In Pictures: A History Of Computer RPGs

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Quite a jump there...Baldur’s Gate to Dragon Age: Origins?

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Huge gap from 1998 to 2009... I'd put Diablo II on its own in that timeframe, but that might be just me... It was significantly more advanced in game play compared to Diablo and in fact most other action RPGs to stand alone on a hilltop... Even the new Diablo 3 yet to be released seems to pale compared to it (at least according to impressions from the Diablo 3 Beta).

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind was the defining video game of my adolescence and it's not listed?

It feels like you're missing a few between numbers 15 and 16...

G

What about Dungeon Master ? My DOS favourite for several years

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Wow, just wrong on so many levels

Dungeon Siege needed to be on there.
1st RPG game to never have a loading screen, and it also had the whole "dumbed down for causal retards" leveling mechanics designers seem to be implementing only now... this game came out a decade ago.
Infact, the only thing Diablo III is, is an improved version of Dungeon Siege II.

Also, Darkstone needed to be on the list, as the 1st 3D action RPG.

Let's not forget PlaneScape Torment, that thing was pretty much a novel with graphical exploration and combat.

There is also the old Crescent Hawk Battle Tech RPG.., Plot your orders, and then watch the battle unfold in real-time. That definitely needed to be on there, with the whole salvaging enemies, upgrading mechs etc...

These things I mention brought to the table by these RPGs are important.

You didn't even scratch into the non-fantasy RPGs like Auto-Duel, Twilight 2000 and StarFlight

:\

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
We have tried to include games that made a big contribution to the development of the genre. Sadly, our original list included more than 30 games, so we had to make some hard choices, and not everybody's favorite will be on the list.

Looks like someone doesn't read the whole article. :ange:

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
How in the hell are you not going to mention Everquest or World of Warcraft? mmoRPG's not represented at all.

...or LORD on BBS.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
This comes off more as the author's personal playlist. There are so many gaps in there. Almost too painful to look at...and then there is the whole zipping from 1998 to 2009...so I guess nothing good came out between then, huh?

punk4evr

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Yeas, I was gonna Say, Zork, Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy, Leather Goddesses of Phobos, Kings Quest, Space Quest, Leisure Suite Larry, Eric the Unready. There are several more, but Can't think at the moment. Oooo.... Sam and Max hit the road was great to. I thought that LGOP was Epic in the full talkie version!

Status
Not open for further replies.