Question Inconsistent CPU temps and thermal throttling ?

Feb 7, 2023
A few days ago, I found out that my screen would randomly freeze after launching/closing a few games (Black Ops 3, Rocket League, Valorant; Mid-High settings) after updating graphic drivers and cleaning the cooling fans the problem would not be resolved, the freezing continued and I was advised to stress test the GPU and CPU, after a few seconds of stress testing the CPU, it instantly thermal throttled and was even found to occasionally thermal throttle even when it’s idle. I heard this could be resolved by under-volting the CPU, but at the same time this could be a cooling issue. Could there be a fix for this? and if so what are the steps to doing so.

KyaraM

Admirable
Please list your full system specs. Also, if your CPU is already throttling while idle, then undervolting most likely won't help you. What CPU are we even talking, and what is your cooler? It soulds like it's not strong enough for the CPU, or wrongly installed. Only thing helping in that case is a new cooler (if not strong enough), or reinstalling the current one. But to figure that out we need to know what combo we are looking at here. The mainboard can play a role, too.