INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE After Reset

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xttract

Reputable
May 10, 2014
Hey

I'm experiencing an extremely frustrating issue. I did a clean reset of my PC after experiencing some problems with Windows 10 that could be fixed by resetting. I proceeded to reset my PC.

During the reset, once the resetting circle had reached %100 it came up with the Windows 10 logo and the loading wheel. It then went to a blue screen saying "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you" and down below the error code INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

It then proceeds to restart and repeat the exact same thing. If anyone can fix this I will be extremely great full.

Thank you

Solution
Hello Xttract

Can you please confirm if you are performing a 'clean install' or 'full reset' and removing all your personal files?

Also, are you using SSD along with an HDD? If you are using an SSD with HDD, the chances are that the PC has started looking for the bootable operating system in the HDD.

Disconnecting the HDD from your PC and then Resetting the PC Externally may resolve the issue.

After Windows 10 boots normally, you can reconnect your HDD to the computer.

Hope this helps.

SonyaAnn

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015

SonyaAnn

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015
No sorry didn't start a new thread, this one was a little hopeful since since someone else posted shortly before I did. I have tried everything I can find, my BIOS has been legacy only forever I have switched it to EUFI several times during this trouble shooting process, I have tried everything i can find on inaccessible boot and these error messages nothing has worked yet. I have not found any solutions for this when it comes to windows 10 and nothing suggested for windows 8 works. I am not giving up just yet. I have tried the drive I cloned to in my sons pc, I at least know it does have my files, 1.86 TB free of 1.99TB so that at least is promising... But bootrec commands either do not find the operating system or shows it to be offline or inaccessible. If I cannot get this fixed I will have to start a thread of my own and hope that someone has found a fix for windows 10.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't understand why it happens, it seems so random. Everyone story is similar, worked fine night before, or last time they used it. Then suddenly their hard drive just stops answering the call to arms, and you left with boot loops and pc not being any good anymore. One thing that fixes it is complete destruction of file record (otherwise known as a fresh install). But then sometimes the problem is actually the hard drive, as I tried to help the guy above you last week and everything i could find would not work, he kept reinstalling windows and running into same error. So where does fault lie here?

I wonder if any of this is to do with out dated firmware on the hdd, the one thing no one ever looks at. Just speculating here :)

SonyaAnn

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015
It's insane that no one has came up with a fix.. I have actually had this happen before but adjusting the boot order in bios allowed me to correct but not this time. Before cloning the hard drive I did do a repair install of windows 10 and made sure it was fully updated, rebooted a few times everything was in working order until I cloned the hard drive with acronis true image 2013 (2016 only uninstalled the hard drive and rebooted so I had to revert back to 2013). I'm not trying to do a clean install, while yes I do have our photos and personal files backed up I have many programs I purchased and no longer have those old email addresses to retrieve the software licenses, as a graphic designer I need my photoshop, can't afford to lose that.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I see the issue, that is a dilemma. you can't even afford a reset as you don't know the codes. i can't think of a simple solution, you have all your data backed up but the programs may not work on your sons pc - if they did I would get the serial codes and write them down.

I have used same word document for ever, i record any details i need to recover the software i have bought. It saves so much time after a fresh install.

Have you looked to see if there is a new bios for your pc?

SonyaAnn

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015

My bios was updated in June last year, I'll check to see if there are any new updates.
I caved and did a clean install on an ssd drive, I can access one of the other drives but trying to run the programs I get messages about cricial files missing (this is the drive I cloned to that I accessed0. I thought I was making headway by unplugging the drives and attempting boot, bcd and bootsect commands on each individually, but still inaccessible drives on the 2.. Changing bios settings and boot orders only makes all 3 inaccessible.

Just checked no new BIOS updates since last June.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you need contents for work you can pay to get data recovered, i am not sure if programs will run as well...

Otherwise you could try contacting the companies you bought software off, not sure how they would react.

You have the clone, just odd two drives do same thing right after a clone.

Its likely this is triggered by lots of different things, so one solution may not work in every case.

SonyaAnn

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015

Both dead? Just tried doing a clean install on one of them windows cannot install to that partition tells me to check the bios for sata controllers. Could it be the AHCI/RAID driver is missing? I just did a search and found someone else having that issue and were told to install the correct drivers.

Randol Rafael

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
Guys please help me, I don´t know what to do, I have tried several solutions posted on other forums, but nothing helped me with my problem, I´m trying to reset my laptop (Dell Inspiron 15) without erasing files, but it always brings an error message (INACCESIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE) and if I restart and go in safe mode as someone explained here before doesn´t help because it shows another error (CRITICAL_SERVICE_FAILED), I just want to boot normal in this pc, I´m posting this from another one, what can I do? forgive my english, it´s pretty bad, but thanks

Colif

Win 11 Master

If you have files on laptop you want to keep, use this to make copies: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

I think you need to try to reinstall win 10 on that drive, its about only thing that has a high chance of success. Its not a guarantee as it doesn't always work. But its got more of a chance of working that some of the other approaches.

Download and create a win 10 install USB using this: Windows 10 media creation tool

then you can at least try some of these: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/the-drive-where-windows-is-installed-is-locked

SonyaAnn

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015

Update on my issue.. I have seen a few messages about winload and srtrails while attempting to repair the drives. Winload said something about missing registry items. I can access both drives from the sdd, I can view my files, and attempt to open them. I have ran sfc on both drives from the repair console and found no corrupt files, I have ran chkdsk from the repair console and it has found corrupted files but cannot replace them. Now from within windows on the sdd I have ran sfc on both drives and it found corrupt files it could not replace all of them. I am currently running chkdsk on the second drive from within windows. Any idea how I might be able to replace the missing registry entries?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't know if this will work but its worth a shot... use the command shown here to swap from the c drive in command prompt to the drive letter of a corrupted drive: http://www.digitalcitizen.life/command-prompt-how-use-basic-commands

then try to run the second command on this page: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

DISM should replace any corrupted registry files if it works at all.

SonyaAnn

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015

I'll give that a shot next... Still about 4 hours remaining on the chkdsk. Ran it on the original drive last night no idea what the results were on that since it was still going before I went to bed and I'm guessing the pc went to sleep during the process so I'll probably run it again on that drive after this one finishes. I was wondering about DISM but read it's only for store corruption and does not effect registry entries.

Both of the inaccessible drives have new temp folders which contain bcdinfo.txt, bootfailuretxt, disklayout.text SrtTrail.log (I have seen this one along with winload referrenced before the pc restarts) and SrtTrail.txt.

SrtTrail.txt last entry is Root cause found:
Boot manager is missing or corrupt.
Repair action: File repair
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x15
Time taken = 0 ms

Colif

Win 11 Master
all the "fixes" for the registry are programs you have to install, and I suspect most would just look at the registry on your laptop, not the files on a hdd. You getting into data recovery territory now. Drives are alive, you may not have the tools to access them.

I would try DISM as I can't think of anything else, it could be the versions are corrupt enough to show on its radar,

Merola

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
This just happened to my 3 days old computer. I have 1 SSD (main drive) and one regular HDD. Disconnecting HDD gave no result, tryiing to boot into safe mode, gave same INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE bsod.

This happened after i reinstalled Paragon HFS+ as it stopped assigning drive letters to external HFS+ drives. Did a uninstall / install and rebooted, and then this happened. I'm making a new win 10 boot drive, and try to boot from there. The SSD drive is accessible from command line, in the "repair" menu, and I can look through the directories.

I'll post update later.

And before I could register an account on this forum and finish making USB, the problem was "Solved".
I used the recovery mode in Win 10, and choose recover to previous version of windows (or somthing like that) It froze at the "rebooting" screen, so I hard reset it.. and then it worked... I guess the recovery thingerymoo worked.

SonyaAnn

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015

I think I made a bit more headway but so far nothing has worked DISM restorehealth failed on both drives. I just removed all drives except for the original and tried this method http://rajandmk.blogspot.com/2012/09/how-to-create-clean-bcd-file-to-fix.html for rebuilding the bcd now upon booting I get a black screen that old familiar screen again it mentions winload.exe.. any chance I might be able to just replace this file on the inaccessible drives with the one from the sdd?

Randol Rafael

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
Hey Coliff, here again, success, thanks for your help

If you have files on laptop you want to keep, use this to make copies: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

I think you need to try to reinstall win 10 on that drive, its about only thing that has a high chance of success. Its not a guarantee as it doesn't always work. But its got more of a chance of working that some of the other approaches.

Download and create a win 10 install USB using this: Windows 10 media creation tool

then you can at least try some of these: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/the-drive-where-windows-is-installed-is-locked
[/quotemsg]

jay213

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016
Iv had nothing but horrible trouble with W10, $300 ASUS board, 24 gigs or ram.
i have to reset even though I have a clean system with no software yet, other then firefox and email.

I don't dare turn off my computer because it took 3 hours to start.

I feel aggressive to even ask,

Are people ditching and going to 7?

Colif

Win 11 Master

you should make your own post and more people will respond, we will try to resolve your problem, especially since its a fresh install - it shouldn't happen.

SeiraArraveug

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
In my case the safe mode cannot be access.. But here's what I did.
I removed my ram stick, (only 1 since the other one is onboard, and btw I'm using a laptop, Asus X550LN)
aaaanndd it works,

Status
Not open for further replies.