In Pictures: Meet The World's Fastest Netbook

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darkerx

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
Hum...XGP is nice... but you can't have it with you anytime/anywhere, and it is not IN the device... :p

Here we are dealing with a device I always have at my belt... well except under the shower, I have to admit...(so far..)

Adder

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2005
OMFG!! Did I die and go to geek heaven? That is one amazing mod!! Kudos and accolades to you guys!

[citation][nom]darkerx[/nom]... But if anyone buys the required parts on e-bay, and sends them to Anh, he will have the same device and be able to install the same OS (or any linux...).By the way, for anyone willing to have the same device:-Find a UX280 or higher (500$)-buy a vodafone k3520-buy an U7700-grab a 1.8' ssd -for macos buy the wifi card described in the article-Send everything to Anh... -Install any os you like!...

Is this a serious offer? If so, I will be spending all of my time in the foreseeable future tracking down and obtaining the necessary items. And how would I go about sending this stuff to Anh?

Adder

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2005
OMFG!! Did I die and go to geek heaven? That is one amazing mod!! Kudos and accolades to you guys!

[citation][nom]darkerx[/nom]... But if anyone buys the required parts on e-bay, and sends them to Anh, he will have the same device and be able to install the same OS (or any linux...).By the way, for anyone willing to have the same device:-Find a UX280 or higher (500$)-buy a vodafone k3520-buy an U7700-grab a 1.8' ssd -for macos buy the wifi card described in the article-Send everything to Anh... -Install any os you like!...

Is this a serious offer? If so, I will be spending all of my time in the foreseeable future tracking down and obtaining the necessary items. And how would I go about sending this stuff to Anh?

Adder

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2005

Adder

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2005
ACK. Apologies for the multiple posts. For some weird reason, my browser kept saying in couldn't open the page and that the operation was aborted. Should know better than to use IE8 I guess.

Brainstorms

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Congratulations... You've created the "Tucker Automobile" of the netbook world. And the big manufacturers aren't making something like this for the same reason they weren't making cars like the Tucker -- even after Tucker proved it was technologically & economically feasible and contained features people would want and pay for.

Why? Because they, like the auto manufacturers of that day, want to dribble out technology bit-by-bit, releasing "new technology" slowly with ever more models to sell, each having a small step of improvement. They don't want to give it all away at once, as this machine would do. It's a strategy that maximizes their profits, allows them to throttle back R&D spending, and keeps their market constantly upgrading to add that next feature.

Sony, Dell, HP, et al, here's a word to the wise: General Motors.

darkerx

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
Hum... I invested enough to build one... I don't intend to do more :)
And it would have been way too expensive to start such project from zero... so a kind of existing platform was required, UX were perfect.

Anh should design such a device by himself, but it would have been too heavy on finance... :)

Brainstorms

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Considering how much money the big manufacturers spend on all the phases leading up to a fully-functional prototype of a new design (i.e., what you've built), I'd say you've just shown that it wouldn't take much (time-wise or investment-wise) for them to get something like this on the market.

For comparison, read about how Michael Arrington at TechCrunch had a rather similar "Why can't they make something like THIS?" reaction to the lack of a decent multi-media tablet PC. So he did pretty much the same thing you & Ahn did: He got a small team together and just.. built one. A good one -- at a competitive price.

Unfortunately for him, his fab shop stole it out from under him at launch time and is trying to market it themselves. Legal issues may keep it off the market, sadly.

But the point is still there, and underscored by comparing the specs of Apple's iPad (and the reception it's gotten: lots of disappointment in the chosen feature set) to those of Arrington's brainchild, rechristened from the "CrunchPad" to the "JooJoo".

It looks awfully like another case of big industry holding back on us for no real reason (other than my earlier speculation, above).

But, as a fellow engineer, let's not lose this: Way to go! Well done! :^)

darkerx

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
Thank you for your appreciation, it's a great satisfaction for us to read all the positive posts about this device... an other one is to use this device on a daily basis, anywhere/anytime (right now... :) )

I still hope that Sony should market it, as it would be very easy for them... all their production tools have been paid now, so it should even be 'cheap'... except if they definitely lost their pride...

(by the way... OSX is really good/fast/awesome on this device, with a touch-screen and 3.5g... it really does the job... :) )

Brainstorms

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I did want to ask you how well it runs Ubuntu... :^D

Sony won't market it until/unless they spend lots of time & money figuring out a dozen or so subtle ways to make it just oh-so-incompatible with anything else in the world that's not Sony.

(How lucky we are that auto makers never really got going down *that* path of "vendor lock-in"!)

We need a small, hungry start-up somewhere that wants to make a name for itself by stealing the show from the big manufacturers. Or maybe one of the mobile device hardware manufacturers in China/Taiwan... Might need someone who won't see it as competing against one of their existing not-quite-there products.

darkerx

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
Thanks for your support... :)

BTW, there are now many people who have had made more or less the same device... thanks to Anh (who made this one), as he keeps upgrading these things to people's desires :)

BTW (bis), Touch-Base company support us in giving people from our forum crazy rebates when we use their touchscreen drivers with windows7 (wich allows our devices to behave as a full tabletpc (original sony drivers make the screen emulate a mouse...)). :D

Status
Not open for further replies.