Question Inconsistent mouse lag for several years even after changing computers, monitors, and peripherals

Nov 12, 2021
Just like the title says, I've been having these inconsistent mouse lags for about a few years now and I have absolutely no idea the cause of them.

What I mean by mouse lag:
  • At random times, the cursor would be sluggish and sometimes less-sluggish.
  • Sometimes, the sluggishness gets worse when moving it around very fast in a short amount of time
This happens in games too, so it's very bad when playing games that show the cursor.

It's very difficult to show what I mean as people who I've shown it to can't seem to see it, but I know for a fact that it's there as it just doesn't feel "snappy" as it did way before I had this issue, and it's evident through the incremental sluggishness at random times, which is very noticeable for me.
Sometimes (Not always) when I turn on the PC, the lag wouldn't be as bad, but a few minutes later it'll go back to being sluggish again.

Things I've tried:
  • 5+ different mice (Recent one has 8khz polling rate, still not fixed)
  • 2 different PCs (First new PC in 2018, second new PC in 2021)
  • 3+ different monitors (144hz or more)
  • 2+ different keyboards
  • Re installation of windows on all PCs
  • Re installation of display drivers on all PCs
  • Those new PCs in a different place
None of those things worked and at this point I feel like I'm going crazy because I absolutely have no idea what's going on.
It's not like a specific program causing this lag either, because I can have nothing open and still it'd occur.

Two things common in all three PCs is that they all have NVIDIA graphic cards and they use Windows 10. From what I remember, I first started to notice these lags after a failure in installing one of the NVIDIA drivers for the first PC I had, but if this is the case, then surely reinstalling these drivers and also reinstalling windows would've fixed it? And surely the other two new PCs wouldn't have this same issue?

The thing I suspected the most was maybe something wrong with the electricity at my place, and so I've tried different sockets, different extension leads, and even a different place and it's still the exact same issue.

Here are my current specs (2021 PC):

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor 3.80 GHz
10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP, LHR
64.0 GB RAM
CORSAIR 750W RMx power supply

2TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD
500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe
2TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD

I really don't know what to do at this point especially since I've looked everywhere and NO ONE seems to have this same issue, and so I was thinking maybe it's Windows 10-specific, somehow.
Any ideas? :(

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021
Ok in your Nvidia control panel, go in to change resolution , is the refresh rate , resolution correct for the monitor? Are the desktop color settings set to max and Use Nvidia settings checked off?

Refresh rate seems correct, same as the max for my monitor.
I'm not sure what you mean by "max" for desktop color settings but yeah it says "Use default color settings" in "Change resolution"

Colif

Win 11 Master
screenshot of picture

OlOeJ1n.jpg

its on imgur so if you still can't see it?

Nov 12, 2021
He has a nice machine a notch up from me but with a larger video card, I get a Lil lag only because it's my junk wireless outfit. But I would say most certainly a setting something's being bottlenecked by a setting.