In Pictures: 30 Famous Fictional Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

I wouldn't call it filler. I think enthusiasts often look at science fiction for inspiration and that inspiration drives innovation.

Would we have smartphones with the capabilities they have today if it weren't for the Star Trek communicator driving people's imaginations?

If it weren't for people asking themselves "what if?" I don't believe that we would have near the wonderful devices we do today.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
^ I want pointing to this specific article, but to the general "30 of the blah blah blah" picture slideshows that are posted in lieu of a genuine article, on most fridays.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008

Don't forget it also does fingerprints in CSI as well. And when the machine is down they have to do it "old school" and it will take awhile, and have have the fingerprints displayed on what is probably 2x 60+in screens in the background. Despite them showing the prints for no more than 1 second I could tell you they were not the same print, heck they weren't even the same type of finger print. I could go on with all the stupid things they do with computers in that show.

And remember kids if you don't like this post I watch CSI "I create a GUI interface using visual basic see if I can track an IP address."

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Some of the choices for a top 30 seem weird in that a bit of fake software is justified in making a laptop 'famous', and there are some glaring omissions as well.
How about the female humaniform robot Futura from the black and white movie 'Metropolis' from the 1920's, GORT from 'The Day The Earth Stood Still' (the original 1950's), or the Library computer 'Prime Radient' from Azimov's 'Foundation' series.
Still more: The Great Machine and Robby from 'Forbidden Planet', NDR-113 (Andrew) from 'Bicentennial Man', Zen and ORAC from 'Blakes 7', Twiki and Dr Theopolis from 'Buck Rogers...', Ziggy from 'Quantum Leap', Proteus IV from 'Demon Seed', Max (compliance!) from 'Flight of the Navigator', Huey, Louey and Dewey from 'Silent Running', Johnny-5 from 'Short Circuit', T-800 and T-1000 from 'Terminator' series, Sonny from 'I-Robot',

billafu

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Colossus: The Forbin Project, Proteus from Demon Seed, the robot from Lost In Space, Robbie from Forbidden Planet, MULTIVAC and R. Daneel Olivaw from the works of Isaac Asimov. Data, Lore, B4. Huey, Dewey and Louie from Silent Running. Gort from The Day The Earth Stood Still/The Master. I think these all could be added to the list.

Shawn Jetton

Honorable
May 31, 2013
Not to be picky but the the picture you posted for "weird science" is from the TV from 1994 not the movie from 1985.

Also, what no BORG?

jack1982

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Neat article, there are a few of those movies I haven't seen, I'll have to check them out. Hey how about "Voice" from Cleopatra 2525? Surely I can't be the only guy who watched that show :)

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Cortana from Halo.....Johnny 5 from Short Circuit is a MUST. Siri from the iPhone maybe? By throwing in GladOS from Portal you open up the selection to the entire world of awesome video game computers. How about the Ship AI from Starcraft? The BORG from Star Trek does seem like a massive omission and I am not even a big Trekky. Auto from Wall-E I think also deserves a spot here.

PlexusIT

Honorable
May 31, 2013
The picture for WOPR of War Games sums up how Hollywood tends to represent a SysAdmin's interaction with servers: We walk around them with a clip board in our hands. If we could see this SysAdmins face, she would have a concerned look as she interprets the blinking lights.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
how about the holographic computer used by Johnny Mnemonic? or his own brain which had 320GB of storage? (kinda laughable in today's term since you can carry terrabytes of storage on a single HDD)
also missing the UNIX system from Jurassic Park...
and Macintosh PowerBook used to hack the alien mothership on Independence Day...

Status
Not open for further replies.