In Pictures: Meet The World's Fastest Netbook

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drip50291

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
I actually think it can play cr**** what do u mean dont metion it. Judging by this we're not that far away to hating the guy next to us on the bus or subway for being like YEA IM PLAYIN C*****. and saying piss off after i axe kick his netbook out of his freakin cocky ass hands. lol

PS. this article (picture article?) is amazing TOMS PWNS SO EFING HARD!!
PS.. you wanna talk about iSlate. iSLATE?! (u wanna talk about playoffs?! PLAYOFFS?!)

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
This is most poorly written article I have ever taken the time to read. It says "Meet the World's Fastest Netbook" and I see pictures of everything but the netbook. Just give us the specs up front and pictures and get to the point. I don't care about the history of netbooks.

anh

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Battery life has only a little effect. You can run this unit for up to 2 and a half hour with 50% LCD brightness.
UX series has Intel GMA950 onboard graphic.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
This is pretty amazing. Kudos to the team of modders, i'm impressed by the dedication they took to make that mod (swapping a soldered CPU!!)

rupicolous

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
Great job on the mods !!!

I'm a UX owner myself but use it only for on the run emergencies due to it's very slow performance.

I'd love to see a company outsource the modifications someday.

It would be interesting to measure it's heat signature as well as battery drain times.

rupicolous

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009

I'm a UX owner myself but use it only for on the run emergencies due to it's very slow performance.

It would be interesting to measure it's heat signature as well as battery drain times.

rupicolous

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009

rupicolous

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009

zanraptora

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Impressive... I would suggest these guys try to market this as a prototype... I would buy something like this in a heartbeat.

On the topic of price however, realize that the device would need an certain profit margin and that might bring the device up beyond the price that might be in the netbook area

yyrkoon

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
"Mac OS X was installed and adapted by the members of the forum (including technogeekchris) and by Anh. Finally, there’s a portable Mac you can take anywhere with a touchscreen, 3.5G wireless, and GSM voice mode."

Except they broke how many laws when breaking Apples EULA ? I too would love to install OSX on any random hardware, except apple still owns it and makes the rules. Last I read, the only "non Macs" allowed to run OSX were the Apple dev machines sold directly from Apple. Granted, from what I understand. Now days the only thing to make this distinction is a chip on the motherboard that says . . ."Hey, I'm a Mac".

darkerx

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
This device is a question asked to Sony/Apple/every computer manufacture: "guys, why have we been obliged to do it ourselves!? "...

We don't have in mind (we are only 2 people, and not rich enough anyway...) to mass-produce it, and then to hurt anyone's sales (it only gave me the opportunity to type this answer from Macos X :) )... But if anyone buys the required parts on e-bay, and sends them to Anh, he will have the same device and be able to install the same OS (or any linux...).

By the way, for anyone willing to have the same device:
-Find a UX280 or higher (500$)
-buy a vodafone k3520
-buy an U7700
-grab a 1.8' ssd
-for macos buy the wifi card described in the article
-Send everything to Anh...
-Install any os you like!

As I won't sell mine (I'm using it right now...), it's the only way to have one... :)
(having Windows 7 booting in 15 seconds is fun too...)

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
!
Someone give these guys a chocolate chip cookie.
Made up of pure gold and flawless diamonds!

I've said before that the modding community can do better than the actual devs, but I've always refered to software, but now hardware too it seems!

Now Sony, make one with 2GB of RAM, 256GB SSD, 1.5GHz C2D, 500MHz GPU, GPS, and a 1024x768 OLED screen. Shave a millimeter or two off by optimizing components (and do the same for power usage), and add a bigger battery to top it off.
Why the hell would you want a netbook then? Pieces of overpriced junk...

excalibur1814

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Yet apple's tablet will be the first tablet every released! I've showed three people my HD2 this week and each one, no lie, stated, "Ahh that's just like the iPhone!". I cried

darkerx

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
Hum... I don't think Apple's Tablet will be able to use OSX...

This device do! With touchscreen available everywhere in OSX...
:p

rockne

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
[citation][nom]Bierfuizl[/nom]I'm sill using my Psion 5 (no kidding) but I'd consider switching to one of those machines .[/citation]

My 5mx broke many years ago, but it was a machine way ahead of its time. I'd still use it if it worked. I envy you.

Status
Not open for further replies.