In Pictures: Five Eight-Slot Cases For CrossFire And SLI

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

No Corsair case? Or did i miss one....Corsair 800D is sexy and it has so much room its not even funny....HAF cases are like little kids compared...and I like big black cases...they look great.

kristoffe

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
you want a 'sleek' case that is silver? buy an apple and boot camp. leave the fun to everyone else here and go away. p.s. there are TONS of sleek cases out there, this is an enthusiast thing, and you can easily replace the fans with ones without blinky lights. :) lol.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]kristoffe[/nom]there are TONS of sleek cases out there, this is an enthusiast thing[/citation]No it's not, its a matter of personal taste. There are many non-bling enthusiast cases on the market, including most Lian-Li's, the Fortress 2, and the ATCS 840.

kristoffe

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
lol. I guess if you don't like extruded modular casing design it is. Again, there are tons of other cases out there that are sleek and not battlestar galactica. honestly, the sleek ones are fun to dremel and modulate, so you're kind of back to these. I would LOVE to see metal cases in these shapes. Those cube cases are amazing too.

goingCrazy2011

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I would like to see more water cooling capable cases that did not have windows. I want my overclock to speak for itself and not show my plumbing and wire routing skills to the world. I also use my system for playing movies on the HDTV and do not need a bunch of distracting LEDs competing with the movie.

shag00

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I just purchased a HAF 922 case and what a disappointment it is in so many ways:

FUNCTION
1. the cooling hole for an after market cooler (cut in the panel you mount the motherboard on) does not accomodate the ASRock extreme 4 motherboard so I needed to hacksaw a bigger hole.
2. The rear fan is in 2 pieces, the motor and the blade however there is no mechanism to secure the blade to the motor (it does spin however).
3. The 3.5 inch trays are positioned so that the front of the drives face towards the side of the casing however the entire rack is positioned so that there is insufficient room at the rear (left hand side) to properly accomodate the power connector cables. To put the left hand side side-panel in place you need to lay the computer down so its right hand side side-panel is on the floor and force the left panel on.
4. The retaining system provided in the 3.5 inch bays is completly useless employing a rubber grommet and steel pin. I was unable to find a way to install my drives without the steel pin being forced through the grommet which in turn prevented me from inserting the drive tray into its housing. Fortunatly there was provision for using 2 screws to hold the drive in the tray.
5. The retaining system for the 5.25 inch drive slots is only marginally better than for the 3.5 inch. It is a push button affair on one side only and unlocks completly if any presure is applied to the drive or header, eg, plugging in a USB 3 cables moves the header backwards and unplugging it pulls it forward.
6. There is no fine dust filter on the front air intake.
7. An ESATA front port is provided but no power outlet - WTF?

FORM
1. There is an overpowering sense of cheapness when you crack open the case.
2. It is ugly.

GOOD POINTS
1. Big and roomy for large graphics cards.
2. Big fans.

RECOMMENDATION
Buy another brand.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]I'm using the HAF 932 AMD Edition and it's just marvelous. It's the HAF-X in essence, but with lil' more red, lol.Anyway, all of those look like very good cases, but the HAF comes with lil' wheels; It's very practical when you're tweaking in a timely manner and have to move around the case a lot (around the house, that is). It's really heavy once it's fully installed and all. Do the others have lil' wheels as an extra accessory? I'm really grateful to that feature as it's also easier to move it and clean (have it at floor level).Cheers![/citation]

F'yea! AMD edition is dead sex is it not? Not quite the HAF X though, which has larger top fans and that HUGE side fan. . . and USB3.0 which looks nice.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]mosox[/nom]40 pages?Pathetic. It seems Tom's is lately being run by some bimbo from marketing or PR.[/citation]It's a slide show. If you wanted fewer pictures, you could have used the menu at the bottom to jump ahead.

lmnlm3

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
The thermaltake looks cool with the liquid ports, but really I like the modular internal feel of that HAF - if I wasn't rocking my CM690 I'd jump on one. Reminds me in a way of the Mac Pro cases, where the heat from different components is kept separate from each other (that spot for the psu, etc) and it looks tough - like milspec =D

lmnlm3

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I didn't even notice the psu business on the Raven! I might be in the market for a new case all of a sudden.....

halcyon

Splendid
I know I'm asking for it by suggesting this, but I think it'd be nice if some vendor (besides Lian Li) could make a copy of of the Mac Pro case, using the same heavy gauge of aluminum that Apple uses (not that thin stuff Lian Li seems to love so much).

I bet a lot of folks that like a clean, quality design would be all over that. Maybe not, maybe most gamers prefer the kind of...uh...design that is represented here.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Halcyon, CoolerMaster has long made cases similar to it, but from steel, not aluminum. My brother and sis-in-law have a pair of old CoolerMaster cases from around '03 or '04 that look a LOT like the Mac Pro case design Apple adopted around the same time. The original CM-690 even shows some resemblance (aside from the looped handles/legs).

The real difference between such cases is the R&D time that was put into making the Mac Pro cases strong, quiet, and airflow-efficient. A similar case brought to the open market would probably demand a fairly hefty price premium, which would hinder its sales. It would likely be far more profitable to make something somewhat similar from less-expensive materials that can be sold at a lower price (and thus also likely in greater number) for at least equal or greater margin.

I'm a gamer and I do prefer cleaner designs. I don't mind the occasional LED fan or two, but for the most part, I prefer my cases smooth and sleek. I guess that's why I have a CM-690, an older Antec Sonata, and used to have a Tsunami Dream (no window).

halcyon

Splendid

I built my mom's rig in a CM-690. I really never considered that chassis (as nice as it is) to be similar to my Mac Pro's chassis. I'd happily spend the money on a Mac Pro chassis clone before i would that ThermalTake thing they charged $700 for (can't even remember what its called)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]Proximon[/nom]It wasn't that nice a try The urls never showed because we already have them blocked[/citation]But doesn't Google see them anyway? Which would improve the standing of his site in Google searches? You can't possibly be everywhere at once to detect this type of nefarious activity...or can you...(cue creepy music).

Status
Not open for further replies.