In Pictures: 30 Famous Fictional Computers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedPigeon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
This seems like a big, big oversight..
From IMDB...
The computer used in the [Lost in Space] series is the Burroughs B-205. This computer, with its flashing light console and large reel-to-reel tape drives, would appear multiple times in 1960s' motion pictures and television. Among its screen credits are The Angry Red Planet,Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea,The Time Travelers,Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine,Hogan's Heroes, The Time Tunnel, Batman,Fantastic Voyage, The Green Hornet, Land of the Giants, The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, The Towering Inferno, The Right Stuffand Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me.

WickedPigeon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
The computer used in the [Lost in Space] series is the Burroughs B-205. This computer, with its flashing light console and large reel-to-reel tape drives, would appear multiple times in 1960s' motion pictures and television. Among its screen credits are The Angry Red Planet,Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea,The Time Travelers,Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine,Hogan's Heroes, The Time Tunnel, Batman,Fantastic Voyage, The Green Hornet, Land of the Giants, The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, The Towering Inferno, The Right Stuffand Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me.

xi1inx

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
How many of your know Colossus : the Forbin project. This is a über computer for it's time. This movie is very unratedm it's a must for it's time.
Colossus: The Forbin Project is a 1970 American science fiction thriller film. It is based upon the 1966 novel Colossus, by Dennis Feltham Jones, about a massive American defense computer, named Colossus, becoming sentient and deciding to assume control of the world.[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus:_The_Forbin_Project

xi1inx

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
How many of your know Colossus : the Forbin project. This is a über computer for it's time. This movie is very unratedm it's a must for it's time.
Colossus: The Forbin Project is a 1970 American science fiction thriller film. It is based upon the 1966 novel Colossus, by Dennis Feltham Jones, about a massive American defense computer, named Colossus, becoming sentient and deciding to assume control of the world.[1]

xi1inx

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009

Brian Hathaway

Honorable
May 31, 2013
Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064177/
"An artificially intelligent supercomputer is developed and activated, only to reveal that it has a sinister agenda of its own."

quixilver1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Data from Star Trek. How could you leave him off the list. One of the few "good guy" computers in show biz and also one of the few determined to attain humanity and he gets left off the list. That's not right, Dave; that's just not right. (slow head shaking)

NoCaDrummer

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I agree with the additions of billafu and Flying-Q, and the notation that laptops with software don't really count. But I'd add the computer from "The Invisible Boy", the computer from "Westworld" and "Futureworld".
Also note that the infamous computer from Star Trek (TOS) was NOT called "Duotronic", but "M5", with the circuitry being a "positronic/duotronic" system.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
WOW holy cr-- I can't believe they mentioned the "Return of the living dead" computer !!! it was hardly even a big mention in the movie. Don't get me wrong I like that they mentioned it I love that movie,but every other movie computer they showed mad much bigger impact on the movies plot than this one had.

mindbreaker

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
D.A.R.Y.L. , Johny 5, David (AI), GERTY (Moon), "Robot" (Class M-3 Model B9 from lost in space), Twiki and Dr. Theopolis (Buck Rogers), Imperious Leader or Lucifer, both memorable (first Battlestar Galactica), Kryten and Holly (Red Dwarf), and Cassandra (Red Dwarf) was a very interesting computer even if it was only one episode.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
The most important one Galaxina . Data and Borg (Like 7_of_9) from Star Trek and Doctor Who TARDIS and foes Daleks. Cylons from Battlestar Galactica

Status
Not open for further replies.