[SOLVED] Inconsistent Ethernet Ports

aleksfox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
Hey, my google-fu has failed me in finding an answer to this problem so hoping you guys might be able to

I have a ZyXEL P8702N and 2 weeks ago the speed of any device plugged into Port 1 dropped from 600 Mb/s to 90 Mb/s - changed my Ethernet cable to Port 3 and problem solved

But today, Port 2 had the exact same issue, solved by moving to Port 4

Is this a common occurrence? Is the router dying and I need to just get a new one; or is there another issue getting a new one won't solve?

Appreciate any thoughts

Solution
Cables are very strange when you have issues. They can work sometime and not others.

The speed ethernet runs is pretty much a hardware thing. It will either be a bad cable or a bad port. Bad ports you can't really fix that cheaply.

The only things that might have a effect is if the port has some low power or green setting. Those can cause ports to not negotiate the proper speed but in the vast majority of the cases it is a bad cable.

kanewolf

Titan
Hey, my google-fu has failed me in finding an answer to this problem so hoping you guys might be able to

I have a ZyXEL P8702N and 2 weeks ago the speed of any device plugged into Port 1 dropped from 600 Mb/s to 90 Mb/s - changed my Ethernet cable to Port 3 and problem solved

But today, Port 2 had the exact same issue, solved by moving to Port 4

Is this a common occurrence? Is the router dying and I need to just get a new one; or is there another issue getting a new one won't solve?

Appreciate any thoughts
The more likely culprit is cable. If they are old or flat, they are suspect. Get new 100% copper, 22 to 24GA cat5e or cat6a cable. I use monoprice -- https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Flexboot-Cat5e-Ethernet-Patch/dp/B00KWS7GAC

aleksfox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
The more likely culprit is cable. If they are old or flat, they are suspect. Get new 100% copper, 22 to 24GA cat5e or cat6a cable. I use monoprice -- https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Flexboot-Cat5e-Ethernet-Patch/dp/B00KWS7GAC

If the cable was indeed the culprit; would changing it from Port 1 to 3 really make that much difference?

Also when i swapped 2 to 4 It's the old cable but my initial change from 1 to 3 i first went out and bought a brand new cable with the same results

Cables are very strange when you have issues. They can work sometime and not others.

The speed ethernet runs is pretty much a hardware thing. It will either be a bad cable or a bad port. Bad ports you can't really fix that cheaply.

The only things that might have a effect is if the port has some low power or green setting. Those can cause ports to not negotiate the proper speed but in the vast majority of the cases it is a bad cable.

Solution