In Pictures: 20 MMOGs You Should Explore, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
It's funny because only 1 or 2 games here are even remotely taxing on your hardware.

Entropia Universe is visually very impressive in comparison to everything else but I still haven't got the hang of it, I ran out of ammunition during hunter training and now I can't finish it.

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
[citation][nom]HappyBB[/nom]The subscription fees for many of these games are just too expensive and outrageous!! That's why I hate MMOGs.[/citation]
when you consider buying a game for 50 60 bucks that will only last say at max 3 mounths usually it is worth it

kathiki

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Vangaurd saga of heroes is just about the most wonderful, rich and elaborate mmorpg of all times..... i would say equal to the complexity and depth of eve online....

the description above for a world that is not enough for high lvl players is far from true. After 2 years of exploration on this HUGE mmorpg i found myself having not even remotely discovered 30% of the land......

factions, diplomacy affecting factions, very entertaining raiding and countless hours of fun with quests.......

The graphics in the game still look awesome for its genre, but your pc needs to have real horse power to play it.....

kathiki

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]i dont like rpg's. i find them repetitive and tedious after some time. give me a gun and a nanosuit, and i'm fine.[/citation]

i would say you still have not experienced the fun of pvp against other players while having to use more than 30 skills at your disposal, nor the fact that you also need to have played the other classes and subclasses to be able to know their potential, their weaknesses and their strong points...

aren't all games repetitive after some time? are most games of the fps genre a 20-30 hours of experience for 60-80 euros? isn't that a major rip-off?

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Aion is taxing when it comes to sieges though that's more the servers being unable to cope. I imagine it'll be a different story once 3.0 is released - your whole system will fall to its knees regardless of whether you're sieging or not. ;)

Aion has been spotted on the cheap though, you just need to look.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I may have to try a couple of these to pass the time while I wait for the various beta events for Rift. That game is shaping up to be freaking awesome.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]kelfen[/nom]when you consider buying a game for 50 60 bucks that will only last say at max 3 mounths usually it is worth it[/citation]

Or I could buy guild wars 2 when it comes out. Gonna be 50$ most likely and have no dumb monthly fee. Oh and it will last longer than 3 months.

bens1

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Personally I'm not a big fan of MMORPG's, but I would be interested in a MMORTS. Does such a thing exist?

Thanks
Ben

G

Anybody addicted to this genre or wanting to try for free, and I really do mean free, should try out Shards of Dalaya. This is based on EQ but is incredibly challenging and massively addictive. www.shardsofdalaya.com for the MMOG of you rlife.

AstroTC

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
[citation][nom]bens1[/nom]Personally I'm not a big fan of MMORPG's, but I would be interested in a MMORTS. Does such a thing exist?ThanksBen[/citation]
atlantica online and its very good too

When I see "microtransactions," I see "Player must keep paying to advance in the game, otherwise it deadends;" that makes me very hesitant to try one.
I would consider a subscription, if the cost were in line with a magazine or similar subscription content, perhaps $6 per month.
Otherwise, you'll find me still in Guild Wars, though eagerly awaiting Guild Wars 2.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]i dont like rpg's. i find them repetitive and tedious after some time. give me a gun and a nanosuit, and i'm fine.[/citation]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you basically saying Halo is less repetitive and tedious than an RPG? I don't mean to burst you bubble or anything, but Zelda for NES has more depth than Halo and most, if not all similar titles.

As a side note, I find MMOs interesting, but always end up indifferent towards them due to their inherent model of "gameplay". They all run on a grind, and I haven't found one yet that actually makes the money or time worthwhile.

sirmorluk

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]bildo123[/nom]Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you basically saying Halo is less repetitive and tedious than an RPG? I don't mean to burst you bubble or anything, but Zelda for NES has more depth than Halo and most, if not all similar titles.As a side note, I find MMOs interesting, but always end up indifferent towards them due to their inherent model of "gameplay". They all run on a grind, and I haven't found one yet that actually makes the money or time worthwhile.[/citation]
Try Battleground Europe. No grind, but it will probably be the most difficult game you will ever play. The learning curve is so steep many people just cannot play it and be consistently good at it. Anyway if you like realism, non HP damage models, and war simulation you will like if you can make it through the early struggles of a new player.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
[citation][nom]bens1[/nom]Personally I'm not a big fan of MMORPG's, but I would be interested in a MMORTS. Does such a thing exist?ThanksBen[/citation]
Age of Empires is comming out with its own MMORTS type game. Right now its in closed beta and should reach open beta soon.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Games, live everything else, are pretty much a matter of tastes. But saying RPG's are repetitive while FPS are not is a bit odd to me. RPG's take place in ever-expanding worlds where you have a quasi-infinite arsenal at your disposition, while FPS are gives you a closed map with a limited range of weapons. The gameplay might be repetitive, but so are FPS. Once you get a hold of a game, regardless of the genre, the gameplay itself is bound to become repetitive. It's the content that keeps the game fun.

helldog3105

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
"By May 2007, SOE had squired all assets from Sigil and retained over half of the Vanguard development team."

I love how you put this. What Sony supposedly did was this. They called a meeting and told the development team to come out to the parking lot. When everyone was there, they told half of the team they were fired and to go home. From what I understand they weren't even allowed back into the build to take their personal effects, they were mailed to them. Yeah, I want to support a game that treats it's developers that bad. Gotta love big companies.

Harby

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]AstroTC[/nom]atlantica online and its very good too[/citation]

Atlantica is unique and has awesome gameplay. If it was subscription based I'd be playing it without second thoughts. But nDoors are greedy as f**k and nowadays unless you're willing to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars you aint getting anywhere. I've played tens and tens of "free to play" mmos and Atlantica is hands down the most expensive. Too bad..

Status
Not open for further replies.