Question "Inaccessible Boot Device" after cold boot only on Windows 11 (and 10)

Oct 3, 2024
Hi,

When I boot from cold I get the Windows logo and spinning icon for several minutes then a BSOD that reports:
"Inaccessible boot device."
The system then boots to bios from which I immediately exit and Windows then loads up fine in a few seconds.

Once I'm booted up and Windows is running, if I then restart, Windows re-boots fine in 15 seconds or so.

If I switch on from cold, enter the bios and exit it immediately windows restarts fine in 15 seconds or so.

I've turned off fast boot, checked event viewer and boot log for anything suspicious but nothing stands out, I also updated the bios.
This issue started 'out of the blue', there were no changes to my system that I was aware of.
It actually started when I was on Windows 10, I upgraded to 11 hoping that would fix it but sadly it did not.

Has anybody else had this problem or can recommend anything I can do to solve this?
Does anyone know of a good startup logging program, the one I tried only works from restart?

ta
BB

When I boot from cold I get the Windows logo and spinning icon for several minutes then a BSOD that reports:
"Inaccessible boot device."
The system then boots to bios from which I immediately exit and Windows then loads up fine in a few seconds.

Has anybody else had this problem or can recommend anything I can do to solve this?
How many drives in the system?
It's possible - bootloader is on one drive and OS on a different drive.
Bootloader drive is accessible faster than OS drive.
Then, when you try to boot into windows, OS drive is not available yet.

Please show screenshot from Disk Management.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

KingLoki

Proper
Jul 10, 2024
Have you tried connecting your drive to another port on the motherboard, then check bios hdd settings, then do a cold boot.
What hard drive and motherboard models do you have?

Oct 3, 2024
Thanks, I will try that out.
The MOTHERBOARD is an Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming Motherboard.
The drive is a 2TB Seagate Firecuda 530 M.2 PCIe Gen 4 Solid State Drive.
Thanks again
Bb