In Pictures: 20 Must-See Games And Components From E3 2010

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ananke

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Console imput controllers are simplier - you have more action titles. You cannot play a game that requires full keyboard, yet. If the console makers want game diversity and entertainment dominance, they need to incorporate keyboards as standard feature in the next generation of consoles, i.e. effectively making the devices proprietery computer terminals. I, as a consumer, will not buy proprietery computer just for playing games though :)

geofry

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I want the 2 minutes of my life back that took to look through those "must have" items. There wasn't a single thing that was even remotely interesting.

I'd be more intereted in 3-monitor (2500x1600 each) gaming PCs and what it takes to get them running at 60-100fps than toys and retread games for consoles.

frogman7

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Anyone else catch
"According to Sony, the environments are 10 times the size of those found in the previous PlayStation 2 exclusive, Killzone 2."
Killzone 2 was on playstation 2?

frogman7

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Anyone else catch
"According to Sony, the environments are 10 times the size of those found in the previous PlayStation 2 exclusive, Killzone 2."
Killzone 2 was on playstation 2?

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Halo: Reach could very well be one of the biggest titles of 2010.
You're kidding right? At best it's a: "meh, another console game."
LittleBigPlanet 2
The only game on the list I will miss not being able to play. Then again, its commands can't be better than its host's, so it's not a terrible loss- even if a notable one.
Can't wait.
Best game on the list, excluding StarCraft 2 (I just assumed it was on the list- not even on it? Best game of the year, likely millennium is not on the most anticipated list- way to go.)
Valve is working on enabling co-op games on Steam, allowing PC gamers and PlayStation 3 gamers to play side-by-side.
That seems to be like a good idea on the surface and an annoying realization for anyone that knows how console controls work. I sure would love to have a console control wielding enemy, and I certainly wouldn't want to have one as an ally. Even if by some small miracle they're not a complete idiot, their play style surely will be, due to ingenious controls employed by the consoles. If you're not sure how brilliant their controls are just think back to Dead Space 1- a great game with equally great (inverse) controls. Here's to hoping Dead Space 2 uses less unsatisfying commands.
Rage- It's a first-person shooter from id Software. Honestly, how could it not be on a must-have list?
If you dont care about fps, then it's very easy. That said, I'm looking forward to it :)
Deus Ex, XCOM
Will have to wait and see. So far, very meh.
Mortal Kombat
The only game on the list that I can actually see being fit for the console controller. I hope there will be a PC version. Mk 1-4 were very good, too bad they stopped making it after 4. (if you couldn't tell by now, I dont bother myself with consoles- when they get a usable controls for something other than mortal kombat I will consider not hating one.)
Epic Mickey
looks interesting.
Honorable mentions go to Halo and Gears of war. I played both games and gave up after an hour of play or so. I think I know why they chose to do sequels only for the consoles- not many people on PC would be excited with one. I guess you need hard-to-play controls to truly enjoy these games, otherwise you might find fault with everything else.
Games not on my list? Too meh to mention.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Not a single interesting entry... Civilization 5 is the biggest release of 2010 in my book anyway. Hopefully Diablo 3 next year. And no, I don't care about Starcraft 2 either.

G

The Irony is killing me. Commenting about comments, lol.

The article was O.K. Since I don't really play consoles, it did not do anything for me as far as info goes. It is interesting to see the direction of console gaming though.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I think what some people commenting here need to realize is the reason for so much FPS games is because that is whats "in" for the console gamers. Obviously its just devs and publishers trying to capitalize on such. Also its of course expected for most of them to be sub-par
when they are aimed for console gamers. Take the whole Halo series as a example sub-par is the best word to define them yet console gamers eat it up because its the best consoles have to offer.

So what do you expect them to do? Make a sub-par game faster and cheaper that will sell massively or make a great game that will likely only appeal to the PC gamers and very few console gamers. Let them flood the market with the same old crap because one it gets overflooded and most games fail to sell they will then realize they need to be innovative once again or go bankrupt.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
is toms on the take ?
anyone else notice how shooter heavy this half baked list was ?
must see , by whoms opinion ?
how are a swelling list of same old fps'ers a top must see list ?

don't get me wrong i like shooters and i'm very enthused about a afew of these games myself, butthe alck of genre variety here is astounding , what about starcraft 2 , fable 3 , dead rising 2 , fallout new vegas? those are all games I want to see (and own) more than any other game on this list, and i sure at least one or two of those games ahda showing at E3 , so why arn't any of them on this list ?

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]user-one[/nom]For Dead Space 2, the team tried to incorporate additional visual reactions into Issac Clarke as he explores the mysterious, yet hostile, environment. There's also the ability to impale enemies by using the severed limbs of other enemies, adding to Issac's list of weaponry and unique killing styles. The presentation also revealed that gamers will finally hear Issac's voice and actually see his face, a factor missing from the previous installment. really IGN? you mean to tell me you guys didnt know you can pan the camera around in the beginning shuttle sequence before he puts his helmet on, to see his face? wow, can i have a game testing job?[/citation]

actually showing a cahracters face can hurt a game , in teh first game they didn';t do this for a very good reason , New IP, as a new IP it is crucial to take on as many fans as possible , by NOtr show the main cahracters face or eharign him talk , more peopel get into the game otherwise , because it allows them to use thier imagination to fil in the blansk adn thus they associate with the character more . fact is the world is full of predjudice and even strait racism , showign a charactrers face , will inevitably alienate part of the market. by not showing his face, fewer peopel get alienated.for this same reason they never show master chief's face in any of the games. but DS guys knwo they can get off with this on DS 2 because in truth after teh first installment , the fans the game has wont care at this point wont care what he looks like. the same could be said if they had shown Master cheif in halo 2 or 3 but bungie decided to enver show his face. but point is it wasn'tthat the devs were to dumb to pan a camera , it was a marketing decision not to show the characters face. plain and simple

MJRSnyder

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]I think what some people commenting here need to realize is the reason for so much FPS games is because that is whats "in" for the console gamers. Obviously its just devs and publishers trying to capitalize on such. Also its of course expected for most of them to be sub-parwhen they are aimed for console gamers. Take the whole Halo series as a example sub-par is the best word to define them yet console gamers eat it up because its the best consoles have to offer.So what do you expect them to do? Make a sub-par game faster and cheaper that will sell massively or make a great game that will likely only appeal to the PC gamers and very few console gamers. Let them flood the market with the same old crap because one it gets overflooded and most games fail to sell they will then realize they need to be innovative once again or go bankrupt.[/citation]

the proverbial nail has been hit on the head

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]"Most games still look 4 years old, thanks to the prehistoric hardware in consoles, these are making a mokery of 5970 & likes owners.."Not that many people own 5970's! If they made games that only ran on 5970's they wouldn't get many sales then would they??[/citation]
Yeah but even my 5770 and Phenom II kick the A of the consoles.

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
ta152h said it for me, precisely!

He/She said:
So, basically, there were three games? The Donkey Kong, the Mickey Mouse, and all the rest?

It's pathetic how brain-dead these games are. 20 years ago you had a real selection with types of games, not all repetitions of the same theme. Me hit you over head/shoot you with gun/shoot you with laser/kick you. Me simple minded player.

Ugggh. No wonder kids are so stupid now. This is their mental stimulation?

I (Kreelor) find hardly ANY imagination being used by game developers. It's like trying to find an original storyline in movies or television; everything is just re-worked to death!

I don't know of one single game (for the PC) that has state-of-the-art superior and complete, Artificial Intelligence (as its core function), so that every player "creates" their own future (in the game), by their current actions during the game.

Without that, everything else is like reading the same book, over and over again, but written by a different, usually inept, author.

gr33nf00t

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
About #14:
So, PC players and PS3 players will be able to face off. I seem to remember an article saying that Microsoft tried to implement something similar with Windows Live, just to scrap it when they learned that PC gamers tooled on the 360 players. Hope the thumb-button monkeys enjoy the heaping pile of butthurt they're gonna be exposed to.

James296

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
yawn, not much there to look at. the 3D and motion stuff will wear off, call me when they develop Halographic controls ;)
anyway, the only games I look forward to playing are GoW3, F3 and a few other that I can't remember off the top of my head

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]So, basically, there were three games? The Donkey Kong, the Mickey Mouse, and all the rest?It's pathetic how brain-dead these games are. 20 years ago you had a real selection with types of games, not all repetitions of the same theme. Me hit you over head/shoot you with gun/shoot you with laser/kick you. Me simple minded player. Ugggh. No wonder kids are so stupid now. This is their mental stimulation?[/citation]

you forget 20years ago you were a kid and didnt see the big picture...all i remember from back then is running and jumping and of course the turn based rpg's

Status
Not open for further replies.