inaccessible_boot_device (brand newly-built system)

All looked (to this novice, me) like things were going well. I then took my
D: hard drive from my old, and limping, system and installed it in the new
system, also as a slave on the same IDE. I had just performed a fresh disk
image of the old hard drive using Drive Image 2002, placing the image files
on that D: drive in root. (by the way, several weeks ago, I did a
successful restore using Drive Image and from the same D: drive, a hard
disk. Course, that was from D: to C: on the old and limping system. I was
looking forward to doing this exact operation on the new system)

Drive Image reported that all went well. I even used their DOS-looking
explorer to see how file arrangement looked and it looked familiar. (Except
for the puzzle that there were no drive letters at beginning of either the
source drive or the destination drive.)

Then the bootup from the new system. I chose debugging mode and got this
message: "STOP: (several hex numbers appear here)
inaccessible_boot_device.

I then booted from disk 1 of Drive Image floppy, dir a dir c: and got "drive
not found" or some such.

Where do I go from here?

Len Miller

--
Eradicate threes in my NOSPAM address

Howdy!

"Fatfreek" <mil3le3rlr@ark3ans3as.net> wrote in message

<snip>

> Then the bootup from the new system. I chose debugging mode and got this
> message: "STOP: (several hex numbers appear here)
> inaccessible_boot_device.

<snip>

> Where do I go from here?

Boot the XP or 2K install CD and do a "repair install", as is almost
always needed when swapping motherboards.

RwP

"Conor" <conor_turton@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <TP2dnW0AW_TM_xDdRVn-gQ@arkansas.net>,
> mil3le3rlr@ark3ans3as.net says...
> > All looked (to this novice, me) like things were going well. I then
took my
> > D: hard drive from my old, and limping, system and installed it in the
new
> > system, also as a slave on the same IDE. I had just performed a fresh
disk
> > image of the old hard drive using Drive Image 2002, placing the image
files
> > on that D: drive in root. (by the way, several weeks ago, I did a
> > successful restore using Drive Image and from the same D: drive, a hard
> > disk. Course, that was from D: to C: on the old and limping system. I
was
> > looking forward to doing this exact operation on the new system)
> >
> > Drive Image reported that all went well. I even used their DOS-looking
> > explorer to see how file arrangement looked and it looked familiar.
(Except
> > for the puzzle that there were no drive letters at beginning of either
the
> > source drive or the destination drive.)
> >
> > Then the bootup from the new system. I chose debugging mode and got
this
> > message: "STOP: (several hex numbers appear here)
> > inaccessible_boot_device.
> >
> > I then booted from disk 1 of Drive Image floppy, dir a dir c: and got
"drive
> > not found" or some such.
> >
> > Where do I go from here?
> >
> You need to make the partition active.
>

> --
> Conor

Hmmm .... I'll need to look that up to see how it's done. However, for what
it's worth, I just moved that new drive (with the imaged files and the
inaccessible_boot_device message) over to this old machine and that new
drive booted this machine up without a hitch. Yes, I chose safe mode, but
it worked okay. I rebooted, logged online, and am responding to your post.

Meanwhile, while I'm waiting for further elaboration, I'm going to take this
new drive back to the new system and see if things are any different.

Len

You can't do that with XP, just move a hard drive with an XP installation (or use an image) from one machine to another and expect
it to work. 2 options, fresh install or repair install of XP on the new machine.