editing.

I'm not sure what my price range would be. If there is a MB & CPU that can go with my GPU and that will suit my needs, well I suppose i'd have to get them.

I will look into the SATA cards also.

Thank's for the response.
So you are looking at whole new system ?
DIMM (Dual Inline Memory Module) = RAM and all new systems .work with DDR4. More than 4 RAM slots come only with workstation/server MBs and for that you need Intel Xeon or AMD Threadripper CPU systems. Luckily, DDR4 comes with 16 and even 32GB modules so you can have a lot of memory even with ordinary MBs with 4 RAM slots.
As for performance, new Ryzen R5 3600 would be several times faster than what you have now, let alone something like Ryzen R9 3950x.
Most knew full ATX MBs come with at least 6 SATA ports with 2 M.2 NVME SSD slots which would be really beneficial for video editing.

LDavis213

Reputable
Nov 15, 2018
So you are looking at whole new system ?
DIMM (Dual Inline Memory Module) = RAM and all new systems .work with DDR4. More than 4 RAM slots come only with workstation/server MBs and for that you need Intel Xeon or AMD Threadripper CPU systems. Luckily, DDR4 comes with 16 and even 32GB modules so you can have a lot of memory even with ordinary MBs with 4 RAM slots.
As for performance, new Ryzen R5 3600 would be several times faster than what you have now, let alone something like Ryzen R9 3950x.
Most knew full ATX MBs come with at least 6 SATA ports with 2 M.2 NVME SSD slots which would be really beneficial for video editing.

Not a new system. I have been told my CPU is not suited for my GPU. But in order to get a suitable CPU i will need a suitable MB. So I've been told.

So I will need to have a DIMM stick if i were to have DDR4 RAM?
I mentioned the DDR4 as I heard it's a new big thing.

Apologies if i'm not making much sense. I don't know about these different types of Ram.

Not a new system. I have been told my CPU is not suited for my GPU. But in order to get a suitable CPU i will need a suitable MB. So I've been told.

So I will need to have a DIMM stick if i were to have DDR4 RAM?
I mentioned the DDR4 as I heard it's a new big thing.

Apologies if i'm not making much sense. I don't know about these different types of Ram.
There's no better CPU available for that platform, you'll have to build new system to get any performance improvement. That means at minimum CPU, MB and RAM.
For any newer system you need DDR4 memory which is not interchangeable with DDR3 (DIMM/RAM) you have now.

LDavis213

Reputable
Nov 15, 2018
There's no better CPU available for that platform, you'll have to build new system to get any performance improvement. That means at minimum CPU, MB and RAM.
For any newer system you need DDR4 memory which is not interchangeable with DDR3 (DIMM/RAM) you have now.

I know, that was the idea. I mentioned that I am in need of a new mb, cpu & ram on forum post.
I posted my specs and said what I was looking for. I just don't know what kind of MB i'd need, CPU & RAM to use with my existing GPU. I realize I may also need a higher wattage PSU.

I know, that was the idea. I mentioned that I am in need of a new mb, cpu & ram on forum post.
I posted my specs and said what I was looking for. I just don't know what kind of MB i'd need, CPU & RAM to use with my existing GPU. I realize I may also need a higher wattage PSU.
Well, I could recommend system like mine with maybe more RAM (32GB in 2x16GB configuration). For jobs like that, check benchmarks Cinebench r15 and r20 as well as Corona 1.3 and compare to results I'm getting, CBr20 about 5000 and Corona 1.32 minutes.

Wolfshadw

Titan

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)

or here for an AMD build

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $324.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-14 06:29 EST-0500

-Wolf sends

Solution

LDavis213

Reputable
Nov 15, 2018

PCPartPicker Part List

or here for an AMD build

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $324.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-14 06:29 EST-0500

-Wolf sends

Oh wow that's cool.
I'd go for the Intel. I guess this is quite a stupid question. I have 8 core, the Intel is 6 core? And that's more powerful?

I have no clue what CPU is required, but I hear AMD isn't so great and that the one I have isn't so good.
That was true maybe 3-4 yrs ago. Current gen. AMD processors are as good as Intel and in certain cases even better. Its why Intel is losing market share rapidly to AMD. Although this catch up game has shot their prices up almost on par with Intel, they are still better value for money.
As for RAM, any kit might have incompatibility issues, sometimes even QVL kits dont work due to manufacturing defect or some other reason. In my years of building experience, more often than not two different RAM kits do work together. Otherwise you can always sell the existing and buy a new kit. And ofcourse a proper kit has more probability of compatibility right away, out of the box.

If this is me, I would go for something like this...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | $309.99 @ B&H
Motherboard | MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard | $99.99 @ Amazon
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory | $69.99 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $479.97
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-21 02:44 EST-0500 |

Those 8 cores with hyper threading have plenty of power to be almost on par with 9600k in most games and better in some others, specially CPU intensive ones. And it will vastly outwit it in most other tasks including multitasking. Also, it should last you way longer along with a good upgrade path. You can ignore the RED warning as the MSI MAX series boards do come with BIOS updated which PCPP cannot distinguish from previous models. Do remember that board is good for running stock clocks on your CPU and maybe some mild overclocking with the stock cooler, but not for high overclocking for which you will need a more expensive board with better VRMs and power phases, along with a better cooler. Ryzen do not have too much overclocking headroom anyway.

In the below benchmark, which is an overall test of a processor, you can see 9600k on 13490 where as 3700x on 23854...
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Last edited:

LDavis213

Reputable
Nov 15, 2018
Sorry. No. Even two identical kits may have compatibility issues.

If you want 32GB of RAM, purchase a 32GB kit, not two 16GB kits.

Just as an example, if you want 32GB of RAM:

1) Get this: G.Skill DDR4-3200 32GB 4x8GB (32GB Kit)
or
2) Get this: G.Skill DDR4-3200 32GB 2x16GB (32GB Kit)
Do NOT
3) Get two of these: G.Skill DDR4-3200 16GB 2x8GB (two 16GB Kits).

-Wolf sends
Oh darn.

So the Intel i5 CPU & the MSI motherboard you recommended will work with the DDR4-3200 consisting of 32GB.
And also my current GPU?

LDavis213

Reputable
Nov 15, 2018
That was true maybe 3-4 yrs ago. Current gen. AMD processors are as good as Intel and in certain cases even better. Its why Intel is losing market share rapidly to AMD. Although this catch up game has shot their prices up almost on par with Intel, they are still better value for money.
As for RAM, any kit might have incompatibility issues, sometimes even QVL kits dont work due to manufacturing defect or some other reason. In my years of building experience, more often than not two different RAM kits do work together. Otherwise you can always sell the existing and buy a new kit. And ofcourse a proper kit has more probability of compatibility right away, out of the box.

If this is me, I would go for something like this...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | $309.99 @ B&H
Motherboard | MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard | $99.99 @ Amazon
| Total | $479.97
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-21 02:44 EST-0500 |

Those 8 cores with hyper threading have plenty of power to be almost on par with 9600k in most games and better in some others, specially CPU intensive ones. And it will vastly outwit it in most other tasks including multitasking. Also, it should last you way longer along with a good upgrade path. You can ignore the RED warning as the MSI MAX series boards do come with BIOS updated which PCPP cannot distinguish from previous models. Do remember that board is good for running stock clocks on your CPU and maybe some mild overclocking with the stock cooler, but not for high overclocking for which you will need a more expensive board with better VRMs and power phases, along with a better cooler. Ryzen do not have too much overclocking headroom anyway.

In the below benchmark, which is an overall test of a processor, you can see 9600k on 13490 where as 3700x on 23854...
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
Hi there. As you can probably tell, i'm no computer person, software wise. I have been told that my computer setup is the reason why it is now crashing & have came here to look for assistance with purchasing the correct parts. A lot of what you said, I have no clue what it means, VRM's, PCPP and such. Though I do appreciate your comment. Guy by the name of Wolfshadow has found a suitable CPU & MB that is compatible with my GPU and I believe new RAM too.

Quite interesting regarding the AMD CPU. Though I don't think it's worth double the price for the ability to multi task better. Or maybe it is, I don't know. If playing a Steam game and having Chrome open on another monitor is multitasking, well maybe... Or for the other programs that run in the background.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Oh darn.

So the Intel i5 CPU & the MSI motherboard you recommended will work with the DDR4-3200 consisting of 32GB.
And also my current GPU?

Stick with either of the two builds I recommended at first. The RAM I linked later on was JUST AN EXAMPLE of not mixing RAM kits. With an Intel build, I'd recommend DDR4-2400 RAM. With the AMD build, go with DDR4-3200 RAM as the AMD CPU can take advantage of the faster RAM.

-Wolf sends

Hi there. As you can probably tell, i'm no computer person, software wise. I have been told that my computer setup is the reason why it is now crashing & have came here to look for assistance with purchasing the correct parts. A lot of what you said, I have no clue what it means, VRM's, PCPP and such. Though I do appreciate your comment. Guy by the name of Wolfshadow has found a suitable CPU & MB that is compatible with my GPU and I believe new RAM too.

Quite interesting regarding the AMD CPU. Though I don't think it's worth double the price for the ability to multi task better. Or maybe it is, I don't know. If playing a Steam game and having Chrome open on another monitor is multitasking, well maybe... Or for the other programs that run in the background.
All the above part lists are current gen and fully compatible with your GPU. Question is what is better value for money. The 9600k build provided by Wolfshadw is close to 450 bucks. The 3700x build I gave you is not too much above that. I am not taking anything away from Wolfshadws build or pushing mine for that matter. My point is 6 core/6 thread is not good value anymore given the current nature of games and softwares and the kind of CPUs on offer currently. A 8 core/16 thread, or for that matter even a 6 core/12 thread CPU should serve you better and longer around the same price point. If you want to go with Wolfshadw's build, the would suggest to go with the AMD build he has given. Its more value for money and completely compatible with your GPU. Or something like this...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor | $199.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard | MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard | $114.99 @ Amazon
| Total | $384.97
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-24 03:38 EST-0500 |