Question Inconsistent FPS, and GPU usage drops while gaming ?

haydenlowens

Honorable
Nov 10, 2017
For the last couple of weeks while gaming my FPS has been pretty inconsistent, and i had these awful audio pops and clicks and static etc. I googled around and found out about Latencymon and started looking into interrupt affinities,

I set my graphics card and usb hubs to different cpu cores and the awful audio problems went away but im still stuck with inconsistent FPS. I've noticed when it happens my GPU usage is dropping very low for the duration of the stutter, and upon further testing i noticed that when I unplug a usb device (in this case my mouse) I can on demand cause these stutters.

I have my temps on display at all times so i know it's not thermal throttling.
I'm thinking it might be RAM related but i did a memtest a few months back and don't recall any RAM issues.

I also think it could be a power supply issue but in Afterburner's hardware monitor I dont see anything pointing to that, but I could be wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If any information is need to help narrow this down let me know, thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

upon further testing i noticed that when I unplug a usb device (in this case my mouse) I can on demand cause these stutters.
You might want to see if reinstalling your chipset drivers helps alleviate the issue.

haydenlowens

Honorable
Nov 10, 2017
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor

MSI Mag CORELIQUID 240R V2 CPU Liquid Cooler

MPG B550 GAMING PLUS

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 16g 3600 MHz

3x SSD 1x HDD 1x NVME

RTX 3070

ROG THOR 850W Platinum

MSI Gungnir 120R (2 years maybe)

Win 11

Bios: Latest bios as of a few days ago, 7C56v1I1

Main display: Odyssey G50A
Secondary: HP x24ih

I believe i tried reinstalling my chipset drivers i will try again incase i am mistaken

Thanks

haydenlowens

Honorable
Nov 10, 2017
Just reinstalled my chipset drivers, no change, i should note i have also use ddu to reinstall my nvidia drivers also with no change.
I have also changed my power plan settings and set it to maximum performance, i set my cpu maximum/minimum processor state to 100% and set usb selective suspend setting to disabled. Things im reluctant to try but i have heard may solve issues like mine are a fresh windows 11 install, or even a rollback to a older version or even win 10, and a rollback on my nvidia drivers to a older version.
Side note: the usb unplugging causing fps drops seems to only be a problem on elden ring not sure why

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2024
Man, getting old sucks, I had this exact problem with the same possessor and and a Pci-e sound card about 2 years ago and Latencymon was crucial to finding the problem. But for the life of me, I can't remember what the solution was, or what was causing the problem. If it comes to me, I will post it. I just remembered. It was the Ryzen Master Utility. I can't remember what setting I was using but going back to default settings in Ryzen Master and deleting the program fixed my issues. Not sure if this helps but I thought I would put it out there. Good luck.